New Inova X5?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand that there's a new X5 using the new Nichia-CS leds. But when I went to Target store to purchase one, I could't tell the difference between it and my current X5. So I left it. It is the packaging?

chiphead

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
chiphead wrote: "I understand that there's a new X5 using the new Nichia-CS leds. But when I went to Target store to purchase one, I could't tell the difference between it and my current X5. So I left it. It is the packaging?"

If your Inova X5 seems comparable in brightness to the ones in Target - it would seem you may already have an X5 that has the Nichia CS -
as the newer X5's are noticably brighter than any previous version.

Do you remember when you got your Inova X5, please?

A few points - the Nichia CS was not announced until about March/2005 -
so any Inova X5 before that date is probably UNlikely to be the Nichia CS.

Please see this review thread for lots of CPF discussion -

Inova X5 (white)

veleno

Enlightened
I have bought mine in June 2004, so I suppose it's the old model... mine has the stainless steel ring on the bottom of the tailcap without engraving...

Where can I buy the new model with Nichia CS leds? Anywhere on Ebay?

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buying off Ebay you definitly run the risk of getting an older version I would say. Buying from Target the chances are good you will get a new version as they have a much higher inventory turnover, remember X5s were on a great sale only a few months ago and they most likely sold a ton of them.

The only sure way I have heard to make sure the one you buy is the new one is the method unkownVT outlined which is to buy one with a lanyard instead of the sheath, other than that they are identical from my understanding.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnknownVT said:
chiphead wrote: "I understand that there's a new X5 using the new Nichia-CS leds. But when I went to Target store to purchase one, I could't tell the difference between it and my current X5. So I left it. It is the packaging?"

If your Inova X5 seems comparable in brightness to the ones in Target - it would seem you may already have an X5 that has the Nichia CS -
as the newer X5's are noticably brighter than any previous version.

Do you remember when you got your Inova X5, please?

A few points - the Nichia CS was not announced until about March/2005 -
so any Inova X5 before that date is probably UNlikely to be the Nichia CS.

Please see this review thread for lots of CPF discussion -

Inova X5 (white)
I picked it up Frys 11/11/2005, so I'm pretty sure that this is an older model.

chiphead

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
After looking that image on FlashlightReview.com, I see that the tail cap of the new model is engraved with the company name. That's all I've got to go on. Inova is not helping their cause at all!

chiphead

veleno

Enlightened
So, has only the new X5 the engraving on the stainless steel ring of the tailcap?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
chiphead wrote: "I picked it up Frys 11/11/2005, so I'm pretty sure that this is an older model."

Au contrair...... :D
Going by what you have said -
it would seem more likely that you do have the newer Invoa X5 with the Nichia CS......

1) you think yours is as bright as the ones in Target -
they have quick/high turnover so most are likely to be Nichia CS -
you can double check to be sure - compare again - this time do more than one and look for X5's with the lanyard.
If yours is not Nichia CS - it should be pretty obviously dimmer.

2) bought 11/11/2005 - from Frys - this is some 8 months AFTER we first read about the Nichia CS - Frys again seems to have pretty high/quick turnover.

rider

Newly Enlightened
chiphead said:
After looking that image on FlashlightReview.com, I see that the tail cap of the new model is engraved with the company name. That's all I've got to go on. Inova is not helping their cause at all!

Actually, it's the other way around. The older X5T had grooving on the tailcap rather than knurling, and had "Emissive Energy" laser-engraved on the metal ring on the tailcap. That is what's pictured on FLR. The current X5 has knurling on the tailcap, and Emissive Energy molded into the rubber dome over the tailcap switch, just like the X1s, etc.

veleno

Enlightened
rider said:
Actually, it's the other way around. The older X5T had grooving on the tailcap rather than knurling, and had "Emissive Energy" laser-engraved on the metal ring on the tailcap.

Are you speaking of the octagonal model? As I said mine (bought in June 2004) has no engraving on the metal ring on the tailcap...

That is what's pictured on FLR.

Is not the new version? I thought there were new photos with the updated.

I'm a little confused...

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
veleno wrote: "Is not the new version? I thought there were new photos with the updated."

FlashlightReviews has updated most of the photos -
with seemingly the one exception of the tailcap end -
as can be seen it's the silver/titanium colored model -
which is the older X5T Quickbeam/Doug originally reviewed.

This is the tailcap of mine - bought April/2006 and reviewed in this thread -

Inova X5 (white)
InovaX5TailCap.jpg

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
veleno wrote: "Thanks for these new photos. My X5 (June 2004) is identical."

I think Inova X5 (octagonal body) has been this way for some time now.

Since the external cosmetics are the same -
there is no way to tell if the X5's have the newer/brighter Nichia CS LEDs except for the actual beam -
the newer/brighter X5's are about the same brightness as a good 1watt Luxeon -
the older versions are probably only half that brightness - so it should be pretty obvious......

Date of purchase probably helps too - in a sort of broad-brush way -
pre-Summer 2005 - are likely to be the older versions.

However there is no guarantee that a post-autumn 2005 is absolutely going to be the brighter version - as there is very much the possibility of older stock....

Best way to check is by brightness.....

and if one really has a pre-spring 2005 X5 that is as bright as the ones in Target now (with lanyard) and/or 1watt Luxeons....
then you shouldn't really care if it is Nichia CS or not -
basically the light is already bright right?

JML

Enlightened
The tailcap on mine is not engraved, and it's the newest one.

In the store, the OLD X5 and the new X1 (the AA model) are about the same brightness (different pattern). But the NEW X5 is twice as bright as either. It's very noticeable.

veleno

Enlightened
If somebody is interested I have found three ebay sellers (2 USA + 1 UK) who have the new version with lanyard included in the box.