how does the ipod nano sound?edit after a week i dont like it

raggie33

*the raggedier*
how does the ipod nano sound? compared to the other ipods?i saw a open box unit today cheap at circuit city its scathed but i dot care about looks well this is a edit i had it a week and i just dont like it main thing for me is the sound im useing the same headphones ive used for years that i always liked tryied the earhphones that came with it to main thing is the lack of treble on my sony it had user defined eq and id bump the tremble up a bit.so far i cant find a seting on ipod that has the treble i like even the treble booster.thinking a selling the ipod or returning it but they seell on ebay used more then i bought it for

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: how does the ipod nano sound?

All recent ipods including the nano sound pretty good, but I wouldn't recommend buying one, because of the stupid internal battery and the requirement that you run itunes or similar software.

emrbrtn

Enlightened

Sounds same as other ipods. It also doesnt have that small lag time that shows up every once in a while as its flash based memory and not a hard drive.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

man i sure with the stores let ya listen to stuff like they used to.i like the form facter of the nano and i could always make a exteranl battery im sure there r instruction on the net and i have like 2 extra ipod conecters from a older ipod.i didnt lke the sound of the 3g ipods.circuit city has the one that is open box cheaper then there used on ebay and they clam that it will have same warenty as a new one i dont care if its scrathed cause ill scra5h it anyways lol might as well get it over with

Bright Scouter

Enlightened

We have a couple of the Nanos and one video ipod also. I think they all sound the same, with the exception of the headphones you use. I have never like the ones that come with them. So we have each bought our own. Mine are Sennheisers and my kids each have some other brands. I think Sony and Koss. I have liked the Sennheisers for many years and they make a big difference.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i just called ipod to see how they handle probelms lol they want ya to ship the nano back to them if it is broke at the price of 34 bucks lol.i just hung up thats insane

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast

raggie33

The Nano sounds great!!

I bought one for my daughter, and I like it so much I'm thinking about one. My son, on the other hand, doesn't think it has enough memory, and wants a full bore version.

Head phones make a big difference, we went through 3 different sets before she found a good sounding, comfortable set.

Bill

mccavazos

Enlightened

I have a nano and i love it! The battery problem bugs me quite a bit though. So far the batt is fine, but ive only had it since october, so time will tell. I don't mind using iTunes at all, infact i prefer it.

Chris

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

Compared to my Iriver and my Mobiblu cube, my wifes Ipod mini clearly sounds the worst of all the players. Frankly the Iriver sounds better with a 192 kbps MP3 than the Ipod does with a 1411 kbps WAV file. However the ergonomics of the ipod and itunes ease of use still makes the ipod a winner. For me, the only weak link of the Ipod is the sound quality.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

in the last generation of iPod or so they moved to a different sound chip. everyone was very happy about the change as this new chip was supposed to sound much better than the older one they were using. All nano's have this new chip, whatever it is.

I have never had a complaint about the sound quality of my ipods, the old ones or the news ones. The limiting factor for me has always been the headphones or the fact that I mostly play it through the car stereo.

The general consensus is that they sound terrific.

Battery change is a non-issue. You'll spend more money on AA batteries in 18 months than you'll spend on replacing the iPod battery in that time even if you send it out to a third party for the replacement. I've replaced 3 iPod batteries now for myself and my friends. It's no big deal, you build your own PC's raggie, you can do it yourself for the cost of the battery.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

well i bough the nano it was hceaper then it was used at ebay i got a deal i figure i can always ell it if i dont like it but guess ill turn off gas water haeter for a bit to save cash lol but its summer so its cool .i admit its not a bad little gizmo but i would never off payed full price

paulr

Flashaholic

The built-in battery is a PITA because it means that if it needs a charge, you can't use the player until you've plugged it into something and waited for it to charge. With an AA-powered player you just swap in a charged battery. Also, most CPF'ers already have some NiMH AA/AAA cells and a charger, so alkaline expense is a red herring. Finally, let's say you do use alkalines, in say an iRiver T10 (40 hours of operation per AA). At 2 hours per day, you're using one AA alkaline every 20 days, or 27 AA's in 18 months, which is $6 or $7 worth if you buy those $9.99 40-packs. Can you really replace a Nano battery for that?

