• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired MR-X?

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
A while back I remember reading about the MR-X, a 5 watt MagMod built with a special heat sink and circuitry.

It was supposed to be the brightest single LED light ever built.

I know that they were extremely limited production and that there is a map with all the owners locations.

Does anyone have more info, bookmarked threads, etc.?

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, I found that one also, but it ends at post 620 or so, closed by Sasha with a new thread started that I can't seem to pull up.

Bill

cy

Flashaholic
I've got an MR-X X3T, it's easily the brightest single LED light I've seen. output is aprox same as surefire M6 lola. other MR-X owners have posted simular findings.

suspect this light is a candididate for a Ybin. have always wanted to get this light tested to see what lumens is actually getting out front end.

my MR-X runs cool even after a 40 minute continous run. beam is an angry yellowish tint.

difinately a mutant LED!

pull up past posts for hotbeam and burnt retinas

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
Thanks, I found that one also, but it ends at post 620 or so, closed by Sasha with a new thread started that I can't seem to pull up.

Bill

I think part 2 continues here.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The MR-X is a LuxV X3T run at 1500mA by a "magic resistor" regulated and was done by hotbeam and burnt retinas. It used a 2D Mag with 8xAA batteries ... most guys used NiMh of course.

Some beam shots:

MR-X
rl_led_17_mrx.jpg

SF L6
rl_led_14_l6.jpg

McLux-PR X3T at 750mA
rl_led_11_pr_x3t_750.jpg

SF M3 HOLA
rl_incan_4_m3hola.jpg

SF M6 HOLA
rl_incan_5_m6hola.jpg

bernie

P.S.: sorry for the crappy pics ... those are rather ancient :D

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bernie, big thanks!! You are a gentleman and a scholar! That is what I needed to see, along with the other info. I assume this means that you are the sole EU owner of a MR-X!

If anyone else has any more info, I'd love to see it.

Has anyone ever sold one?

Bill

cy

Flashaholic
yep, it's happens. that's how I got mine.

second run never happened. personally I think MR-X's batch of Xbins were mutant overachievers.

one huge advantage MR-X has over multi-luxeon lights is throw. having one focal point and being able to achieve optimal focus is why MR-X has excellent throw.

when placed next to ARCmania's Xbin tower module in Surefire M6 turbohead. MR-X crushes Xbin tower module.

only other light possibly in same league is PK-1 with Xbin side emitter. have always wanted to do a side by side shootout.

sloegin

Newly Enlightened
I believe that two have been sold. With a third on the market and then the seller changed their mind.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Bill ... I have sold mine a long time ago for a few hundred bucks. Not that much compared to nowadays prices of high grade customs. I cannot recall the original price though ... memory leak :sick2:

Some other fragments of info:
- UCL lens
- could run on L91 Lithiums
- had a red LED indicator that came on when the driver changed to direct drive (this was NEAT !! )
- IIRC head could be focussed

You can PM hotbeam ... he should have the MR-X brethren world-map ... :D

bernie

Starlight

Enlightened
More information: The drive level is adjustable from 1500ma down. I have set mine to 1200ma to lengthen the life of the LED. Even at 1200, it is hands down the LED throw king. The beam is focusable and it will pull down to a tight, round spot, gorgeous thing to see. I can't remember the original price, but it doesn't matter to me, mine is not for sale.

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one! ... and its still one of my favorites. I got mine second hand, but its not for sale now. I'd check with hotbeam and pm the current owners if there interested in parting with them.

Good luck.

MSax

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the map. I still need to remove the X from EU and put it into the US :grin2:

MR-X-brethren.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to ask why the x bin leds are so rare. I mean I am sure LumiLeds mass produced em for at least long enough to be quite a number of them. Or are they custom made or what? Has lumileds stopped producing them? And if not why hasnt there ever been a group buy? :D

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm only 10,000 lux for the Mr. X?? my overdriven 1.2amp UWOJ pumps out 12,450 lux measured at 1 meter with my Meterman meter.

Mac

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmacclel said:
Hmm only 10,000 lux for the Mr. X?? my overdriven 1.2amp UWOJ pumps out 12,450 lux measured at 1 meter with my Meterman meter.

Mac

the beauty of the luxV is not in throw. It's the size of the hot spot. You'll be shocked to see the difference between a LuxIII light and Lux V light with same throw in the real world.

the original price of 213 dollars seems like a bargin consider the exclusivity of the light. WOuld there be a chance of a similar light with "just" a W-bin LuxV?

Last edited: