Killed a Lux V - what should I have done?

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Bought a WW0S Emitter for my U2, (Thanks Photon Fanatic!) hoped to swap it out and re-use my old emitter in some other projects.

I was warned that it would probably destroy my old emitter. Sure enough, separated the darn thing. Was this truly unavoidable or was there some way to get it off (Exacto blade?) without destroying it?

roguesw

Enlightened
twentysixtwo
was the emitter epoxied to the alumium bulkhead? this is news to me, as i thought surefire didnt use epoxy but rather thermal paste
if it was epoxied into place, its pretty much impossible to remove it, because of the small area, its hard to slip a exacto knife inbetween the emitter and the aluminium bulkhead.
i wonder why surefire is using thermal epoxy now...
btw, got any pics of the emitter and bulkhead?

Luna

Enlightened
GL in trying the separate the emitter from the sink on a u2 with an exacto. It is surrounded by a locating edge (opening for leads only) and epoxied. :(

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you carefully heat up the heat sink to 220-250 deg F or so, the epoxy will soften and you might be able to prise the Lux up without destroying it. Still a bit of a crapshoot though.

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
The emitter was definitely on with some sort of adhesive (thermal epoxy) though it wasn't a super strong adhesive - once I popped the shell off it wasn't too hard to get the remaining slug off.