Right now in the Sandisk M260, an AAA NiMH cell (700 mah) runs it for maybe 12 hours, similar to how long a Nano runs on a charge, I believe. AAA NiMH cells are about $2 each and I already had a few, so I just switch off between a couple of them.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lov it

Just scratches easy and needs a $30.00 case to be perfect... I-tunes is ahhhh but not too shabby.. would rather have plug and play

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

The built-in battery is a PITA because it means that if it needs a charge, you can't use the player until you've plugged it into something and waited for it to charge

Yea, but how often does that really happen? When I'm driving I have it plugged into the car charger so it's always fully charged. If I'm not driving somewhere every few days I am regularly plugging it into the computer to update the playlists (not everything fits on my ipod, I let it fill randomly sometimes) and podcasts and such so it's charging from the computer.

I dont think I've ever run it down just from using it too much.

The one time I was planning ahead for was the long plane trip with the kids when I wanted my daughter to be able to watch movies on it for more than the 2 hours the batt lasts playing video on the internal screen, so I splurged the $20 that one of those belkin battery cases cost and used NiMH batts in that. But the rest of the time I dont worry about it, I suspect that most folks dont either.

Even before I got my car charger/line output thing installed I could easily go a week or more between charges. it's just not that big of a deal.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

You'd be very lucky to be able to get a repair for $29.95 plus shipping. That's the price for a warranty repair, since Apple's one year warranty is actually only 6 months.

You might not actually be covered by a warranty since you're not the original owner, unless Apple really screws it up and you get away with that steal. I suspect that once you aren't able to provide a proof of purchase from a legitimate dealer, the cost of repairs is more likely to be an out of warranty repair at $189 plus $6.95 for shipping.

What did you think they would do, send out a service technician?

raggie33 said:
i just called ipod to see how they handle probelms lol they want ya to ship the nano back to them if it is broke at the price of 34 bucks lol.i just hung up thats insane

paulr

Flashaholic

I guess if you're primarily using the player in a car or near a computer, and you don't mind having another cable flopping around tangling in things, the internal battery can be tolerable. I use an in-dash player in the car and in general I have way too much cable snarl around my computer already. And for home or near a computer, I don't see the point of the wafer-thin player; I'd rather have a high capacity hard drive player with an AA NiMH pack inside, like the Archos Jukebox that I bought from a CPF'er a few months ago (I need to upgrade the HD inside it).

What I really want is a small flash player built into a pair of headphones, so no wires to tangle. I don't know of that existing though.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

There hasn't been a harddisk player that has used NiMH batteries from a major manufacturer in over 5 years now. The form factor of the disk based players today just woudn't lend themselves to being able to accommodate AA sized batteries. The largest disk drive used by the industry leaders these days are the 1.8" form factor drives and all of those players use a built-in battery (always have, ever since the very first iPod.) And the trend in Asia seems to be that "smaller is better" and it looks like many people all over the world are following that mantra like lemmings, so I wouldn't expect to see AA NiMH batteries in anything but a flash memory based player for some time to come.

There is a use for NiMH batteries though. Most of the players have a 5V input, a guy from one of the MP3 player companies said that you could use 4 NiMH battery pack (4x1.2V) as a portable power supply to both power and charge a player, as long as you have the correct plug. Seems that it does work! There also some commercially made packs like that with a USB connector.

paulr said:
I'd rather have a high capacity hard drive player with an AA NiMH pack inside, like the Archos Jukebox that I bought from a CPF'er a few months ago (I need to upgrade the HD inside it).

raggie33

*the raggedier*

Brighteyez said:
You'd be very lucky to be able to get a repair for $29.95 plus shipping. That's the price for a warranty repair, since Apple's one year warranty is actually only 6 months.

You might not actually be covered by a warranty since you're not the original owner, unless Apple really screws it up and you get away with that steal. I suspect that once you aren't able to provide a proof of purchase from a legitimate dealer, the cost of repairs is more likely to be an out of warranty repair at $189 plus $6.95 for shipping.

What did you think they would do, send out a service technician?
lol no but i assume they would letme ship it how i see fit the thing aint gold lol34 bukcs ill no way in hell send it out i bought it at circuit city its legit but when they told me price on open box my dad said its scrthyced can ya do better and they did a lot better lol funny thing is i dont mind scrathes at all.i called apple again and they said first 6 months its free shiping thats ok cause in 6 months this will be antique

raggie33

*the raggedier*

let me add my sony himd still sounds better i agree on iriver they sound nice to but the sony rocks if ya dont belive me do a blind test it will shock ya how nice sony sounds and the battery life blows everyone away but that frigin atrac is a pia