My first Tri-Lux build...WOW!!

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished the Tri-Lux! All I can saw is WOW!!! How sweet it is!

This blows away my 6P and modded MagC. Much nicer beam and color. I will defintiely be building more of these.

I made this one so I can run 6-8AA alkalines or rechargable Nimh's. It's perfect for us here in Hurricane country.

Check it out...

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulation:)

You has solved the problem with the heatsink.

Good work:goodjob:

I wish you a lot of fun with your new light.

Best regards

____
Tom

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
twentysixtwo said:
Looks great, Details!!!!

Did you have the barrel bored for 4 across seating? Which driver? Fatman?

OK here's the details...

Standard Mag 2D.
3 LUX III TXOK Stars
PTS2
Fatman driver
UCL lens
Modamag 2D to 8AA adapter
2 AA dummy cells to use with Nimhs

I plan at some point to add a Pot for dimming capability.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Mirage Man:)

Why do you use 2 dummy-cells with nimh?
The fatman can handle 8x1,2 Volt, so you will have more capacity.

Best regards

_____
Tom

Turbo_E

Enlightened
^^^ yup + it will be brighter and have longer runtime. consider adding a dimmer to it. very useful for up close lighting. hehe...now build a quad lux. :D

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gaffle said:
Why not use the D cells?

Because the light requires more voltage than a pair of D's can give. 8 AA cells = 12V (9.6V if you figure load and resistance of the circuit). 2 D's = 3V (2.4V reality). So you can see the difference. 2 D batteries can barely drive a single LUX III. In most cases 2 D's will actually underdrive a single LUX III.

Is it possible to see more pics of the build process?

I pretty much just followed Modamag's tutorial found here ..

Last edited:

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have made an alky powered trilux.. using fatman and 4C in a 3D host.. it doesn't output full power with alky.. needs NiMH for full power and it runs at 700mA max vs 1000mA.

-awr

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one, with TX0K's too. Only the 2D's tail cap has the anodize removed from the bottom, and the spring cut/rebent to fit inside. Then I used a 1" PVC pipe to sleeve 3x NiMH C cells. I get a little over 1.5 hours of full brightness. Direct driving the "K" Vf luxeons is perfect with 3 NiMH cells. Also, I can use alkalines in an emergency, and while the voltage of alkalines would exceed the Vf of the luxeons, the current demand (3amps) cause the alkalines to sag and they probably won't even make it past 2 amps, but hey it works. The leds are in parallel.

I like my setup, because it takes 3 cells without a battery carrier, and puts out more lumens than a 5W. Simple and effective. And boy, does it light up the whole back yard! Great for building searches too. Combined with my other 2D mag with a 100 lumen U-bin running at 1amp, I have pretty much all distances of lighting covered with these "big guns". :)

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the thing i really like is that mixing the beams makes the most perfect spot.. no artifiacts even with elchepo IMS reflectors completely wonderful beam.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup. And 3x the spill from the leds means the side spill is not only wide, but bright! The hotspot widens out and lights up the area ahead, and blends perfectly with the spill for an almost even light reflecting back at you from all distances giving you the affect of a large over head light lighting up everything evenly!

Latest posts