HDS EDC Ultimate 60 XR or SF U2 Ultra???

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Hi! First-time poster here... The amount of insight so many of you provide to the forums is amazing - it has been very helpful in my research for the "perfect edc" light.

And my search is down to TWO lights... and I need your help!

HDS EDC Ultimate 60 XR (GT doesn't matter to me)
OR
Surefire U2 Ultra

Since the prices are both up there, I'm not factoring that into the equation - if I'm going to spend what I consider a lot of money, I'm going to buy whichever is the best for me.

SO, I would just like to know everyone's opinion on the matter...

My thoughts are that the U2 seems prone to some problems with the tailcap and the donut hole (no need to comment on this - it's all over the forum!). The HDS EDC seems to be a sturdy light - slightly smaller and slightly less powerful, but still good for what I do (Backpacking, light construction, rock climbing, biking). Yet the capabilities of the U2 to light up... well, everything, is pretty sweet.

What are people's thoughts? Has anyone done side-by-side comparisons? It seems like these two are very unique lights, with variable brightness as a huge plus.

Thanks guys!
John

hivoltage

Enlightened
Welcome...I have had both. I sold my U2 and bought an HDS and have no regrets. I like carrying a smaller light myself. Not so sure the HDS is not as bright as the U2!!!

barnabe

Newly Enlightened
I only have a HDS 60XRGT, but I think SF U2 is also a very good flashlight, more runtime, brighter, simpler, but bigger. U2 is a little bit too large to EDC it IMO.
If you want EDC your flashlight, I would advise you get a HDS60XR, state of the art UI, might be complex at first, but wonderfully versatile flashlight, obviously not as bright as SF U2.

So it's up to you...

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!
Both are great lights, but they're in completely different size categories (at least in the stock HDS configuration), as well as different beam properties (the U2 is a LuxeonV-based light). I hate to do this, but: "get both" :laughing:

jch79

Get both?!?!? Geez - my pocketbook wasn't prepared for that! As for the size, the U2 is a tiny bit too large to stuff into my bag everyday, but it's not too "big" of an issue - I can always get rid of my eyeglass case!

Keep the replies coming - I'm still dazed & confused!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
They aren't comparable. Different size, different output, different throw ... AND ... most of all, very much different interface.

BUT ... on a pragmatic level ... if you say both of those lights can fulfill your needs perfectly ... get the smaller one! :D

bernie

ront

Newly Enlightened
I have both and both are great lights, but as greenLED said, they are two very different lights! If you are looking for a true EDC light, then I think the HDS is really the only choice. The U2 is just too big for me to EDC. The U2 has a very effective span of different light levels though and is very easy to use. The HDS has a small learning curve, but nothing you can't pic up in 10 minutes with the light and the manual in hand. It also has different levels of light that you can adjust.
I think that the U2 has a brighter beam, but the HDS is no slouch at all. Here are a couple of pictures for you.
DSCN5643_edited-1.jpg

DSCN5641_edited-1.jpg

DSCN5640_edited-1.jpg

DSCN5639_edited-1.jpg

DSCN5625_edited-1.jpg

Hope that helps a bit.

Ron

jch79

Ron - Thanks for the pics side-by-side - HUGE help! It's good to see these things next to eachother on the table and in the hand.

Also, thanks everyone else so far... despite the fact that the U2 is an awesome light, I think I might go for the HDS EDC... stuffing it my pocket, my pack, or my messenger bag wouldn't be really noticeable... whereas the U2 might be a bit too much.

Has anyone done field comparisons between the two? I'm going to hike in Mexico for a week, and wanted something that I can search through my pack with at night, and light up the inside of a Cenote (underground lakes - very cool) at night... I can only pack one... which has the advantage as far as a good mixture between flooding & spotting?

