Only one LED light

B737Driver

Newly Enlightened
I currently own 3 lights, all incans. (SF A2, SF G2, and a SF E1e). I want to add a really nice LED light to my little herd. So here is my hypothetical question for all of you:

If you could have ONLY ONE LED light in your collection, which would it be? And a brief why?

Looking for a good all-around light (since "I can have only one") at a maximum price in the neighborhood of $150.00. 1 or 2 cell CR123s prefered.

Thanks a lot,

B737Driver

Last edited:

TENNlumens

Newly Enlightened
Surefire L4.

Excellent output, great beam quality, and good color.
All in the portable E2-type body size.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could have only one?
HDS Ultimate 60 with 1xCR123A, 2xCR123A and 2AA bodies. Mix and match the bodies for my needs at the particlar time. Normally, it would run an RCR123 lithium-ion rechargable in the 1xCR123A body. If I need longer runtimes, the 2xCR123A body would be used. Go on one of my trips and 2AA with Sanyo 2700mAH NiMH will be the food of choice. Multiple output levels for brightness/runtime. Not sure if the U60 makes it below $150 or not.
If it can't, my Fire~Fly III running RCR123 lithium-ion cell or CR123A lithiums in a pinch or when power is not available. 20 programmable levels to fit my needs, low/high and max selectable levels, it fits on my keychain, stands on end, has user selectable interfaces, twistie switch for reliability and it costs $120. ($130 with charger and RCR123 battery)

vtunderground

Enlightened
My favorite 'general purpose' LED light is the Pelican M6 LED Lux-III. You should be able to find it for $80-100. It has a bright, useful beam, great regulation, respectable runtime, and is backed up by Pelican's great reputation and warranty. Also, it accepts 17670 Li-Ion rechargeable batteries :)

Or, the Surefire L4.

You really can't go wrong either way.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old style Inova X0, new style being the one coming out soon with the flared head like the X03.

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
Another contender ,Lion Cub ,mine was less than your budget or chamileion,(light hound sells them$180 )both have mulltiple brightness levels, different user interfaces,mometary on,great beam,very white.Runs on r123.small pocketable or holester.Long runtimes on low.Very well made,looks great! Auto off functions lock out modes. Side button.Very versitle.

wwglen

Enlightened
I would have to keep my

FENIX L1P with 2-Stage tail cap mod.

The NEW L1T about to come out will probably up it one.

Around $40.

wwglen

cslinger

Enlightened
HDS EDC Basic 60 or Basic 60LE. Quite possibly the best lights I have ever owned. Between the A2 and EDCs I really don't use anything else.

zulu45

Enlightened
If it's out of the lights I have now, it would probably be my Fenix L2P. I'm totally hooked on this thing. If it doesn't have to be an LED light, though, it would be my Surefire 6P. I've used this to help defend my home before, and it didn't let me down. I wouldn't part with it, ever. As for lights that exist, but that I don't own, assuming I don't have to pay for it (while I like it, I don't think it's worth the price), it would be the HDS http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/heliotek_hte-1rev2.htmEDC Ultimate 60 XR. Of course, if anybody would like to buy this for me, to where I can test this theory... feel free to do so.

:lolsign:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
SF U2 or McLuxIII-PD, depending on size and brightness requirements.

Both a re highest quality tools with an easy interface and multiple brightness modes without additional fuzz. Perfect general illumination tools that offer a bright corona, too, which makes the beam so very useful up to medium distances, especially for the U2. Low modes are great that way, too.

bk

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
My favorite light is the ARC 4x. The ARC 4 is not available, but the HDS EDC is basicly the newer version. It takes care of most of my flashlight needs.

I also use the pocket clip to clip it to the bill of my ball cap for use as a temperary headlamp. It does not replace a headlamp because it is heavy enough that it pulls my cap down and must be repositioned ever few minutes. It is still useful because I don't usually carry a headlamp, but I always have my ARC 4x on me.

Clipping my light to a ball cap is not my only use for the ARC 4, it's just one use that is less obvious and some lights can't be used this way.

I plan to get the HDS EDC U85GT when it's available. I don't know if the HDS will replace my ARC 4x, but I think it will.

