Votes: 4 5.8%
  • coffee

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • others

Votes: 22 31.9%

• Total voters

gnef

Enlightened
hopefully as a positive spin off from another thread... what is your favorite flavor of ice cream? you can give a reason if you like, but not necessary, just post your preference!

i will try to put as many as i can in the poll, but i will have to be preferential and use an 'others' category, i hope this does not seem discriminatory. heh.

edit - i went first. vanilla. it's a classic. don't quite know why i like it, but it is definitely quite tasty. for those of you in the south and have HEB grocery stores, i really like the creamy creations vanilla.

Last edited:

zulu45

Enlightened
I gotta vote for Other on this one. A brand called Turner (which unfortunately doesn't make this flavor anymore) used to have a yellow cake flavored ice cream. I was so hooked, then they suddenly discontinued it. Of course, I was dying to find it, but can't find it anywhere. My mother, who makes mango ice cream, thankfully, did some experimenting, and managed to make yellow cake flavored ice cream, which was even better. So, I just need her to teach me how she made it, which I plan to learn over this summer.

gnef

Enlightened
that's awesome. i've heard of making your own ice cream, but i had sorta assumed it wouldn't be as good as store-bought. if it isn't a secret recipe, please share (when you learn)!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a tough one. I picked Cherry because I like "Cherries Jubilee" from Stater Brothers. I do like chocolate, also. I really like Chocolate Malted Crunch from Rite Aid/Thrifty's. Spumoni's good, too. ...and Vanilla...

Oh, I know.... Mashti Malone's Rose Water ice cream! mmmmm Mashti Malone's is an ice cream shop in Hollywood on La Brea, in between Hollywood Blvd and Sunset. About a year ago, they opened up a shop in Glendale, too, but I'm not sure if it's still open. Their Faloudeh is terrific (called Rose Sorbet, on their website). They ship their exotic flavors, too, so anybody who wants to experience something a little different can. Here's their website: http://www.mashtimalone.com/ I've been going there since the early 80's. On their web page, there is a picture of three men--the Persian guy on the left is the same guy that has always served my ice cream ever since I was a kid. My uncle and I refer to him as "Mashti", though I think they just made the name up.

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
I voted others. My all time favorite is Blue Bell Fruit Special. This is, as far as I can tell, discontinued. It was seasonal the last years of it's existence, only being continued at that point because the wife of a board member loved it.

The ice cream itself was said to be much like tuiti fruiti, although I never experienced that one. Fruit Special was marshmellows, nuts, pineapple dyed colors, probably other fruits like pears dyed in various colors, and cherries, in a base of pink ice cream. Man, I miss it!

Current favorite is Blue Bell Homemade Golden Vanilla. Makes an awesome root beer float.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
gnef said:
that's awesome. i've heard of making your own ice cream, but i had sorta assumed it wouldn't be as good as store-bought. if it isn't a secret recipe, please share (when you learn)!

Oooooohhh Are YOU in for a treat then - home made ice cream is usually MUCH better than store bought - even the super premium store bought

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
This place near my fiance's house can make literally any flavor of soft-serve. And they're spot on, I tried a few different kinds and it was really impressive. And HUGE..

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh man, you guys are making me hungry!!

Choc chip, chocolate, anything choc is good, basically. Cookies and cream owns me too. Actually.. I can't recall ever meeting ice cream that I DIDN'T like! Only something corn flavored in the far distant past, my memory of that is totally hazy though.

carrot

Flashaholic
My favorite is Ben and Jerry's Doonsberry... or rather (since they renamed it) Berry Berry.

I saw ketchup-flavored ice cream once, and now I'm kicking myself for not having tried it.

gnef

Enlightened
no love for neapolitan? it's like getting three in one! haha

TorchMan

Enlightened
I just checked the Blue Bell website, and no fruit special. :rant: :ohgeez:

And the Homemade Vanilla says nothing about golden. Maybe it's the golden lid that had me thinking that. Also, the no sugar added vanilla is very good.

I did see in the pints section another favorite - Country Cooler. Orange sherbert swirled with vanilla. A Dreamcicle in a pint. Mmmm, ice cream...

zulu45

Enlightened
Heh, if you're serious, I will be learning the recipie this weekend (hopefully), so I can PM you how to make it.

danielo_d

Enlightened
I voted "Others"
which for me was "Mint Chocolate Chip". Ummm Yummm.
My wife and daughter likes Cookies -n- Cream, but halfway through they always want to trade with me. Funny how that works, eh?

gnef

Enlightened
haha. i think i could eat a whole half gallon in one sitting if i wanted to.

as for the recipe - if it is as good as you say, i would definitely be interested with detailed instructions - i am not that much of a cook, but i like making my own stuff (for example, i make my own beer) thanks!