Recommend a 2C or 2-3D for me?

flashlife

Enlightened
Looking for a 2C 1 or 3 watt lux with good beam (throw, spill) and good runtime( 4hr +). Need C or D alkaline, no CR123's. Lastly need something locally available at a walk-in store.

Considering :
Task Force 2C 3 Watt, but runtime is only 2+ hr. (Lowes, $40)
Dorcy 3D 1 watt, but would like something smaller.(Lowes, $28)

Not considering:
Niteize D batt drop in (too dim, Target, $10)
Anything requiring Paypal (don't have it).

Any recommendations???

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gee, that's too bad. You might want to consider waiting to see how the Mags do once they get to market. The best 3C on the market right now for excellent output levels would probably be the LEDBeam 3C, but that's only available via mail-order from their web site.

If you have a police supply store nearby or a Streamlight dealer, you might want to consider the Propoly 3C, it has very good output, but you might have to pay full bore retail (about $60?), plus tax, if you buy it locally, whereas it's almost half that price at some web sites.

flashlife said:
Looking for a 2C 1 or 3 watt lux with good beam (throw, spill) and good runtime( 4hr +). Need C or D alkaline, no CR123's. Lastly need something locally available at a walk-in store.

Considering :
Task Force 2C 3 Watt, but runtime is only 2+ hr. (Lowes, $40)
Dorcy 3D 1 watt, but would like something smaller.(Lowes, $28)

Not considering:
Niteize D batt drop in (too dim, Target, $10)
Anything requiring Paypal (don't have it).

Any recommendations???

rider

Newly Enlightened
The Inova Radiant C sold at Target is a fairly nice light. It runs on 2-C cells. It's got a reasonable throw with a large hotspot and good spillbeam. The beam quality is very clean with no visible artifacts or donuts. I'm quite pleased with the light output, and the runtime is significantly more than 4 hours. Significant reduction in output seems to occur somewhere after the 4 hour mark. It's got a lanyard bar in the tail, rather than a clicky like the Radiant AAA and AA. The design is pretty basic- a plastic head cover, permanently attached to a one-piece body, with a plastic screw on end-cap, and an aluminum tube that slides into the plastic body, and contains the LED, electronics, and cells. Inova's tolerances are pretty impressive even on this cheaper light- the plastic body has tolerances under a few thousandths of an inch so that the aluminum insert can be inserted without stressing the plastic, but has absolutely no play within the shell.

Negatives: The switch, mounted on the body behind the head, can be a bit hard to find in the dark- I wish it were raised or indented, rather than being flush with the body, although the rubber cover is coarsely ridged. The design relies on a snap-on bezel to maintain pressure on the batteries, which might eventually become a weak spot after enough years or enough abuse. Inova's warranty would probably mostly negate this possible weakness. The "vents" in the plastic body might allow some air circulation, but the thin aluminum sleeve that contains the heart of the light certainly won't sink heat like some of the more expensive all-aluminum lights. The squarish shape makes it the ultimate anti-roll light.

Nevertheless, it seems pretty tough (it withstood a 15 foot fall onto concrete with only a minor scratch), has good light output, a good runtime, and is priced reasonably. I think Inova also supports it with a lifetime warranty like their more expensive lights.

I liked it enough that I've purchased several. I paid $30 at Target.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorcy 3D is a good light for throw, and the spill is usable. The enter spot is pretty small and well focused. I think it probably squeezes almost every inch of throw that it is possible to get out of a 1W. The spill is fairly dim, but OK for general area illumation up close. However, if you are looking for wide area spill to illuminate at medium distances, it's no good for that. The beam is basically just a tight bright center and dim sidespill. Runtime is very good. FlashlightReviews.com got 21hr to 50%. I use one every night at work, mostly short intermittent use, and one set of batteries lasted almost 6 months. Here's the review: http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/dorcy_luxeon3d.htm

mdocod

Flashaholic
I have the Taskforce 3W

If you adjust the LED a bit (it is mounted on a rotating die that can be screwed in and out a bit), it will get a fairly good hotspot... but most of it's beam is generated by a lense over the LED- resulting in a splotch of light, that has no significant spill beam at all... (no large circle of light).. It just makes this very nice splotch on the wall... If you want that spillbeam, then this is not the light you want...

having said that- I still love this light... The build quality is super. Extremally tough and the threads work so smooth it's amazing. It's also mildly regulated, so you get somewhat consistant output for the duration of it's runtime. This was my first LED light, and it amazed me. It's best use is in large rooms, or outdoors, where the beam has room to open up, the splotch of light is great for poking holes in the darkness out in the yard at night.

flashlife

Enlightened
Thanks, Guys!

I have the Inova 2AA, the Task Force 1 watt 3AAA, and the Dorcy Metal Gear. I love the beams of these, just need something with a little more OOMPH !

From Quickbeam's data (throw/overall=ratio):
Inova 2AA: 237/1400 = .6
Dorcy MGear: 1170/1750 = .66
Task Force 1watt: 1143/2700 = .42
These ratios of throw/output indicate to me that the light I want has a ratio of about .5...ie, half the total light in the hotspot.

The SL PP 3C has a ratio of 1.43...all hotspot !
Is that what you guys have observed?

The Task Force 3 Watt ratio is .94.

Don't have numbers for the Inova 2C..probably similar to the 2AA. ???

So final questions:
1. How does the Task Force 3watt beam compare to the TF 1 watt version?
2. How does the Inova 2C beam compare to the Dorcy Metal Gear?
3. Does the SL PP 3C have enough bright spill to be useful up close (3-4 ft)?

I'll find the "right" light yet !!

rider

Newly Enlightened
The Inova 2-C has a significantly larger and brighter spot than the 2-AA, while the spillbeam is a similar size and only moderately brighter. There might be more than half the total output in the hotspot, but the hotspot is also correspondingly larger than some of the other lights you've listed.

With Target's return policy, I'd recommend filling your shopping cart and doing a little testing to see what meets your needs.