Whats the word on setting ignition timming?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know now a days with coil packs and cam/crank sensors its rather difficult to set the timming any more on a car, but it can be done. Just rotate the cam/crank sensor and set your timming light for a few degrees from or away from the known timming mark or do the old fashion thing.

THe old fashion way I recall to set the timming is to set it by rotating the distributor while reading a vacuum meter and adjust it for the highest vacuum. Very simialr technique to adjusting the fuel mixture, then you lower the idle setting. If it wont crank, then you retard it a few degrees.

What would you do? My van lacks acceleration. You floor it and it slowly revs up for a gas engine. I see it has a block or thingie I must unplug to set it, but it doesnt say much more then that. I know a higher timming can cause pinging, but its got the computer on it and whats a few cents more of gas for better performance?

Also, any idea why cars with automatic trannys usually have the timming retarded a few degrees than the manual counter parts?

THanks.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
cobb said:
Also, any idea why cars with automatic trannys usually have the timming retarded a few degrees than the manual counter parts?

It's due to the high load that an auto puts on an engine during initial throttle input.

Honestly, with most modern fuel injected cars, you'll see maginal, if any "gains" in ignition timing advance/retard only. However, if you free up the engine to breathe better, then some ignition/cam timing may be able to tailor the additional power to your application. Me...all I do to adjust timing is plug the laptop into the ECU and type away. Simple as that. :naughty:

-DF

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just set mine according to the manual. With a computer and the internet, I don't even need a real paper manual.

I don't even need a timing light. I use my scanner to see what the timing is.

I find it best to follow directions though. On my car, I need to unplug the wire going to the engine coolant temperature sensor. Otherwise the timing jumps all over the place. Apparently the engine computer is doing some bizarre thing with the timing when it has access to the coolant temperature.