If you want a one cell light carried bezel down the McLux PD would be a great chioce. It can not be used as a headlamp because of the bezel down pocket clip.
Other lights to chose from are:

Surefire L2, The low beam is brighter than the low beam of the Surefire L4 with a two stage tail cap. The low beam is regulated and runs for something like 8 to 10 hours before it drops out of regulation. This is a great light, but think of the low beam as the main beam.

Surefire L4, Shorter than the L2 if size is a factor and runs great on Pila rechargeable cells.

TW4 aka E1E/KL4, If the ARC 4 and HDS didn't exist I would use a TW4 with a rechargeable 123 as my main EDC. The R123 can run the TW4 in regulation for the full brightness benifit, but the runtime is only about 20 minutes. It can be used as a headlamp.

The L2, L4 and TW4 have flood beams which I find very useful for my daily needs.

The L5, L7 and U2 have similar beams. These beams have been described as a cone of light. These lights have a tighter beam than the L2 & L4.

The U2 would be included in my list except for the cost limit you imposed. The Surefire U2 was invented as a general purpose light.

The Surefire L5 is low on my list because of size, but it doesn't get hot like the L4 if that matters. The L5 and U2 are about the same size. It is a really nice light and the beam is tighter than the L2 & L4.

The L6 has a tighter beam than the other Surefire 5 watt lights, but it is still a close to medium range light. The L6 would only be on my list if it were to be carried in a bag. The L6 has the nicest beam of all the 5 watt Surefire lights.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the lights I *will* own (waiting for it to arrive), I will keep my Jetbeam Jet1 with the 2-stage switch coming sometime this month. Initial testing by CPF members shows it has higher output on max than a Gladius on burst. Low can be used for battery conservation. With the optional 123A and 2AA tubes, it can run Alkaline AA, Li AA, NiMH AA, 14500, Alkaline AAA, NiMH AAA, CR123A, R123A, CR2 (might need a spacer), RCR2 (might need spacer), and 2AA (any type), so as long as I have the tubes with me, I have a multitude of battery options. The only bad thing is that the low option would only be available with the AA or AAA sized batteries.

For lights I don't own, the HDS lights (any) offer the same usability with various battery types while keeping the output options for all battery types...however, an HDS B/U60 is 2-3x the price. Tho, I'm not very fond of the aesthetics of the HDS (pretty ugly IMO), but it's usability and flexibility is nice.

Illum

Flashaholic
INOVA XO3

I own an XO old style and very pleased with it...4 hours of regulated output, HA III, Around 28.6 Lumens +/- 17%

A good every day light, forever INOVA light fan, Forever Surefire battery fan

cbxer55

Enlightened
Surefire U2. It is the only light I carry everyday. Sometimes I will pocket a second light, but I always have the U2. It has not let me down yet.

Last edited:

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of what I own, HDS U60GT, don't leave home without it! Of what I've read and what I want, McLuxIII PD......soon.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the HDS EDC. Will do most things you need a flashlight for and fits well with your current incan lineup.

If the price wasn't an issue I might recommend a U2 instead, but it is too expensive for your limit and your A2 and HDS will do more or less everything a U2 does. Except run on the very cheap high capacity 18650 Li-ions (In the HDS case you can buy a 18650 tube, but that is expensive and makes the light larger..)
The U2 is more impressive outside than a HDS, but I think the HDS better supplements your current lineup. If I could only keep one of my lights I'd keep the U2 (and cry over the HDS and the others ;) )

Sverre

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that regardless of your choice, you should definately get a light with variable output. To me, this is one of the primary benefits of LED lights and I find that the variable output capability of my lights is particulary pleasing to me for many reasons.

Outside of your initial price range would be the Surefire U2; it is a fine light with an awesome beam for most all lighting requirements.

W/in your price range or very close at lease would be the Surefire L2. The usefulness of this light for most tasks is fantastic. In my opinion, the usefulness of this light is out to around 80' as after that, the floodiness of the beam seems to loose it's punch. Additionally, the beam shape causes it to not be very impressive if there is sufficient ambient lighting to wash out the beam.

I do not own the HDS Lights, but from what I have read, everything points to this light as the one that should be owned if only one could be owned. I prefer the output of the 5 watt Luxeon LED's but cannot argue with the performance of the 3 wall Luxeon LED's used in the HDS lights. I have been wanting one badly lately but I have also been wanting a Surefire A2. The A2 is available in stores around me so it will likely be my next purchase.

-Goatee