Fenix vs. Badboy 400

kz1000s1

Enlightened
My son just managed to wreck my Badboy 400 sandwich in a minimag. This was my favorite utility light because of it's great balance of brightness and runtime with 2500 nihms.

At first I was going to get another sandwich, then I was thinking a Fenix L1P or L2P might be better. How would it compare to the Badboy which had an older low dome 1W Luxeon. What is the switch cover made of and is it oil resistant?

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
The tailcap is either Rubber or a Vinyl of some kind. The light comes with an extra tailcap boot, extra O rings, and lanyard.:thumbsup:

paulr

Flashaholic
Compared to those older leds, the Fenix will be much brighter. It's generally a nicer light than a minimag as well. The Minimag/BB combination was nice back in the day, but time has marched on. Get the Fenix.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have a BB400 in a mini-mag. Given a choice, yes I would get a Fenix L2P instead. You'll get a considerably brighter hotspot with decent spill but no you won't get that flood beam that you do with the BB400.

maglite

Newly Enlightened
Well, while the light output of the feinx may be better (i dont know, i have never used a MM with a sandwich), the quality of the threads and "switch" on the MM is much better than the fenix. judging by your questions concerning oil resistance, i am guessing you use your light in an industrial/work setting. i own both mags and fenixs, and would be more comfortable with the fool proof design of the mini mag body and switch. while the fenix is no slouch, i would not trust the threads/switch in a professional setting. if you can, mabye wawit for the LED mags to be released. i can't wait...

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
In what way is your BB sandwich wrecked? If it's just the emitter, you could swap it for a nice high dome and reflector and have a bright, updated light at little cost. An R bin emitter on a BB 400 is brighter than a Fenix.

kz1000s1

Enlightened
Yes, the emitter is crushed and the sandwich was getting hot, so I'm worried the electronics could be damaged from the short.

It will be used in a factory setting and may get a little oil on it. So far my Surefire G2 hasn't been bothered by it.

Now I'm thinking the L1P would the most usful to me.