barry bonds will eclipse the babe by mothers day

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I used to like Bonds when he was playing for the Pirates. Now, not so much. He's kind of tainted now, as is his homerun total. I hope he retires before topping Hammering Hank. That just wouldn't be right.

Geoff

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
senecaripple said:
will you be watching with abated breath like you did when mark macguire passed #61?

No, not at all.

(For the same reasons expressed by Flying Turtle.)

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming he doesn't break the record before Mothers Day, I will not only be watching the game, I will be there. I have had plans to go to the first game he plays in Houston against the Astro's which is the day after Mothers Day. I will be there simply to boo him. Too bad he still gets supported if I come by my ticket price. I don't like him at all. He does not deserve any records not only for his steroid usage, but also his rude attitude. Now, *que a San Francisco native's harsh words against me*

-Cameron

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Barry who? Lol actually I have heard his name but have no idea who he is besides a baseball player who takes steroids, it has been since 1983 that I watched a complete baseball game, when the Tigers won the world series.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
He may pass Babe Ruth's home run total, but he will NOT eclipse him.

Ruth hit his home runs when no one else was close to producing those kinds of numbers, Bonds lives in an era of a live ball and juicing players.

Bill

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a true baseball fan and can appreciate what Barry has done. More so than Sosa, Big Mac and even my hero Canseco he was a talent BEFORE the juice. He was the best 5 tool athlete since his godfather, Willie Mays! His dad Bobby was also a 5 tool monster. Granted it does not look good for him right now but, who's to say Aaron did not use amphetamines? What if the Babe used coke? We can't claim ignorance to rule that "may have" been broken as he has never failed a drug test. I'm the first to admit the man has done more juice than a horse in the Kentucky derby but, let's give him his time to shine, he's earned my respect for 20 years of dedication to his craft.

Also Ruth is a "bigger than life" character. He hit more homeruns in a year than most teams back in the 1920's. Barry could hit 900 and still not pass the Babe (BTW- i'm a die hard Sox fan)

Also Barry has never pitched nevermind pitched as well as Babe Ruth... make that tool # 6 lol

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Barry Bonds:

Before the juice: 1998 - 37 HR's
1999 - 34 HR's with a .262 batting average by the way ( I will note that he only played in 102 games this year but he was really showing signs of his age, note the batting average)

Must have been a heck of an offseason to get him back in shape. Look below.

With the juice: 2000 - 49 HR's
2001 - 73 HR's

I have very little respect for Barry Bonds. For me no record he sets will be a true record. It will be just a black spot in the history of baseball and the sooner Barry is gone from the game the better off baseball will be. Maybe then the game will begin to heal itself from all the wounds inflicted by primadonna athletes and greedy owners.

Last edited:

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
But both sets of numbers are enough to get into the hall. He's a player from the word go and puts it all on the line to win.

I know the juice part has some bitter but it was widespread.... not just him. Let's not single the hate out to Barry because he is the most talented man to juice in baseball.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
LifeNRA - He started his juice in 1999 after he was jealous of Mac and Sosa and ruptured a triceps muscle from overdoing it...he showed up to camp about 20 pounds heavier.

LifeNRA said:
Barry Bonds:

Before the juice: 1998 - 37 HR's
1999 - 34 HR's with a .262 batting average by the way ( I will note that he only played in 102 games this year but he was really showing signs of his age, note the batting average)

Must have been a heck of an offseason to get him back in shape. Look below.

With the juice: 2000 - 49 HR's
2001 - 73 HR's

I have very little respect for Barry Bonds. For me no record he sets will be a true record. It will be just a black spot in the history of baseball and the sooner Barry is gone from the game the better off baseball will be. Maybe then the game will begin to heal itself from all the wounds inflicted by primadonna athletes and greedy owners.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Manzerick said:
But both sets of numbers are enough to get into the hall. He's a player from the word go and puts it all on the line to win.

