I need a "dim" light for nighttime. Ideas?

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Ok here's the deal. I currently use a Fenix L1P with the 10 ohm resistor for hi/lo. Even on low the light in the middle of the night is too bright. A keychain light running on coincells is too bright. I am looking for light output exactly like the Fenix L1P on low (sidespill light) without any hotspot or very, very diffused.

I have a Gerber Infinity Ultra but its way too bright. I have a few Target River Rocks but again, way too bright. And my Surefire U2 Ultra on LOW...LOL again... you get the picture.

So any ideas? Remember i want all spill and no spot. Almost like what a very low wattage nightlight would emit.

:popcorn:

acv

Newly Enlightened
Photon Freedom max - it can be dimmed to any output.

Adam

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon Microlight, Photon Freedom, Inova X1 (new version), maybe that new Everready Penlight Quickbeam just reviewed might e the perfect thing.

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cr2 ION has a great low setting, nice diffused floody beam with no hotspot.

LouRoy

Enlightened
I'll second the suggestion for the CR2 Ion. It has a very nice low and all flood.

Or the regular Infinity might work. It puts out much less light than the Ultra. And is considerably less expensive than the CR2 Ion.

Last edited:

rider

Newly Enlightened
CMG Infinity (old style with the black resistive coating on the + contact). It's so dim that you will be lucky to ever detect a hotspot. It's also "dimmable" to about 5 distinct levels of brightness. A few places that were selling this version last week now seem to be out, so I guess they're seeing a resurgance in popularity.

I personally find the new Inova X1 to be an excellent task light, although it's possible you'll find the hotspot too defined for your needs.

iNDiGLo

"the Precious..."
Thanks for all the replies. All seem to be valid options. I'll research and decide.

I hope i don't end up purchasing one of each. :whistle:

Not that its a BAD thing. Just a CPF thing...You kinda get sucked in and then "swooosh!"...your wallet gets attacked. :lolsign:

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stick a piece of scotch tape on some wax paper. Cut out a little circle the size of the glass on the end of your L1P. Carefully peel the tape off the wax paper, and stick it to the end of your L1P. That'll kill the hot spot, and make it all spill.

If it's still too bright, use a bigger resistor. :)

cslinger

Enlightened
Probably much too expensive of a suggestion but you do have a U2 so......

HDS EDC basic or ultimate 42 or 60.

The low on the basic models is just about perfect and if you pick up an ultimate you can set it to as low as you like. My ultimate 42 is set just a bit lower then the stock setting.

The HDS, especially with the new battery tubes is shaping up to be one of those, the last light you'll ever own, lights.

Between the HDS lights and a Surefire A2 I they will do 99.9% of anything you could ever need.

Chris

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheap: Safe-Light $12 or lower... 3 levels + a SOS strobe. Lowest is a find me mode with runtime of a year... medium is about like a HDS on lowest; dim, but bright enough with night adapted eyes. High; very bright for a 5mm LED (think ARC AAA)
Waterproof and very sturdy!

Expensive: HDS EDC any model... Very nice; well made and goes from very dim to extremly bright:)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Indiglo:)

You can use your Fenix at low setting and push a white plastic fastener of a drinkwater bottle on the head. Some of them will be exactly fit.
It's a warm light with a very good side spill and no hotspot.

Best regards

____
Tom

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
iNDiGLo said:
Ok here's the deal. I currently use a Fenix L1P with the 10 ohm resistor for hi/lo. Even on low the light in the middle of the night is too bright. A keychain light running on coincells is too bright. I am looking for light output exactly like the Fenix L1P on low (sidespill light) without any hotspot or very, very diffused.

I have a Gerber Infinity Ultra but its way too bright. I have a few Target River Rocks but again, way too bright. And my Surefire U2 Ultra on LOW...LOL again... you get the picture.

So any ideas? Remember i want all spill and no spot. Almost like what a very low wattage nightlight would emit.

:popcorn:

X-Light Micro with a Single CR2032 Battery will last LONG and will have Enough brightness to do things with Night Adapted Eyes, especially when you tune it down.

for around $10 .. it is a great light.

Red

Newly Enlightened
Get a minimag and remove the reflector.
Put in a weak sandwich, like a Madmax Lite 400.
This will produce an intensity a little brighter than what you want,
but it will be close.
If you put in an SMJLED, the intensity will be a little dimmer than what you want.
With the reflector gone, you will need a tailcap switch like the Kroll.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really cheapest: Use almost dead batteries in your Infinity. I have one in mine and it is really dim, but plenty to walk around the dark house.

Cheap: Also low battery in the new Inova X1. Mine is bright with a fresh battery. Streamlight Tasklight 1AA - has a low level with 80 hour (claimed) run time.

Moderate: Eternalight low settings, Peak Matterhorn 1LED

Expensive: WitsEnd VB-16

More Expensive: FireFly3.

HDS hotspot is tight like the L1P though it is very low on lowest setting.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I recently modded a mini-m#g to be a nightlight by using an LED rescued from a damaged coin-cell keychain light. It was extremely bright when driven by 6v but very very dim on the 2xAA's. A few minutes are required to drill out the hole in the reflector to a larger diameter. I carefully used a tapered reamer that I bought years ago at Radio Shack.

C4LED

Enlightened
1. Infinity Task Light (Non-Ultra) would be perfect--there are still some to be found online.

2. Pal Light on low setting.

DFiorentino

Flashlight Enthusiast
iNDiGLo said:
A keychain light running on coincells is too bright.

Why not try to either "frost" the LED dome with some super fine (1500+) grit sandapaper or replacing the LED with a lower power version...or both? REAL cheap to do :naughty: . Heck I have so many extra keychain lights, I can try it out and take some beamshot comparisons. If you like it I can send you one for free.

Just a though. :)

-DF

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a 2AAA minimag and an amber Photon or clone. Drill out the reflector and put the amber led in as a replacement for the bulb. I did this and it is perfect for a wander around the house at night light. Runtime is quite good also.