building a new computer...update...decided!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
*update*

after lots of research and help, i've finally finalized my system. the wishlist can be seen here
several of the components will be ordered from zipzoomfly, the power supply from another company, and the rest from newegg.

:)

-----------------
(old content below)

the time has finally come for a new system.

what i'm after, is a stable, solid system that will take whatever it throw at it.
i'm not really a gamer, so i don't need a blistering hot machine, but i would like the option of playing battlefield2 and oblivion. (i don't have any problems turning down the graphics either, to keep things more reasonable).

so far, i think i've pretty much decided on a athalon +3700 san diego.
it seems to be a good blend of performance and cost, with the next step down being $30 less, and the next step up being $100 more.

for the mother board, i'm thinking about an asus a8n, though i'm not exactly sure what flavor (e, premium, or deluxe?) i need.

i'm also thinking about having 2 hardrives. one 160gig harddrive to split in half, and share windows and linux on, and another 80gig harddrive to put other kinds of files on, backup, documents, etc etc etc.
(actual size of the drives isn't that importatnt to me, but i figured 160 and 80 to be decent sizes)

i'm also quite fond of this case, and think it will suit my porposes quite well. i hope theres enough room inside. i can't go much bigger than 21inches, due to size constraints on my desk.

so what i really need help with, is picking out:
motherboard
videocard
ram
harddrives
powersupply
dvd-rw
cd-rom

i'm looking to spend no more than $1500, and preferably less than $1200. i know that quality comes at a price, so i'm willing to spend what's needed, but like i said i'm really not a gamer, and have other purchases to make in the near future as well (a police scanner and a handgun being formost among them)

i haven't really been into computers for a long time, so it's hard for me to know what's good, what's a good value, and what's compatable.

i put a bunch of items on a wishlist on newegg, but for some reason it doesn't show up on the public wishlists....

can anyone help me with recomendations? maybe even the best place to purchase the items from?

Last edited:

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: need help building a new computer...

dude, i'm not getting a dell :p

there are a few reasons i want to build my own computer.
the biggest reason is that i like stuff my way. i want a computer that has the right hardware on it, and i don't want any extra bullcrap software that i won't use. my dad bought a dell about a year ago and right off the bat it was already slow because of all the useless crap they put on it. you can never get a system like that clean.
also, i'd really like to start using linux. i just don't feel safe on a windows system anymore, and since most tasks can be done using linux (not to mention i can get better/free software), i should be able to avoid windows altogether for the most part.
i also want a system that will be solid and stable, using quality components. i've just heard to many bad things about dell, or other prebuilt companies using cheap quality components. like i said, i like having stuff done my way. i also hate lights that turn on automaticaly, and cars with features such as auto-wipers or auto locks...

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Roth,

So far you've picked some pretty good stuff. I really like that case. As far as optical drives go, I would skip the cd-rom or burner and go with a single NEC-3550A DVD burner from Newegg. For 38 bucks, it will meet all of your needs. I personally have never had a PC with more than one optical drive. I like Antec and Thermaltake Power supplies. They have always been good to me with a decent price to boot. For video cards with any gaming involved I have always went with ATI. Nvidia makes a great card but I think ATI will suit your needs better IMHO. You can get a pretty good card for 150 or less. I like Corsair ram as it performs flawless and had a great price when I bought mine(from Newegg). There is ram out there than may be able to perform better or OC well, but the speed increase usually isn't worth the money.

Zigzago

Enlightened

I put together a computer about a year ago mostly following the recommendations in this ExtremeTech article. It's somewhat out of date now but they have newer articles on building various types of systems.

In my system I have two 80 GB Seagate drives with Windows XP on one drive and Linux (Mepis) on the other.

I ordered most of my stuff from NewEgg, they seem to be pretty highly regarded with the geek crowd.

carrot

Flashaholic

I like to buy from ZipZoomFly.com. Usually very good prices, and free 2-day shipping on everything but PC enclosures.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast

Building a computer these days is going to cost more than one of the assembly line jobs from one of the major manufacturers. You can probably put something together of decent quality for general usage for around $600-800; if you're a gamer it's a different ball game and you should probably plan on spending a couple of thousand on the latest and greatest of everything to tweak out the very last additional ounce of performance for that slight competitive advantage in the latest and most grusome FPS game.

If you prefer to try and evade sales taxes, neither Newegg or Zipzoomfly is a good choice since they are both California based, however they're probably amongst the more reliable and more competitively priced of all the mail-order vendors. I think Newegg's parent company is also a computer assembler under the name of ABS Computer http://www.abs.com/

metalhed

Enlightened

I'm a fan of Asus and AMD, so as far as I'm concerned, you've got the important stuff nailed. :thumbsup:

I haven't put a box together in a while (eighteen months or so), so I'm not up to date on specific models to suggest. But I would think about using your two drives in a RAID. I'm sure your Asus board will support SATA drives, and I know my next purchase will be twin drives. No worries if you have a drive crash on you, and with today's large capacity drives, you should have plenty of room for multiple OS's.