I know the juice part has some bitter but it was widespread.... not just him. Let's not single the hate out to Barry because he is the most talented man to juice in baseball.
Barry is being singled out because he threatens 2 of the greatest in the game. Ruth and Aaron are icons in the baseball world and for someone to take away their records while not playing fair is just wrong.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lov Clemens...always have...always will.... so please don't take this as anti Roger but....

why does he get a free pass to break records? He appears just as guilty

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Manzerick said:
LifeNRA - He started his juice in 1999 after he was jealous of Mac and Sosa and ruptured a triceps muscle from overdoing it...he showed up to camp about 20 pounds heavier.
And you still respect him????????

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Manzerick said:
I lov Clemens...always have...always will.... so please don't take this as anti Roger but....

why does he get a free pass to break records? He appears just as guilty
To date I have not seen or heard of anyone or any evidence that
Clemens is juiced. I have no idea to be honest. I will note that
Clemens weight gain is in his belly and not his arms. He has gotten fatter in the gut. That would not suggest steroid use to me. Besides that there is no paper trail to follow on him like there is Bonds.

Edit to add: I have never been a big fan of Clemens so I am not taking up for him. I always considered him a dirty pitcher when he was in Boston and NY. He was real brave in knocking hitters off the plate with that fastball because he never had to bat. When he went to Houston and had to bat he went inside with that fastball much less often.

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clemens is a total jerk. Remember when he threw the broken bat part back at the batter (while he was running)? Or the hundereds of times he beans people (or tries to)?

To hell with all the juicers too. My favorite ball player of all time is Mark Grace. Ryne Sandberg a close second. These were real players. I'm a big fan of Derrick Lee too, bummer he broke his arm.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a Astro fan, I have to say I appreciate Clemens. Without him, I am not so sure we would have gotten where we did last year. But from what it appears thus far into this season, we are just dandy without him. I am willing to say take your 18 million from last year and shove it up your butt. But if he were added to our team, I wont say I dont like that either, cause he sure wont hurt us.
But with that said, I totally agree he is a total jerk. Not even bringing up his past I will say that. Amidst all the talks we have just started with him now that May 1st came around, he won't say yes or no. Make the damn decision and let us know. I dont think he will go anywhere but Houston. Anyhow, when we did first sign him a few years ago, he said he wouldn't join unless his son had a locker with his or some crap like that...whatever. Thats just retarded. We treated him like a King and all he wants is more. If he didn't pitch on a road trip, he wasn't even required to join the trip. But, I dont have any reason to believe he took steroids. I just can't see that in him for whatever reason.

-Cameron

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a die hard Sox fan and lov Roger but I understand he must have taken something. In 1996 he was out of shape, thin in the chest (LifeNRA check out come pic's of his chest and shoulders..one word: JACKED) and overall not a force. He then goes to the Blue Jays and his career changed as did his body. Once again, he belongs in the hall as it was against the games rules.

We can fault the union, owners and even us fans but the truth be told, they did not break any rules, just records 

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roid rage LOL

It was sad but him and Piazza had some bad blood back to sprint training in 2000.... He's emotional and it got the best of him. Roger is still the man and the best righty not named Nolan Ryan :)

Planterz said:
Clemens is a total jerk. Remember when he threw the broken bat part back at the batter (while he was running)? Or the hundereds of times he beans people (or tries to)?

To hell with all the juicers too. My favorite ball player of all time is Mark Grace. Ryne Sandberg a close second. These were real players. I'm a big fan of Derrick Lee too, bummer he broke his arm.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an interesting paradox:

6'1" 250 pound NFL lineman is considered by all to be a big guy

6'1" 250 pound MLB outfield is considered by all to be a big juice head!

Think Ray Lewis to Sammy Sosa….. Jose Canseco to David Boston… It's all relative

LifeNRA said:
And you still respect him????????

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Manzerick said:
We can fault the union, owners and even us fans but the truth be told, they did not break any rules, just records 
They broke United States law if they took steroids.

Why would baseball need a rule outlawing something that was illegal? :huh2: