• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS: M6-R LVR3I PWM regulators -- good for WA1111, MN21, SL 35X LA, etc.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT ALL SOLD. No more for sale. Thanks everyone! /EDIT

The voltage out setpoint is 6.8 volts DC-equivalent, and can not be changed. This voltage is perfect for driving the SF MN21, MN16, P91, MN11, or the Welch Allyn 01111-u, or the StreamLight SL-35X LA.

There is no low-voltage cut-off programed in, but there is a "warning flashes" level set for 8.3 volts. Thus these regulators are perfect for 8 or more NiMH cells, or three or more Li-ion cells, although input voltage should not exceed 17 volts.

lvr3i_top.jpg

There is no ON/OFF button on the board, and the FET is separate and must be remote mounted. You must solder lead wires to it and to the back of the board. Or you could probably solder it directly to the back of the board. The topmost FET lead in the above picture is the Gate, and what I will label lead #1, the middle lead is #2, and the bottom one, #3.

lvr3i_back.jpg

Lead #1 must be soldered to the electrical area indicated by the point of the topmost toothpick in this photo. The toothpick is pointing to a solder hole (via), but any place electrically common with that via is appropriate. Lead #2 must be soldered to the big square patch or to the small via indicated by the rightmost toothpick point. And lead #3 must be soldered to the via indicated by the bottom leftmost toothpick point, or to any place on the electrically common area. For the M6-R project, I didn't use the vias and soldered to the square area and to the little surface mount type solder pads nearest it.

More information on the LVR's can be found at Willie Hunt's Lightbulb Voltage Regulators page.

Cost for one of these is $30 for the first, and $25 for every additional LVR, shipping included (for those living inside USA--for those outside, shipping may be a bit more).

I accept PayPal (any kind) or check or money order. If you want one or more of these, please POST below. My email and paypal address is *address removed*. Feel free to direct questions either to this thread or to my email.

Last edited:

Luna

Enlightened
Not to bad, just needing this to show you the MC85 rulz. :D

Not really. I'm wanting this for my side by side KT2/Li-ion host/MN21 that I told you about. Though it might find its way into a M6. Took you long enough to make them avaliable darn it !

That 8.3 v, that is open voltage right?

cy

Flashaholic
I'll take one please, just for a spare..

pp sent..

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luna,

The 8.3 volts is voltage under load of the battery pack, and it will be a bit lower than the average voltage.

The problem is that the battery pack voltage is oscillating up and down wildly as the FET opens and closes, loading and unloading the pack. The high instantaneous currents tend to drag the pack voltage down below "average". So 8.3 proabably corresponds to 8.5 or even 8.6 volts under a non-dynamic load -- i.e. direct drive sort of situation.

If you put the pack voltage on an o-scope you'd see the ripple I'm talking about.

In any case, the 8.3 volts set-point is just about perfect for a warning flashes on 9 NiMH or NiCd cells that gives you just enough time to wrap up what you're doing and turn off the light. On 10 cells, it would give you 3-5 minutes, maybe, depending on the load. On 3 Li-ion cells, the warning flashes would be just about perfect for loaded end-of-cycle voltage. 8.3/3 = 2.77 volts. Some Li-ion protection circuits go as low as 2.4 volts, figuring that the open circuit voltage will bounce back up to the proper end-of-cycle voltage, but that seems a little risky to me. It all depends on the load, right? But certainly 2.77 is pretty safe, even for low draw loads.

Did any of this answer your question?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and p.s., if you add some capacitance to the inputs to the LVR (i.e. across the pack terminals) then you will lower or eliminate the ripple effect I was talking about, thus making dynamic = steady state loading conditions. 100 uF should be MORE than enough.

TheSteve

Newly Enlightened
I'll take 2, paypal on the way!

Paypal sent - along with a little extra for shipping.

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. I sent out Luna's, cy's, and wquiles's orders yesterday and will send out the rest of them tomorrow for sure, or possibly this afternoon depending.

They are being sent in a static proof bag inside a padded envelope (same way Willie sends them), so keep an eye out for a medium sized padded envelope, and be careful of static electricity when handling the FET and regulator (but mostly the FET).

Thanks, everyone!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah. I had something like 30 on hand before this thread, but I only wanted to sell 20 (or maybe a few more) because I need to keep some for M6-R repair/replacement. So yes, they have all been on hand for quite some time, but are only now free due to cancelation of the rest of the M6-R orders, plus some time to give those people first refusal on buying the regulators reserved for them. So that's the reason for the delay.

cy

Flashaholic
glad I got a spare board coming...

thanks,

Last edited:

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Jim:

Could this -- and should this -- be installed in your already wonderful TL11?

Josey

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josey,

It won't fit nicely in a TL and more importantly, the warning flashes would be going non-stop, but there is another version of the LVR that will fit nicely and which I have configured for the TL. BTW, I sent you a PM a long time ago saying I could fix the pepper spray part of your TL, but I never got a response. Did you not get that PM, or was it just something you didn't need fixed? Send me a PM about it one way or another, and we can talk more about regulated TigerLights, too.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd and TheSteve, your orders went out on the 3rd. Sorry I didn't post that two days ago! But in any case, they are on their way to you both.