Wasp Traps

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wife saw a flyer in the mail for wasp traps, so I check ebay and find LOTS of 'em, some antique-ish glass ones that peaked my interest.

Then using my research habits developed from years at CPF, I found this

http://eartheasy.com/live_natwasp_control.htm

Anyone ever try them? Any comments?

We were painting the front shutters and window sills this weekend and kept getting buzzed by two wasps and a mud dabber. So I made two of these traps but nothing so far.
I always prefer making my own instead of paying money for simple solutions such as these, bt some of the old glass traps on ebay look cool.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Those homemade traps will work fine. You can also use sugar water and add a little red food coloring to it if desired. Don't forget the dishwashing soap!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have lots of those bugs in the country and find the wasp spray works well at stopping them in their tracks from flying and ruins the area where they nested and prevents them from returning to that exact spot.

The chemical, however does not prevent them from walking/crawling and they will go towards you even if you knock them all down with the spray. THen they die a few minutes later. Good idea to knock the nest down after wards, but give it a good squirt before hand.

Doing this early in the morning where there is frost or heavy dew is the best time. THey cant fly with moisture on their wings.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carb and brake cleaners work well, too. WD-40 seems to just **** them off.

Cheers. :buddies:

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesel_Bomber said:
Carb and brake cleaners work well, too. WD-40 seems to just **** them off.

Cheers. :buddies:
:lolsign: thats what I normally use. Takes the fight right out of them and they die quickly.

Darell

Flashaholic
Where I used to live, we had wasps, and the commercial traps and attractants worked GREAT! Then we moved to our present location, and apparently we have "yellow jackets." I never really made a distinction, but the pests sure do! These things don't even take a second look at the same traps. I get more spiders stumbling into them than anything else. There seems to be NO way of trapping yellow jackets (or are the hornets?) they're the ones with the super-thin abdomen. The ones that look extra-nasty.

These are what I have now: click

Anybody know how to trap them?

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what ever ya do dont dress up as a huge flower wearing chanel number 5 .

Darell

Flashaholic
snakebite said:
its a common paper wasp.
locate the nests during the day and attack at night with a red flashlight and wasp/hornet spray or my favorite,super tech carb cleaner from walmart.$.97 a can.fire is optional but fun.
http://www.google.com/search?q=+pap...ient=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
Yeah, well. The problem there is that they first have to build a nest before the attack. I'm all for getting rid of the nexts. What I'd like to do is trap the queens in the spring as they try to settle. That accounts for MANY of them later on, and is far more effective (in my experience) than waiting until you're already living with hundreds or thousands of them.

While carb cleaner will work fine if you're up close at night - that jet stream of the purpose-made stuff is hard to beat when you're knocking them down in the back yard!

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey while we discuss about wasps, I am wondering what kind of wasp can hunt down kill and carry a huge cicada?, The one I saw one was friggin BIG, I would guess more than 2 inches, anyway I was at the park and a cicada landed on me, almost did a backflip and it flew away but heard this enormous buzz past my head and there goes a huge black insect that looked like a hornet, the curiosity got the best of me and followed the 2 insects, this was fierce chase but this wasp catched the cicada and the cicada fell on the ground, as the wasp approached its wings started to raise dust and move leaves on the ground, OMG! I never seen anything that big!!! I saw it carry the cicada to a hole in the sidewalk. Didn't see it again but it was about the size of my index finger.

What kind of wasp was that? Can they grow that big? I just can't imagine how the sting would feel like.

AlexGT

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw a National Geographics show on Japanese Giant Hornets. Said they kill 10-20 people a year.
They were big as the one you described.

BTW all, nothing in my traps. looks like its a dud.

Last edited:

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
My Grandma hangs an old kerosene lantern up on her back porch every year. It is painted red with a glass dome and a handle. It has slits at the top to let out the smoke. Wasp are very attracted to it for some reason and they climb inside thru the slits and cannot get back out. That lantern has to be emptied several times a year.

I will try to find a picture of one and post it.

It looks a lot like the red one on this page http://www.riverjunction.com/catalog/lamps/lanterns.html

Last edited:

Harman

Newly Enlightened
Kinda odd for my first post here, but if it helps someone..good to go.

I had a wasp problem for over three years, since I moved into this apartment. Nothing would stop the damn things..even in seriously cold weather when they couldn't muster the strength to fly I'd still find them crawling on my balcony quite often. In warmer conditions, they were a constant and annoying presence. I smoke, but not indoors, so am out there several times a day. It was much more likely that I would see/kill a wasp than not, every single time I took a little excursion onto the balcony. On days when I stayed at home all day, it was not unheard of to kill 5 or more wasps just there on my small balcony.

For the past month, I have seen exactly three wasps on my precious balcony. :rock: A month ago, I placed three cloves of garlic on the balcony and one beside my apartment door. I do not know yet how often these will need to be replaced, but as I said they have been there a month and are still good. I really did not expect this to work, but boy has it..and it keeps the vampires away as an added bonus! :crackup:

For reference, I am not positive my 'wasps' really are that, a 'wasp trap' from Lowe's failed to catch anything at all (much less my wasps). I do not claim that they WILL not, just that they DID not, and I have long since thrown away the packaging so can't say what brand it was. Other things I tried were a paper sack filled with napkins (for bulge) to simulate a wasp nest (wasps are social and will just move elsewhere to nest instead..not). I also had a citronella candle out there for awhile unlit, that did nothing to deter them. Sprays worked, but were VERY temporary, maybe 3 days *MAX*. I did not get around to trying a plastic bag filled with water, the old timers say it will keep away flies, until my garlic worked I had meant to test it on wasps.

I originally heard about this in garlic clips(?) I think. Supposed to repel deer or something, but as I said ordinary clove garlic has worked and it is certainly not expensive to replace even if it only lasts a month. I intend to report back when the wasps return in droves, to give an idea of just how long this stuff will last. Until then I am enjoying my balcony! Sorry if I ranted a bit, but I am very pleased to be able to go outside without the hassle. :lolsign:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Harman...did you peel the cloves? I assume you did...Thanks for jumping into the pool with the rest of us nuts! :D

(Maybe they're "Vampire Bees"? :ohgeez: )