You guys are going to make me a flashaddict - this is not a good thing!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Underground lake ... won't you need more than one light there ... backups and such? Sounds dangerous with only one tool to support your primary sensory input devices (Eyeballs MkI). Every tool can fail and it will do so at the most "interesting" moment for sure :sick2:

For lighting up a *lake* you'll need considerably more firepower than those two combined I think. The U2 is brighter than the HDS ... but even the U2 won't help much with a lake, I am afraid. Unless the lake is very small of course. :D

bernie

jch79

Thanks for the post Bernie - I'm not planning on putting myself into an "interesting" situation (ha!), as I'm not going to be in water at night, but just wanted to know if either could pierce the surface of the water and light up what's underneath...

As for the size of the cenotes... they are usually small (say around 100' wide) although some are lake-size) - and the best part for night-time watching is that the water is CRYSTAL clear - so if the HDS could hack it in all of my other daily demands for an EDC, is there that much of a difference in the two light's abilities to light it up while hiking & exploring?

THANKS!!!!!

ront

Newly Enlightened
Also, keep in mind that on full power (approx 60 Lumens) the HDS will only run about 30-40 minutes. It will last longer if you use lower levels of light though.

Ron

jch79

ront said:
Also, keep in mind that on full power (approx 60 Lumens) the HDS will only run about 30-40 minutes. It will last longer if you use lower levels of light though.

Ron
That was something that concerned me - at full power, the U2 is supposed to last over an hour (64 minutes according to flashlightreviews.com), before it hits 50%... and it's a more powerfull light!
Thanks for bringing that up Ron - important point to keep in mind for my trip!

HonorKnight

Newly Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost.
Always have a back up light. Something small and inexpensive is fine. Small Fenix or Inova X1 is good. At the very least you should have a small case with a spare battery on you if not a spare light and be able to change the battery in the dark.
Got with the HDS. Smaller is better for EDC. Although I like a 6 inch or so flashlight that is REALLY bright to carry on my belt sometimes for a couple of reasons.

iocheretyanny

Enlightened
jch79 said:
That was something that concerned me - at full power, the U2 is supposed to last over an hour (64 minutes according to flashlightreviews.com), before it hits 50%... and it's a more powerfull light!
Thanks for bringing that up Ron - important point to keep in mind for my trip!
When comparing runtimes, keep in mind - HDS is single cell and U2 uses 2 CR123's.

greenLED

Flashaholic
+1 on the backup lights. I learned the other day that serious cavers don't go into a cave unless they have 5 lights on them (plus an "oh S**t!" light). I'd definitely take a couple of lights with me (seriously waterproof).

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The U2 is significantly more powerful and throws better than the HDS. AFAIK runtime of the U2 in high his more like 45-50 minutes, but this will of course depend on the Luxeon Lottery.
Both lights do have the advantage of lower power levels which makes runtime a bit less important. If you'd really need so much light for such a long time in continious burn both lights are underpowered. IMHO of course.

To be honest ... it sounds like you'd need a THIRD light in addition to those two ... a really powerful one ... :devil:

On a more serious note ... the best light you have is the one you got with you when you need it ... and even if the U2 is stronger and runs longer, the HDS can be easily carried everywhere whereas the U2 is too big to EDC for most of us. If only one light it will be ... I'd also think about this issue.

And while we are at it ... you'd also need a really small keychain as permanent EDC or back-up, however you will call it. We all do it, and it feels so good :D

bernie

magic79

Enlightened
What they all said...

Plus, the clip on the HDS is designed so that you can clip it to the bill of a baseball cap to give you a temporary headlamp configuration, which could be handy when exploring (although I don't think I would trust the clip enough to lean over the water)

And...I also found I couldn't change brightness levels on the U2 with one hand. Some people can, so YMMV.

arnold ziffle

Newly Enlightened
i have an hds u60xrgt and i think its the perfect for edc. the only problem , its so good i havent wanted another light in a while. they can be had for about 175 or so . to me the beam is ideal , nice hotspot , good throw , bright and wide spillbeam, and with the gt no wondering if you won the luxean lottery, you did. i run mine at 30 lumens and rarely bump it to 60. its still good for 50 yards or so. i cant say enough about it .

ront

Newly Enlightened
Whichever light you get, be sure to check out OpticsHQ. They are a good place to deal with!! (thanks greenLED:))

Ron