FourSevens        

Thread: Meet MC Shorty!

Grinser2 Meet MC Shorty!

Short story! Some time back I built out of PVC pipe fittings a shortened, 1x123 version of the Milky Candle. It differs in a few ways from the usual MC... first, it is of course much shorter... it also runs at a single output level, not multiples... and has a flame-shaped clear diffuser over the LED, unlike the MC itself. This is a one-of-a-kind light that I'd made for the kids when we go stay at grandma's house for an overnight, for example... easy to toss in a suitcase and go!

The circuit in the MC shorty is a rehabilitated Q3 circuit... IMHO it works better in this role as it's not driven at levels that leave it gasping for air! At the low-level output of MC shorty the circuit can sip gently on all that battery juice, and thereby provide an estimated 30+ hours from a single 123 primary cell, getting gradually dimmer as it runs but so slowly that it's not really noticeable... and even toward the end, the little guy is still putting out a pretty respectable amount of light! Perhaps 2/3 the output of a completely fresh cell. A 10mm LED (can't see it due to the diffuser) pumps out the photons.

Now MC shorty is part of the LifeNRA Benefit Raffle, so it seemed a good time to introduce this mod to folks.

Some photos...

Enjoying a beautiful spring! MC shorty standing, er, not so tall on the cistern, and not lit at the moment!

Smokin' in the smokehouse! (Yes, our property has a vintage 1920s smokehouse out back! Note the authentic charred walls.) MC shorty is lighting the way... interesting to note this photo was taken in broad daylight, albeit inside the smokehouse, but with the door open!

Forgot to mention! There's actually no switch whatsoever on MC shorty! To activate, grab the PVC tubing in the palm and squeeze the bottom endcap against the body. To turn off, grab that bottom endcap and gently twist while pulling away from the body a bit, as if the tailcap were threaded (which it isn't).

Hope you've enjoyed!
    --Scott

*Flashaholic*

Default Re: Meet MC Shorty!

Cool! Scott, I think I saw that one at the last PF.

Larry
    So much for not being able to find my happy a** with both hands and a flashlight! (Do not look into Tank Searchlight with remaining eye!)

Wow, that looks amazing. I hope I win it in the raffle...
    ~Mini-Moder~

...and Master Milkyspit, one of the most creative builders/modders on CPF, does it again! He proves that anything can be turned into a photon emitting device (be it a powerful scorcher, or a battery-sucking contraption). Including this light in the raffle means a lot to me.

He's also taken it upon himself to try to convince me that I can really put things together like that, contrary to what I have been doing (smoking circuits and LED's).

BTW, I am the proud custodian of another of his acclaimed PVC creations. My light is a 1x123/1xAA convertible running a Lux, with a tactical style twisty. We've been fighting over who uses it since I received it. My wife just snatched it again (literally, as I type this) to go check something in the bathroom. It's an awesome light.

That sure looks interesting!
    LUX'Ottica

Flashaholic*

You keep amazing us. Looks like a hi tech bullet, I want one!
    Looking for a Z52 tailcap LOTC with witness marker on the edge where it meets the body. I prefer email over PM, por favor.

whoa, how does that switch work?
    Got busted lights? Send me a PM and depending on the situation, I'll take 'em off your hands. I always like a good modding challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryosphinx
    whoa, how does that switch work?
    Hey Kyro! Here's my description from above...

"To activate, grab the PVC tubing in the palm and squeeze the bottom endcap against the body. To turn off, grab that bottom endcap and gently twist while pulling away from the body a bit, as if the tailcap were threaded (which it isn't)."

The switch is basically a friction-fit PVC endcap with metal guts, being pressed into a spring running up the inside of the battery tube. Squeeze that endcap onto the battery tube (which you can easily do one-handed) to connect the circuit, give it a gentle twist while pulling away from the battery tube to disconnect. It's easier than it sounds and has been working flawlessly for quite some time. Was a PITA to design in the first place, though!
    --Scott

Thumbs up Re: Meet MC Shorty!

Thanks for making this Milkyspit!

I think I won this in the raffle and I'll make sure it gets plenty of use as a mini-lantern when I'm doing fieldwork in the mountains

Finally a good use for my not so fresh cr123s.

Milkyspit: Can this run on a R123? Don't want to fry it so if it ain't safe I wont.

Sverre

Congratulations NoFair!

I've never used R123's in this light. I don't think it's a good idea though... it might run okay but would try to drain the R123 all the way to nothing! Not good!

BTW, I'll need to get your shipping address plus see how much your shipping will cost. I think you can email the info to greenLED, or if you prefer, feel free to PM me with the info. Thanks!
    --Scott

Thumbs up Re: Meet MC Shorty!

It would be protected R123s, but it seems to be an ideal candidate for the half-spent cr123s so I'll probably stick to that.

I emailed Green since he preferred us to email him over contacting donors directly.
    BTW thanks for donating