Do you pay for your cellular voice mail? Or is it free?

Do you pay for your voice mail?

• I pay for my voice mail.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It's free for me.

Votes: 24 92.3%

• Total voters

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use verizon. I wasn't satisfied with checking my voice mail on nights and weekends to save on peak minutes, so a quick search on google led to this list of access numbers. Now I can get my VM anytime because I'm calling the Verizon network instead of their 'Pay' system. It's easy to program your phone to enter your password and other keystrokes, too.

A similar search should show #'s for competing carriers. Feel free to post here if you know more about this.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is no free ride for voice mail in canada. wireless carriers are dam greedy.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I voted "free", because I don't pay extra for it, having Verizon. My plan is such that I've more minutes than I need, so it's not been a problem to check it at any time.

You're link could come in handy sometime. I'm not exactly sure why (profit?) but my phone's manual states "This number should only be used when a VMS access number is not provided by the network."

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's not an extra charge unless you go over your limit of calls for the month. Then they really get you.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if you have a Verizon phone, you can just change your voicemail dial number to your own number plus whatever digits you need to punch in to access your own voicemail (kinda like the old "Check your answering machine" gig) and you're in. Since you're calling a VZW number (your own) you get to use your "In" network unlimited minutes for free..

senecaripple

Flashlight Enthusiast
i didnt understand quite fully your question! i would've answered no to the question. t-mobile charges me whenever minutes when i access my voice mail during peak time. i thought your question asked if there was an extra charge above the peak time. oh well! i think all the carriers charge the minutes when you acces your voice mail! some even charge for the text message sent to notify you that you have voice mail.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
See, now THAT would be a pile. Who does that, senecaripple, so I can stay away from them with my 29.5 foot pole??

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACMarina said:
I think if you have a Verizon phone, you can just change your voicemail dial number to your own number plus whatever digits you need to punch in to access your own voicemail (kinda like the old "Check your answering machine" gig) and you're in. Since you're calling a VZW number (your own) you get to use your "In" network unlimited minutes for free..

Nope, I tried that. Calling yourself is the same as calling *VM, and counts like any other peak call.

Using a Backdoor number works and is free all day.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its free, got tracfone.

Now, whats the problem? Mines has an indicator for VM and I usually call it from another phone and check it. I am charged per unit or minute, so I guess it isnt totally free to check from the phone.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Verizon system could be tricked if you dialed your phone number and not just *86 to retreive your VM. Mind you, you need ot have mobile to mobile (or free "IN" calling) but it is a work around.

Latest posts