When is Gerber releasing the Infinity Ultra-M?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the link from the SHOT 2006 show that these are going to be released, but it didn't give a time frame, and tomorrow is May 1st. When are these going to be available?

Chris201W

Enlightened
I may be mistaken, but I thought it was just an Infinity Ultra with HAIII. Much like the government version of the CMG infinity ultra.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris you're right, but the question remains if these are a future product when is it being released? I don't see any retailers selling this and it's not even listed on Gerber's website yet. Hopefully it will be built as good as the CMG's were not the cheaper materials they used for the Gerber versions later on. They claim made in the USA for this new Ultra-M.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
DMZ I heard the price to be about $30 retail. As far as a pic I think it is basically an Ultra - G only with HA-III anodizing, and the color isn't green. Other than that it could all be an urban legend as 1) I have never seen one for sale, 2) heard when they ARE going to be for sale or 3) even seen a prototype.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
leduk said:
What about good old google?

I found this for sale.

It certainly look different from my Ultra and in the picture there's a giveaway "Ultra-M" on the body.

Well, that's disappointing. It looks just like the present Gerber Infinity model with the twisty tail. The only difference appears to be that they've greatly narrowed the opening in front. This should cut off most of the spill light and turn it into a narrow angle beam. I don't see any benefit in that.

C4LED

Enlightened
Jeez, they've taken a great light--ruined it--and made it worse and worse while charging more for it!

Flic

Enlightened
I was really hoping for a re-issue of the CMG Ultra-G, but alas...

The lights are now up on the Gerber web site.

Raven

Enlightened
C4LED said:
Jeez, they've taken a great light--ruined it--and made it worse and worse while charging more for it!

My thoughts exactly.

They took a great light, and ruined it.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny this post should pop up today. I just became aware of this light and was looking for information on it. Here is a link that shows that the light is available now. I may pick one up just to see what it is all about.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?ttl=Gerber%20Infinity%20Lights&srch=eqCATE%20CODEdatarq%3Dgb%26eqKEYWORDdatarq%3Dinfinity

80027.jpg

-Goatee

Last edited:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Is it possible that this new style has a magnified lens like the older style X1 Inova lights? It does look a little like that to me and their claims of 30 feet illumination may be due to the spot like beam of a magnified lense.

I do not like this new Gerber at all....what a shame

Flic

Enlightened
I recently received mine from Knifecentre (great service by the way). What a letdown! The LED appears to be exactly the same as in the regular IU. The narrowed opening has indeed completely eliminated any sidespill. This might be great for covert military operations but is of very limited use for any other purpose. I would not use it to go walking and even reading in bed is problematic. The "lens" appears to be there only to protect the LED and does not concentrate the light. Output is just like taking the hotspot from the IU and removing all sidespill. The double o-rings are nice, but the quality of the anodizing is another disappointment. Mine arrived with minor faults (chips?) in the anodizing on the head and tailcap.

Like many others, I was hoping for a revived Ultra G... no such luck.

LightHearted

Enlightened
Man, that stinks. I was already having a bad day, and now this… I also was desperately hoping for an old style Infinity Ultra design with a new Nichia CS LED to keep the same ergonomics and exact beam characteristics and add maybe just a little more brightness all around. I would buy a bunch of these for myself and gifts if that were the case. But no. Why can't some manufacturers take into consideration what their customers actually want? Gerber? Are you listening? Somebody here really should email this thread to the people who were responsible for ruining the Infinity Ultra. That burns me up.

:mad:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightHearted said:
Man, that stinks. I was already having a bad day, and now this… I also was desperately hoping for an old style Infinity Ultra design with a new Nichia CS LED to keep the same ergonomics and exact beam characteristics and add maybe just a little more brightness all around. I would buy a bunch of these for myself and gifts if that were the case. But no. Why can't some manufacturers take into consideration what their customers actually want? Gerber? Are you listening? Somebody here really should email this thread to the people who were responsible for ruining the Infinity Ultra. That burns me up.

:mad:
Gerber? Been there, done that.

Console your sorrows with a new Streamlight 1xAA for around 18.00 shipped.
Nichia and 2 stage. You'll thank me later.

LightHearted

Enlightened
Well, it looks like the price is right, but it has an optic (deal breaker for me), a larger head, and is an inch longer than the original IU. I may get one or two of those just for fun anyway. I'm leaning more towards the Inova X1 as a replacement for my IU so far. Not really the same light, but it's more like what I'm looking for. I think if I drop enough hints, maybe my girlfriend will score me an Inova X1 for my birthday. I think Target still has them for $19.99.

Lit Up said:
Gerber? Been there, done that.

Console your sorrows with a new Streamlight 1xAA for around 18.00 shipped.
Nichia and 2 stage. You'll thank me later.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very nostalgic of the CMG Infinity Ultra.

Four years ago I was able to get five of them. Two are still "in service", while three are shelved.
I also bought some of the new Gerbers, but they aren't the same thing. Thinner walls, flicky switch, no lug, totally different feel in the hand.

Gerber made many flashaholics unhappy!

Anthony

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the Civictor V1 to be a good current day replacement for the old CMG IU. Same reliabile head twisty design, good circuitry, 1W output, glass lens. Not HAIII and only runs 3 hours but very good quality and costs less (I think there's some sale for less than Fenix store's usual $29.75 shipped right now) than some prices I've seen for the old CMG IUs.

Latest posts