100% Transparent Glass

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn, they better not start to use this for glass doors or there'll be lotsa lawsuits coming along :D

How about using them for buildings? Imagine, you can see right into the building structure!

Of course, for flashlight lenses they'd be great too, if they didn't cost an arm and a leg.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing something like this many years ago, it was a combination of a high quality glass, maybe a lead crystal?, and a special coating and polishing process. As a demonstration they made a wine glass with it and the video was amazing. You couldn't see it at all until they poured wine into it, it was just floating in mid air. Amazing. But the process to polish and coat it was so time consuming and tedious that it never gained any use commercially as far as I know.

Fun to see that people are still working on similar things.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think some of the AR glass lenses now have about 95-97% clarity already? If so, then another 3-5% won't do much. It's just super interesting for making other 'invisible' objects :D

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would love to have a set of glasses... it would look cool when a liquid is suspended but I'd be afraid to lose one anywhere lol

Donovan

Enlightened
James S said:
I remember seeing something like this many years ago, it was a combination of a high quality glass, maybe a lead crystal?, and a special coating and polishing process. As a demonstration they made a wine glass with it and the video was amazing. You couldn't see it at all until they poured wine into it, it was just floating in mid air. Amazing. But the process to polish and coat it was so time consuming and tedious that it never gained any use commercially as far as I know.

Fun to see that people are still working on similar things.
Would love to see that video. You have any other information I can search on?

Luna

Enlightened
CroMAGnet said:
A new meta-material for LEDs or flashlight lense material from Japan?
Endgaget Link

Great, I have a hard enough time trying to find my drink as it is with the wife around. Now I will never find the damned thing! EVAR

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Scotty on the movie "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" traded the formula for transparent aluminum for Plexiglas sheets thick enough to create water tanks suitable for transporting two humpback whales through time. I don't know if this product is *TRULY* transparent, but it's unusual anyway.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The McLuxIII PD comes with a (nearly) transparent aluminum lense. Well, aluminum oxide , that is.

greenLED

Flashaholic
The_LED_Museum said:
Scotty on the movie "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" traded the formula for transparent aluminum for Plexiglas sheets thick enough to create water tanks suitable for transporting two humpback whales through time. I don't know if this product is *TRULY* transparent, but it's unusual anyway.
I remember that movie. Transparent aluminum, or Aluminum oxynitride is what we'll be using next for flashlight windows. :) (Wiki-link) If somebody can confirm it's electrically conductive (I doubt it, it's actually a ceramic compound), we can start making transparent flashlights. :crazy:

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Nude flashlights eh.... what next, flashlight case mods aka PC case mods???

I can see it now, sound activated ccfl tubes to show off the innards of your flashlight!!

Last edited:

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'll pass on the 100% transparent glass. I mean, have any of you ever dropped a UCL right after cleaning it? :ohgeez: I usually end up crawling around on the carpet looking for the little bit of reflected light from flashlights set up around the room. Not fun! If not for that little bit of reflected light my bedroom would be a hazardous area for bare feet.

paulr

Flashaholic
That engadget entry is garbled, there's no such thing as a negative index of refraction. For glass to be invisible the index must be the same as the surrounding medium, which is 1.0 for air. If you put glass underwater, it "disappears" because its index is similar to that of water (around 1.3).