Sell Surefire U2 to Buy Surefire A2

ront

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
First off, I am sorry if this is not the correct forum for this post. I am talking about an LED and an Incan light here so I was not sure where to post this. Mods, feel free to move this if there is a better place.
Ok, to my guestion. I have been here for a fairly short time, but I have purchaced a few nice lights. Please see my sig line. I have been reading up on the Surefire A2 and it sounds like a great light. I already have more lights than I can really use. The U2 that I already own is a great light. It is a newer one with the improved tail switch. The light level selector works very well. It has a very very slight doughnut, but unless I am shining against a white wall, I simply do not see it. The light is in brand new condition. Like I said, with all I have been reading about the A2, I think I would like one. WOuld I be really stupid to sell the U2 in order to purchace the A2?
I would apppreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks, Ron
P3173778_edited-1.jpg

Topper

Flashaholic*
If I could only have one or the other I would pick the A2.
I have used both and for me the A2 wins even though I am very big on Pila's
and the U2 can use them; on this one I have to go with the A2. Selling your U2 (bird in hand) to buy a A2?? Not sure how to respond to that.
You might be kind enough to wait till the LifeNRA Raffle is over :whistle:
I hope to win the U2 if I do not I might be interested in buying yours.
Topper :)

greenLED

Flashaholic
"Good" U2's seem to be hard to find these days (hopefully that'll change). On the other hand, you may be able to buy a light and a half for the price of a "good" U2 like yours.

What niche do you see the A2 fulfilling in your collection? Do you have other ("lesser"?) lights that would be replaced by the A2? When I decided to sell my Pelican M6, it was because my Pila GL3 took over all the instances where I would've used the M6. I miss my M6 from a sentimental point of view, but not from a utilitiarian perspective.

I've also started considering an A2 because I have been a long fan of "hybrid" headlamps, and the A2 seems to be a close hand-held cousin of those. I'm not 100% thrilled with the output of 3x5mm LED's, but I keep hearing good things about the incan beam and that's sparked my curiosity.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Topper ... :crackup: ... you crack me up! :p

ront ... nothing wrong with doing so, IMHO it is a matter of personal preference and "taste". Besides the obvious advantages of the U2 the A2 scores some very important points:
- size
- different beam angles with a nice low-flood and high-spot
- better color rendition
- instant high mode possible with this interface

BUT ... selling a good U2 ... even if it is to good old Topper :nana: ... I'd be very reluctant. After all, it is a very good light, and the A2 can be had for relatively cheap now ... :devil: ... gotta have both !

bernie

greenLED

Flashaholic
Topper said:
I hope to win the U2 if I do not I might be interested in buying yours.
You could've told me you wanted to see the U2; I would've just added your name to the passaround list. I'll be able to tell who donated the U2 for the passaround after the raffle is over, so you can thank him/her then. :)

Topper

Flashaholic*
Hi Bernie, it is good to laugh I crack myself up at times. I just figured if I do not win one odds are I will buy one.
Shoot everybody knows if you want a A2 clone just buy 2 Dorcy Led AAA's
and duct tape them to a G2, there you have it (even better). I know it kinda looks funny but I tend to use my lights in the dark.
Topper :)

ront

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response guys. It is kind of what I thought I would hear. Although my U2 is not perfect, it is IMHO pretty close.
greenLED, you always ask good thought provoking questions. Right now, the only incan light I have is the G2. The A2 would give me another incan light with the option of having a far less bright light when needed. I just hear so many satified people speaking of the A2.
I did just pick up a Pentagon L2 from EuroBeetle which seems to be a great light.
I really am not sure what to do. I really don't need all of these lights, and really can't afford to outright buy another one.

Thanks for your input, Ron

Somy Nex

Enlightened
if you have a good U2, i wouldn't sell it to get an A2. the lack of a rechargeable option in my A2 (which is the relatively tight bodied limited edition black) coupled with the 18650 options for the U2 means that the U2 is the first light i reach for in most cases. there's just something very liberating about guilt free lumens.

that said, i'd still save up for an A2, and as kiessling said, you can get one for a more reasonable price these days, whether it be from B/S/T or from some of our CPF Specials dealers.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would never sell a light just to "try out" another light. I would buy both and compare them in real usage and then make my decision. It's easy to sell the one you don't want on B/S/T. :)

dragoman

Enlightened
I love my A2, it is the best light I have so far...but I've never tried out a U2. Kinda leery with all the QC issues....

You won't lose if you get an A2 though....

dragoman