:shrug:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast

I put together several in the past but stopped because you can get good quality machines already built for less. The key is to seek out the machines that have room for expansion. You can add on whatever you want. I have had good luck with Fry's basic GQ machines in the larger cases for a starting point.

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened

I have started working on a parts for my next build and the board I am getting is the A8N32-SLI Deluxe.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

roth hi i like the cheao deals im useing a ecs mother board that comes with a amd sepprons 2800 the combo was 70 bukc at frys last week im sure theyll run the deal,again it is very very stable for me mine was even 64 bit and can overclock awesumly

BigTwin

Newly Enlightened

Sharky's Extreme usually has good advice for building PC's.....

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

Hi Roth,

I bought a dell in Jan2k as my first and built the next two. I mean all it takes is a credit card and phillips screwdriver. :green: This was the last one and it is now a pile of junk in the garage. (No comments this thread please on the the pics past #8 or so.) I went to Fry's and bought an AMD 2600+ Crashpac when the SCSI HDD finally died. I found trying to stay up to speed on the latest/best insurmountable after finding CPF and haven't. Good luck in your endeavor!!

Larry

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Another vote for SATA RAID here. I'm using two Western Digital SATA drives set up as mirrored drives. The SATA ports and mirroring firmware are built into my Asus A7N8X-E mobo.

Look for a PCI-Express graphics slot (and compatible video card) also.

And don't buy a M**tor drive! :shakehead

MichiganMan

Enlightened

tiktok 22 said:
Hi Roth,

For video cards with any gaming involved I have always went with ATI. Nvidia makes a great card but I think ATI will suit your needs better IMHO. You can get a pretty good card for 150 or less.

Roth, if you're looking to run Linux, go nvidia, honest. ATI and nvidia might be neck and neck in the Windows world, but on Linux, there's just no comparison, nvidia support and driver quality is miles ahead of ATI's.

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds like you have some A list parts (Asus and AMD) My last computer build was this home theater PC back in Feb 2005 (Pre Luxeon K2!) There are many interesting things rolling out and "performance per watt" is the mantra these days (finally!) I went with an ATI chipset motherboard for built-in graphics and added an Asus ATI Radeon X700 Pro 256MB video-in/video-out video card. Not the fastest thing on the planet but plenty quick and when coupled with the Arctic Cooling shrouded heatsink fan blowing heat out the back, it runs quiet and cool. The X700 Pro does not suck up the power (has no power supply connections) decent power and runs cool (33C at this moment for GPU)

If you want to do it all, maybe an AMD Athlon64 X2 dual-core CPU. Get the slowest one (X2 3800) and I hear they have versions that only put out 35 watts at full scream. Nothing like a cool running box that is quiet.

Get a good power supply, Seasonic makes some very stout ones that don't generate a lot of heat, noise and are 80% efficient. My Zalmann 400W (Fortron actually makes it) pushes all my junk (onboard video/X700 PCI-E, three hard drives, 1GB dual channel DDR, TV/FM tuner card, wireless network etc)

Having the ability to use two monitors (or three...and a TV output) it is a great setup and you can have CPF dedicated to one of the monitors. :) I love the ability to record shows on my PC but if you do that, do yourself a favor and use at least two hard drives. Nothing worse than doing heavy accessing of the hard drive when a show is trying to record. I have two 160GB and one 80GB drive. I'll add another drive when those 1TB per platter drives become available next year.

Another thing I would like to do is try out Apple OSX and Linux, that 80GB drive would be perfect for Linux. Although many folks get stuck on CPU speed, worry about video card frame rates...me, I like to do many things with the little box so multiple monitors, two video sources (X300 built-in and X700 Pro running in parallel) TV tuners, multiple drives, VIVO capability and wireless everything is what turns my crank.

If you blow all your money on computer parts, how will you purchase your next flashlight?

greenLED

Flashaholic

Hi Roth,
I used to get parts from pricewatch.com back when I played with 'puters (still buy through them, but haven't built a system in a long time).

Ras_Thavas

Enlightened

Just got my new edition of Maximum PC in the mail and they have a sub $1000 gaming pc speced out.

CPU - AMD Athlon 3700+ - $230
RAM - 1GB Corsair PC3200 - $75
Video - nVidia GeForce 7600 GT - $225
Hard Drive - WD Caviar SE 16 250GB - $110
Mobo - ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe - $110
Optical Drive - BenQ DW1655 w/Lightscribe - $55
PSU - Antec TruePower 2.0 550W - $115
Case - Kingwin SK-523BKW - $55

Obviously this is not everything you need, but the article assumes you are re-using the keyboard, mouse, speakers and monitor from your current rig.