How does the SF L5 beam compare to a L2 & L4?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
L2 and L4 use a 1 inch bezel. They are nearly all flood, without much of a tight spot.

The L5 (and the L6, L7 and U2) use a bigger and deeper reflector in a larger bezel (~1.5 inch). They focus the light tighter than a L2 or L4. Because of the relatively large size of the Lux V emitter, they will still have a fairly large spot with a lot of spill.

All of these lights are likely to show variations in tint. I've heard of greens and blues in the whole Surefire Lux V lineup. All of these lights have some probability of showing a "donut". It seems to be a fact of life when you have a Lux V, especially if it is in a Surefire.

I have a U2, which ought to have a beam very similar to the L5. I like the beam a lot. It is focused enough to throw a good hundred feet or more, and has a ton of light in the spill. The overall spill diameter is somewhat smaller than many other lights I have used. It really excels at illuminating large open indoor spaces, such as large dark basements or parking garages.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
L2 is similar to L4, but a bit brighter, if the Lottery does not intervene. L5 is similar to U2, but I *suspect* the U2 might be driven a bit harder.

Some shots .... shootout #1:

SF L4:
OS2L4.jpg

SF L5:
OS2L5.jpg

#2 ... SF L4:
OutdoorL4.jpg

SF U2:
OutdoorU2level6.jpg

#3 ... SF L4:
realtl4.jpg

SF U2:
realtu2level6.jpg

The L4 is a flood light that can illuminate your whole yard without having to move it ... but the throw kinda sucks. The L5 is more like a "ram of light" with a tight and bright corona, big and soft spot with a smooth transition. Has some throw, and excels at medium distances where the corona has strength.

bernie

nc987

Enlightened
Yeah L5 and U2 have identical beam shapes. Tint varies on both of mine but the beam itself is the same. The L6 throws farther and has a sligtly smaller beam diameter.

dmz

Enlightened
Does the L5 get hot like the L4? I know it means the heat sinking is working in the L4 when it heats up. Does the L5 do this or does it just get a little warm?

JanCPF

Enlightened
dmz,

The runtime of the L5 and the L4 are about the same. They have very similar dc converters and the Lux V is driven at about the same current level.

The L5 runs much cooler than the L4, but if you are going to use this light as a walking light (both are excellent choices far that task) the heat isn't a big issue, because the constant airflow will cool the L4 bezel.

Jan

dmz

Enlightened
What are the affordable rechargeable battery options for the L5?

JanCPF

Enlightened
dmz said:
What are the affordable rechargeable battery options for the L5?
17670 Li-Ion cell + DSD charger from either Lighthound or member AW. (50-60 min. runtime in full regulation)

Jan

txaggiechl

Newly Enlightened
Nope, you'd have to bore out the L5 body a little. Somone on CPF did it with success and is using the 18650's just fine.