Visa, Paypal and the internet for Business

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I have had a substantial more of my customers (Brick and mortar store) requesting payment Via Visa, I have no interest in Visas exploded rates for acceptance so I decline.
Can I accept Visa as a payment through Pay pal without my customers signing up for Pay pal?
Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks!
David

changsn

Newly Enlightened
From what I know you need to have a PayPal account to use PayPal - either way. If you upgrade to a premium account so you can charge your payments /receive charge card payments, there is a change in fees. For your customers to use PayPal, they must have an account.
Sam

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have a premium account, but I was hoping there was a way someone could send money with a credit card without an account..

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen businesses on the internet that can accept PayPal payments from customers that don't have an account, but I don't know how they do it.

JM-99

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jumpmaster said:
I have seen businesses on the internet that can accept PayPal payments from customers that don't have an account, but I don't know how they do it.

JM-99
Yes, that's right. I don't (and won't) have a paypal acct but all of my Country Comm transactions go through paypal because I get an email reciept from them, even though I used VISA. Like JM I have no idea how they do it.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The magic answer to everything... Costco seems to have pretty low credit card processing fees (at least, for the US):

Costco Merchant Card Program:

1.64% plus 20¢ per swiped VISA and MasterCard transaction for retail merchants **
1.99% for mail order or phone order merchants plus 27¢ per VISA and MasterCard transaction **
$4.95 monthly statement fee is waived for Executive Members
Does it seem like they can help you?

-Bill

morituri

Newly Enlightened
I have a Paypal Premier account. Your customers can pay you via credit cards (Mastercard or Visa) without having to open a Paypal account. In your Paypal account, click the Merchant Tools tab and they will have all the options available, including having a shopping cart, setting up recurring payments, Buy Now button, etc.

For more information, go here :

https://www.paypal.com/row/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_wp-standard-overview

greenLED

Flashaholic
Pydpiper said:
Can I accept Visa as a payment through Pay pal without my customers signing up for Pay pal?
I haven't seen a PayPal setup you can use at your B&M store (as a PayPal card reader thingy).

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Recently called PayPal about this very issue. PayPal agent said to hit the "REQUEST MONEY" button, on my Premier PayPal account's home page, and send an invoice to the customer's email address. The emailed invoice gives the option to pay via credit card, without registering. I did this recently, and it worked fine.

oldgrandpajack

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's unbelievable. I gather that you're in a someone rural or remote area? I can't imagine a brick and mortar store that doesn't not accept Visa and MasterCard. As a matter of fact, the number of stores that only accept Visa and MasterCard are somewhat limited to pretty small enterprises (mom & pop). Most stores will also accept Discover (in the U.S.), and American Express. You should discuss your options with you bank and other merchant service providers in Canada, as they probably differ from the merchant options that are available in the States.

Pydpiper said:
Recently I have had a substantial more of my customers (Brick and mortar store) requesting payment Via Visa, I have no interest in Visas exploded rates for acceptance so I decline.
Are there any other alternatives?

Thanks!
David

magic79

Enlightened
We pay approximately 3% plus $15/month to take Visa.

You don't think you would expand your business by 3% if you took Visa/MC??? We figure we get about 15% more business by taking credit cards.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys were busy while I was gone today.. Thanks.

When I say Brick and Mortar I should clarify and state that all the financial transactions are done at my customers kitchen table, my business is primarily mobile.

My business would not increase by accepting visa the traditional way. However, this particular customer is almost demanding it, so I may try to pacify her.
My Paypal account was created for the sole purpose of utilizing Ebay to generate a small cash flow for toys.. More specifically flashlights and flashlight related stuff.. I wouldn't mind letting the odd customer slide a payment through my Paypal account.
Don't get me wrong, some people ask, but when I refuse they quickly find alternatives. In 8 years of flying solo this is the first time anyone has layed the "I don't know..I'll have to talk to my husband" line on me.
Once is a reason to look for an alternative payment method, if it happens twice I may respond to the hundreds of calls I get from Visa on a yearly basis to use their service.

OGJ, awesome to hear!

Thanks again everyone, I need the info...

David

greenLED

Flashaholic
oldgrandpajack said:
Recently called PayPal about this very issue. PayPal agent said to hit the "REQUEST MONEY" button, on my Premier PayPal account's home page, and send an invoice to the customer's email address. The emailed invoice gives the option to pay via credit card, without registering. I did this recently, and it worked fine.
Outstanding!! Thanks for sharing that tip. Not many people can say "I don't have an e-mail address" these days. :)

G'luck, Pyd.