Best Flashlight for Realtor

HopHead

Newly Enlightened
What would you recommend as the best light for a Realtor.

The light would be used for the following:

- Illuminating the sides of houses and roofs at night
- Inspecting foundations
- Illuminating dark basements and other rooms without electric service
- Inspecting eletrical panels
- Inspecting heating systems, AC systems, etc.
- Inspecting support beams for termite and water damage
- Illuminating attics and crawl spaces

I currently have a SureFire 6p that handles most of these tasks well but it is not rechargeable and is a little weak for illuminating the sides of houses and tall roofs. Inspecting homes at night requires frequent usage and eats up the CR123a batteries.

I would like a rechargeable light because it can be used during an entire 30 minute showing, several times a day. Ideally I would be able to top off the batteries in the car between showings or keep spare batteries on hand.

Preferred size is pocketable, 4 - 6 inches. I want something I can just keep in my pocket and only take out as needed. I don't want to carry a big mag-lite or spot-light.

Budget is under $200.00

Runtime should be at least 40 minutes per charge. More is better.

Macaw

Enlightened
The Surefire L4 is a very pocketable, bright light that could use 17670 rechargable cells
that should last the 40 min presentations. An L4 from Optics HQ (after you joined the club) and 3-4 cells and charger from AW should be within your budget. The Streamlight TL-3 incandescent puts out lots of light and can use a pair of 17500 cells to give you a good hour of use. A Tl-3 from Amazon.com and a bunch of 17500s and charger again from AW can be yours for less than the $200 budget. The only down side to the incans is that if you use it a lot then you will have to keep feeding the light new bulbs. Don't forget to throw in the extra buck for the car charging adapter.

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Streamlight Strion would be about the same size and form factor as the 6P, would be rechargeable, and has higher output than your typical 2 CR123 light. A little larger though still pocketable is the Streamlight Stinger with a little more output (works even better with a Strion bulb). Since both are made with public safety use (abuse?) in mind, they're both quite durable and are backed by a lifetime warranty. Neither one will cost you more than a $100 unless you go to a retail store that charges full bore retail; both are available from web resources for well under $100. Run time is estimated at 60 minutes for the Stinger, 70 minutes for the Strion, though run time will diminish as the battery wears.

Blindspot

Newly Enlightened
I started a thread recently asking about a good flashlight for a home inspector. You might want to reference that thread as the application is similar.

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire A2 comes to mind, except for the rechargable part. It's brighter than the 6P and more importantly, is regulated, so it's not only brighter initially, it'll stay the same brightness while the 6P dims. Plus you've got the LEDs for upclose work for when you don't need (or want) the full brightness of the incandescent bulb.

HopHead

Newly Enlightened
Is there a way to convert my 6p to rechargeable batteries while keeping the flashlight the same size, same or better output, and runtime greater than 40 minutes?

The 6p really does 95% of what I need, except it isn't rechargeable.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire has that solution for you in the KR2-BK conversion kit, though it will extend the length of the 6P by about 2 inches and it lists for $89 or more than the cost of the 6P itself.

HopHead said:
Is there a way to convert my 6p to rechargeable batteries while keeping the flashlight the same size, same or better output, and runtime greater than 40 minutes?

Timson

Enlightened
HopHead said:

Yep,

Get a 9V Lamp assembly and a pair of RCR123's.....Check out the dealers section for AW's Li-Ion cells.

This will up your output to that of a 3 cell Surefire and ought to meet your runtime needs.
You could get 2 or 3 pairs of cells and always have a spare charged set to hand.

Tim.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that thread I suggested the L4, it was quickly dismissed as not producing enough light to illuminate an already lit up room.. I think a Realtor and a home inspector have very different motives..
A Realtor does not want every flaw in a wall to be highlighted..
Again, my opinion may not be the best, but I do inspect houses, as well as hold a licence to sell. Either is my primary source of income.
For a realtor, I would say the L4, it will cover all the bases except the tall roof throw.. My Mother, Sister and Brother are all Realtors.. :)

Blindspot said:
I started a thread recently asking about a good flashlight for a home inspector. You might want to reference that thread as the application is similar.

Stevie P

Newly Enlightened
Re: Best Flashlight for Realtor - Here's what you need!

You will *love* this kit...reasonable price, very fast shipping and service from Lighthound (I don't work for them, just order from them!)

I have this kit for my 6P and really like it. Get a spare pair of MP700mAh batteries and you'll be all set.

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/gp_surefire_accessories.htm - see top item on page (G&P G90 Bulb + DSD R123 800 mAh kit $34.99)

http://www.lighthound.com/images/gp/gp_G90Lamp.jpg

Hope this helps!
Steve

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK I have great personal interest on this topic. I have learned on my own and with the help of CPF . I have used a SUREFIRE C3 as that was IMHO the brightest for the money 200 lumens! YES it is bright and makes an impression. Now I see the PILA lights and the Wolf Eyes lights and the NexTorch series that are more powereful in some cases. Realtor, Inspector both need to see indoors and the exterior. Those PILAS esp the 300 and 500 lumen models look tempting.

I have enjoyed great use from my Pelican M6, Surefire G2 and C3.
Currently I carry a 5 watt LED Nuwai $75 CR123 that light gives me broad flood from my belt carrying case. The main light I now use is the ......................
SUREFIRE A2 AVIATOR w/ Green LEDS!
I know 50 lumens for approaching $200 and $25 a bulb does not initially make sense yet upon review and experience that is the BEST LIGHT!

there are wondeful postings here explaining the reasons WHY.

I spend many of my other moments away from this forum looking at the exterior of houses at night as well as the interior.

You should DEFINITELY get a green heavy duty laser pointer!
it's does wonders showing rotted boards up high etc.

My A2 RULES!!!!

I have been enlightened ;as it has been said here: "with the A2 either you get it (understand it) or you don't"

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome!

Lots of great suggestions here already. Here's another one—Try looking at the SureFire L2 since it is a two-stage lighting tool with great overall flood light. Looks like it'll do fine for what you're doing, since this particular light is excellent for the short to medium range.

You can try purchasing this light either from Lighthound.Com or OpticsHQ.Com. As for the batteries, you can get AW's rechargeable batteries for the SF.L2 here—

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/103009

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

carrot

Flashaholic
I have to agree with the above posters, the A2 would be a good choice. You'll have long runtimes on the LEDs and a nice, white beam on high/incandescent. You can also get 123 batteries for $1 each from Amondotech.com, which I use in my A2.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
HopHead said:

With a bit of work, you can. I use the Pila 3.7V lamp assembly (fits Surefires if you get the spring) and if you bore out the body, you can fit 18650 cells in there. You don't need a lathe, just a dremel tool with grinding attachment. I have converted all my Surefire C/M/Z series to use the 18650 cell. If you don't want to do the work, you can use 17670 cells for shorter runtime. But why compromise? Once you go 18650, you'll never go back.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
HopHead said:

With a bit of work, you can. I use the Pila 3.7V lamp assembly (fits Surefires if you get the spring) and if you bore out the body, you can fit 18650 cells in there. You don't need a lathe, just a dremel tool with grinding attachment. I have converted all my Surefire C/M/Z series to use the 18650 cell. If you don't want to do the work, you can use 17670 cells for shorter runtime. But why compromise? Once you go 18650, you'll never go back. The newer Pila lamps are nicer than the Surefire P60 lamp IMO. They're brighter, whiter, and throws a little better.