What is your eyesight?

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
The height thread made me think of this. Actually I was going to post this about a month ago but I was afraid on one would believe me.
I have always had great vision. I was a state shooting champion when I was just 13 years old. I could beat grown men in rifles when I was that age. I have the trophies and targets to prove it. My Dad always said that I had the best eyesight he had ever seen. Whenever someone loses something in the grass or gravel or barn around here they always call me. I can usually find it. I have great side vision also. I can see things move that others miss. I was very blessed with good eyes.

I had my eyes checked a while back where they make you stand at a line and cover up one eye then the other, you know the test. Well the nurse told me to cover my left eye first and read with my right. I did so and read each line as she pointed to them. I noticed that at first she was just looking at me as she pointed to the line, then she started watching the letters on every line as we went down the list. I read the bottom letters and she let out a whoop like you never heard before and stamped her foot. I had no idea what was wrong with her. I asked her if everything was OK and she said that I was the first person in the history of that office to ever read the bottom line. She told everyone in the office and I got a standing ovation from the nurses at the desk. I was hoping they would hand me a million dollar check but that never happened. :ohgeez:
I could not read the bottom line with my left eye but read the one above it.
My vision is 20/10 right eye and 20/15 left eye.
Now, I am 37 years old so I think that is pretty good.

Last edited:

dragoman

Enlightened
My left eye is 20/15, but my right is 20/400.

I have to wear one contact lens in my right eye to compensate for my nearsightedness.

Oddly enough, with both eyes I'm 20/20....

dragoman

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same deal here, I have 20/15 in both eyes (also at age 37). I also have above average night vision for whatever reason. On the other hand I have the sense of smell of a small rock :(

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read Chuck Yeager's autobiographical books and he stated that his sight was twice as good as normal. As a fighter pilot visual prowess is way up there on the list. It has been said that 85% of all fighter pilots ever shot down never knew that they were in a fight until they got hit. IIRC Yeager would have the ground crew load his machine guns without any tracers. That way he could open up on targets much farther out and any misses wouldn't alert his target to his presence as they shot right past his cockpit. Then Yeager could just move in a bit closer and take another 'first shot'.

I don't know what my vision is but it has slipped some in the last ten years. I can still pass what seems to be one of the toughest flashaholics vision tests, though -- I can still read the display on my Maha c808m charger. Instead of getting glasses I think I'll just keep getting a bigger monitor every three years. :D

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My eyesight is lousy, not sure what the prescription is, but I am nearsighted, have been since grade school.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
Wasn't Ted Williams Chuck Yeagers wing man? Could you imagine those two coming after you?

Ted Williams claimed he could see the stitches (or was the seams?) on a fastball! He once insisted during a game that the line was off from home plate to first base. They finally measured it and he was right. It was off by 2 inches!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think with out glasses i was 20/400 or something i cant see anything with out em i say with maybe 20/30 but worst lately cause my glasses are pretty scratched im rough on glasses

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
My wife used to be legally blind. I saved up for a long time and got her that laser eye surgery several years ago and now she sees 20/20. I think that is the best thing I ever did for her. I am so happy that she does not have to wear those thick glasses anymore or get eye infections from contacts. That was done in 2001 and she has not had any problems at all. They said that her eyes would age naturally and that she may need reading glasses when she gets older just like everyone else.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was 20/10. I too was top shooter in a loosely knit state wide Law Enforcement controled combat league in the mid 70's for several years. Also shot NRA pistol for a while. I quit competitive shooting about '79. I attribute the success mostly to my vision, I could see both front and rear sights in focus and only the target was blurred. Thousands of rounds of practice and quick reactions also were a help then.

After 44 YOA I got glasses to see up close and I correct down to 20/10, most of the time the Dr. will only test to 20/15 but I can read the bottom line. Now at 55 I still have corrected 20/10 or 20/15 depending on who tests. I have a special pair of readers focused at the distance of the sights now.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Such a selfless act my friend :)

LifeNRA said:
My wife used to be legally blind. I saved up for a long time and got her that laser eye surgery several years ago and now she sees 20/20. I think that is the best thing I ever did for her. I am so happy that she does not have to wear those thick glasses anymore or get eye infections from contacts. That was done in 2001 and she has not had any problems at all. They said that her eyes would age naturally and that she may need reading glasses when she gets older just like everyone else.

rugbymatt

Enlightened
My eyesight is 20/20 and my age is 42. I had a great laser eye surgeon who was able to give me back my eyesight, I think of him everytime I go out on the rugby pitch. I had the laser surgery about 6 years ago and have had no problems since that time. I am so used to good eyesight now that I almost can't remember wearing eyeglasses and contacts, well almost can't remember. If you have good eyesight count your blessings it is a great thing. My union payed for my surgery, it only cost me 300 dollars out of pocket. They also picked up the tab for my wifes laser surgery. So for $600 total both my wife and I have 20/20 eyesight, I count myself a lucky man that we live in a world that can give you your eyesight back after a 2 minute procedure.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've worn glasses since about 8 years old. Last time at the eye doc, I got bi-focals.

At this point, I can see pretty good with the glasses at 4 feet or more. When reading however, one eye is not focused well.

Having not-so-great eyesight ain't all that good.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see like 20/80 in one eye and about 20/120 in the other. Needless to say I wear contacts.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive been somewhat artifically blinded by the wrong eye glasses the past 15 years. True I have a dislocated lens in one eye and wore thick lenses and heavy prescriptions, Ive been for the most part legally blind all my life.

At the worse with glasses 20/400 in my best eye, counting fingers at 10 feet with the worse one. Yes, they use fingers if you cant see the eye chart.

With supplements and correct eye glasses, 20/40 and 20/400. I can read the top letter of the eye chart with my worse eye. I asked the doc for MORE POWER, but it didnt work, did well for my other eye, but the lense was soo thick and difficult to grind its still being done as we speak today and should be ready the 18th of this month. There is only a 2% chance it will be done correctly. The lens is a cylinder off, but its pretty darn close.

Now, Ive used clues in life to make up for my loss, hearing, reflections, context clues, etc. I too was great at the rifle range. As long as the target paper is square, I didnt need to see the bulleye, I just aimed for the center of the square target paper, which ineffect was the center of the bulleye.

Starlight

Enlightened
I haven't been to an eye doctor in 30 years. My vision is still fine at 60. In high school, it was tested at 20/11.5. I have been both a pilot, and a competetive target shooter in the Navy. I guess good eyesight is essential to do both things well.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Got glasses in the fifth grade for nearsightedness. Been wearing contacts (hard type because of astigmatism) for about 25 years now. My distance vision has actually gotten better, but reading is getting harder. Left lens is for distance, right for closeup. That was weird at first, but you do adjust. I've stocked up on dollar store reading glasses to supplement. Getting old is a drag.

Geoff

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys with the great eyesight are really lucky. I used to see 20/200 non correctable in one eye and 20/20, 20/15 corrected in the other. The non correctable one was turned in as a child and although later cosmetically corrected via surgery, never regained the sight in the eye. But that was ok because I got along fine with the good eye and I guess never knew what I was missing. Now however my good eye is approximately only 20/40 corrected with an undiagnoxed problem but what they suspect is retina related. It's very frustrating to look at an object that you know how you should see it but you can't make your eyes do so anymore.

Anyhow....If all I had was regular correctable nearsightedness in both eyes, I would be the first one in line for LASIK surgery.