Surefire L4, seriously hot!

jgdawes

Newly Enlightened
I just recieved my L4, very exciting. Having seen reviews I did expect it to get warm while on but warm would be an understatement. Is there any chance of damage to the LED if left on for a long period or is there a temperature sensor?

roguesw

Enlightened
jgdawes, yes the l4 is hot, this is the normal operating temperature for a luxeon V as it shows that the heat is properly removing the heat from the luxeon,
surefire's design takes into account using your hand as part of the heat dissipation system.
as long as you are holding the flashlight, the heat is being taken away from the flashlight.
of course heat shortens the lifespan of the luxeon, but you will not notice this, in fact, the luxeon will be old technology by the time it expires, i have used my KL4 almost everynight for the last 2 years and it shows no sign of aging
use it to its designed potential and always take comfort that new technologies are out there ready to surpass this.
such is the benefit of flashaholism
best regards
Des

greenLED

Flashaholic
jgdawes said:
Is there any chance of damage to the LED if left on for a long period or is there a temperature sensor?
Only if you left it continuously on for a looooooooong time. Most of us won't use it like that, so you don't need to worry. In the rare event that the L4's emitter dies, AF will replace it, no questions asked (well, maybe, "what's your address?").

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
sadly luxV's don't have as long of lives as LuxIII's.... So i'd keep your burning to a min.

SF doesn't know what a temp. sensor is :)