My RiverRock 2AAA is REALLY blue now...

stjohnh

Newly Enlightened
These RiverRock/Nuwai lights are known for a slightly blue tint, and mine was no exception, pretty nice light, particularly for $10, but compared to most others, a bit bluer....

Well, in the interest of science (well, just screwing around with my lights), I decided to see how the light would work with a single AAA Lithium Ion rechargable battery, and a dummy AAA for the other cell. These cells are 4 volts when fully charged (actually a bit more), and of course 2 AAAs are about 3.2 volts, 3.4 if lithium primaries.

Anyway, I figured the light would be a bit brighter, but not much else would happen.

I fired up the light, and all seemed fine, the light was a little brighter, but after a couple of minutes it seemed to me the tint was more blue than previously (the head was a little warm also).

Well, looks like I cooked the phosphor or something, I let it cool, took out the Lithium Ion + dummy cells, put back the alkaline AAA cells.... I had a white light with a blue tint previously, now have a blue light. Seems just as bright as ever.

Looks like those little semi-Lux type LED's don't toleate overdriving very well.. Live and learn. Next time I'll hook up a meter to the light when I try that and if the current is much more than normal shut it down, hopefully before permanent damage.

Holland

InfidelCastro

Banned
I've always thought of them as more a blue LED with a white tint myself.. :)

Interestingly enough, I read how the new two stage Streamlight 2AA Task Light "is more blue" when it's in the dimmer mode as claimed by the poster. And it was surmised that it might use the same .5W LED as the Nuwai/River Rock lights..

Lots of confusing and contradictory information.. Hmm...

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
You likely fried at least one of the LED dice. I did the same (overdrove a TM-310H circuit in a TM-311H)...was nice and bright for a while till all of a sudden the light got really blue. Took out the circuit to look at the LEDs and sure enough, one of the dice is burnt. Right now, I have the stock TM-311H circuit modded with a lower resistance bias resistor and it's brighter, but also more blue than stock. It should be fine tho and seems to have lasted thus far.