titanium lighters?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kind of surprised that a titanium lighter doesn't exist! I don't count the zippo since it's really just the same old zippo insert in a silly little ti box. What I'd like to see is a Ti butane lighter of Sarome Sj quality.

If you know of any butane lighter made of Ti (not ti colored) from days gone by or planned for realease or available now I'd really like some info !

Perhaps titanium just doesn't effectively seal well ? If you can think of a reason why ti isn't suitable, that would be interesting to know.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The deep bores and milled cavities required in most designs would be a bugger in Ti, IMHO. Since the metal would only cost a couple bucks, I am sure someone here will step up to the plate and make these! Count me in for a couple!! :D

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
McGizmo said:
The deep bores and milled cavities required in most designs would be a bugger in Ti, IMHO. Since the metal would only cost a couple bucks, I am sure someone here will step up to the plate and make these! Count me in for a couple!! :D

Don , I just finished checking out your webpage and can hardly refrain from nominating you!

That's one impressive coat hanger!

OldGreyGuy

Enlightened
xochi said:
Don , I just finished checking out your webpage and can hardly refrain from nominating you!

Don't distract Don, legions of eager CPF folk who are hanging out waiting for a new release of the McLux III PD in Ti will be all cursing you. :mecry:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not meaning to slam that lighter , I've never actually seen/used one but I have a feeling that "high strength die cast alloy" means cheap pot metal. Vector sells a torch lighter that is around the same price and several folks here are quite fond of it. I picked one of those up with the intention of buying it but I was very unimpressed with it's construction. Folks say they are very reliable though.

JoeBob

Newly Enlightened
Lancelot1 said:
Zippo makes a Titanium lighter. Cost is almost $100.
I am pretty sure the original poster was aware of that-

" I don't count the zippo since it's really just the same old zippo insert in a silly little ti box. "

He was expressing an interest in an alternative to the Zippo.

Cobra 6 Actual

Newly Enlightened
Going to briefly revive this necrothread: there are now a number of non-Zippo solid titanium lighters. It appears that all are made in China, cost ~$125 to $200, and have a hinge that, unlike the Zippo, is flush-mounted to the lighter case. The quality is very good.

One final note: most of these are sold without an actual lighter insert, so just be ready to spend ~$15 for a nice butane insert. The Zippo butane insert and the Z-plus 2.0 Extreme both will not fit.

Last edited: