What is you favorite type switch?

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
I've found that the type of switch on a flashlight has a great deal to do with my enjoyment of its use. Twisties have their place; and for really small size and reliability, I accept their need - such as the Infinity series or ARC AAA type.

However, this question is speciic to push button type switches. What speciic light do you have thats got a swtich that makes you smile when you light it up? What is the light with the "best" switch that you have?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If you restrict this to clickies ... my favourite is the SF SW02. Feels rock solid, no reports of failures, is strilingly beautiful and tailstands.

If you open up the question ... a switch should get you instantly where you want to be (most important: low and high output), allow for momentary and constant on, be usable in a convienient fashion, and be rugged like hell as well as small. The ideal switch should further have a lock-out and should also offer more than two brightness modes for the larger lights, and maybe even different light sources to select.
Well ... we aren't there yet. :(
I do not know a sngle light that can do that. Not a single.

bernie

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
My favorite switch is my lion cub side switch.It is really a micro processor controlled switch,it has a very postitive feel.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul6ppc said:
My favorite switch is my lion cub side switch.It is really a micro processor controlled switch,it has a very postitive feel.

I agree. Georges80's side switch is the best I have ever used.
I wish more builders and modders would talk to him about his various drivers and switches.

connortn

Newly Enlightened
The tail clickie on my L1P works very nice if I don't need it like REALLY quick. After 50 some odd years of using slide switches on flashlights I find myself feeling for one of those when I pick up a light, especially larger ones. Small flashlights are OK with tail clickies as I'm not usually in a hurry when I use mine.

I know you asked for clickies but at home I'd rather have a larger 2C cell flashlight with a side switch. Somehthing large enought that I can see and find quickly. I think the old style with a button and slide work well. Being a flashlight too large for EDC, the first position could be off with the push button for temperary on in low power, second position would be low power on with push button for temperary high power and third position for high power with button non-active. Can't think of anything the push button could do with the slide switch in full power. Maybe someone could give a good suggestion for it as I'm presently collecting the parts to build such a light using an old 1940's Eveready or Winchester housing for a LED mod running on 2C cells. Not exactly practical but I just like the looks of older flashlights but also want the newer technology for the lightgiving end:grin2:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anglepoise said:
I agree. Georges80's side switch is the best I have ever used.
I wish more builders and modders would talk to him about his various drivers and switches.
His UI is the best I've found, I just wish someone would design a light with a switch like that in the tail with a larger rubber covered button.

alberto

Enlightened
Assuming we're talking about small lights, I like the convenience of clickies (don't have a particular favorite) but some past experiences with failures at critical moments leaves me preferring the simple mechanics and reliability of twisties.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
For a clickie, [bias-on] I am real tickled with my new McClickie switch [bias-off] Hopefully others when given the chance to try one will also concur. On a small light, I prefer the tail location and it is a moot point due to physical constraints of size. On a larger light, I really like the side position and clickie of the Pelican rechargeables. The Mag is nice too.

For a momentary signal to a processor, I really like the feel of the HDS. I prefer the side location of the Lion series but the necessary small size of the button works against its merit to an extent, IMHO.

For mechanical two stage I think there are too many of different but best in their individual strengths to pick from.

For multiple stage mechanical, the switch on the Spy005 is excellent and I really like the variable twisty I experienced on the Ti Pocket Rockets PK had at SHOT.

I can't really pick a favorite across the full range but in all cases, I want a switch that is intuitive, non compromising in the overall weather resistance of the light and most important, one that works each and every time.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McClickie switch sounds cool. Don, do you have an overview in your section on it? I'll check anyway. Thanks