new gen Kl3 opionions please!

Flakey

Enlightened
Ok so, i have this idea of the perfect light in my head. It starts with a C3 body because of all of the lights that i have held thus far, including M series lights, i find that the legnth and square body AND the grip ring of the c3 fits my hand the best. now on the body i want a new gen Kl3 head. and on that Kl3 i will have a beamshaper because the idea of a TIR with great throw for far and beamshape for close in work, and 3 batteries for solid regulation and runtime. ..... the more i think about it the more i want it. now i already have the c3 body, and an fm64 beamshaper that hangs out on my u2 .... i am assuming that the fm64 will fit on the kl3 ... is this correct? also i would love hearing about the throw of the head. Does the Kl3 throw equally to the 105L p90 lamp assembly? i understand that the light will have less spillbeam and a much tighter corona, but that is exactly what i want! the idea here is efficiency! Any help i can get would be much appriciated! Tell me what it out-throws and how much totall light is produced compared to other common lights. how about the p60? comparable in total output but with more throw and runtime? .... I know its only like $65 for one but damnit we are talking about the light of ... whell not my dreams ... but ceritnly DAYdreams! Thx ... oh and where is the cheapest place to get new gen HA nautural kl3s? on optics HQ i only see the old spiney looking one. again .... anyhelp that i could get in this decision would be very much appriciated! sorry bout the long post ... =)

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the FM64 and old style F70 (simpler design) will fit the KL3 gen II.

It is not an extremely high output light, around 30 lumens or so approx, but the killer optic collimates it into a good thrower and blinder. It only runs at around 220ma current draw on the batts, that's why it can last about 3-4 hours.

It does not outthrow the P90, or even the P60 for that matter, but because it has no spillbeam, and you are not 'distracted' by the ambient light, you might think that the spot goes further than the P60/P90s.

P60 is definitely brighter (with better color rendition, being incan) than the KL3 (although by figures it is around double, but the human eye sees less difference), but of course the latter has killer runtime and all the benefits of the LED (shockproof, long life etc....). 30+ lumens is usually enough for most situations, and the beamshaper makes it more versatile.

Which is the 'spiney' one? The KL3 gen I? Maybe you can drop OpticsHQ a line to confirm which model they have. If its the gen II, there's the tapered neck (older) and the straight neck one.

BBL

Enlightened
The newest KL3 arent such throwers anymore. The beam ist quite similar to the KL1's, just round.

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
I agree, the newest ones with the fresnel rings only has throw of the HDS U60 on level 1. Despite of this the beam is much more useful. It's a small trade off.

Lumatic

Newly Enlightened
It's only $59.99 at http://www.lighthound.com/sales/surefire_flashlight_led_heads.htm
poke2.gif

BrianChan

Newly Enlightened
Yup, it's not that expensive. Go get it! The latest version from lighthound really is much more useful then the first ones that came out. I'm pretty sure you would like it :)

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
According To FlashlightReviews, The New KL3 Has lots of Throw it has "53" The Older Module Had "21" The Inova T3 has "45" So the New SureFire KL3 should throw Superbly

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Different tools for different tasks (reference the Gen II vs Gen III - [w/Fresnel rings].

I really like the Gen IIs! I've got beamfilters on them, when I need throw - they come off - but they seem to be the best of both worlds to me. I've not seen the ones with the Fresnel rings - sounds like I don't need to for my needs.

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
skalomax said:
According To FlashlightReviews, The New KL3 Has lots of Throw it has "53" The Older Module Had "21" The Inova T3 has "45" So the New SureFire KL3 should throw Superbly
That's certainly consistent with my experience. My Gen II KL3 throws much further than my Gen I did.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
I called OpticsHQ this week asking about the KL-3 head pictured and was told that the ones they have in stock are the newer ones as pictured on the Surefire and Lighthound sites. I want to use one on my 6P and 9P.

Ging

Newly Enlightened
Quick question, will a KL3 on a G2/6P be bright enough to bind someone? It only has 30 lumens but does the TIR help?

nzgunnie

Enlightened
They are not particularly blinding. I have a new (with fresnal) KL3 and it's too bright to look at from a few feet away, but I wouldn't call it blinding....

But then if you want to blind someone, a bic pen would do a more reliable job, after all, flashlights are designed for seeing in the dark, not as weapons.

city cop

Newly Enlightened
I just got the new KL3, mounted on my Z2 body ! It thows as good as my T4 and has much better spill over. I'm not a big spec guy, but this head is better then most of my 65 lum rated lights. :goodjob: Surefire.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recieved the new KL3 head and bunged it on my C2 body inplace of the G&P 3W drop in - Much better tint, far whiter (Someone asked me the other day why I had a Blue filter on my torch when I was using the G&P 3W!!!) and seems much brighter and throwy than the drop in. Big head though, but I like that! Haven't tried it in the dark yet but give it ten hours and I will.

Now my C2 looks and feels like a serious piece of technology!:grin2:

Incidentally, recently asked a police officer here in London (Guarding the entrance to the Chinese Embassy) what torch he was issued with-and he pulls out his battered SF Z2- he obviously liked it a lot! Saying that it was standard issue - amongst others - I didn't press him for details but it was nice to meet somebody else in the flesh who owned a Surefire. They're quite rare over here it seems. :dedhorse:

Size15's

Flashaholic
In my experience UK Police Officers (even the Armed ones) are not issued SureFires, perhaps it was a option for him in his particular role?
Was it a Z2 or 6Z?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have been over this topic many times in the past. Basically the Kl3 rocks.

It is a great head. For the cost of a few p-60 globes you can own one of these.
Well worth the cost.
Enjoy.
Yaesumofo

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
the kl3 is absolutely awsome. I have some beamshots on my sig line, but i will ATTEMPT to take some long range beamshots tonight VS p60 and p61.

-David

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's said:
In my experience UK Police Officers (even the Armed ones) are not issued SureFires, perhaps it was a option for him in his particular role?
Was it a Z2 or 6Z?

A fairly battered Z2. I'm glad he responded to my 'Hello, is that a Surefire?' with open freindliness and interest. I'm only sorry I didn't have my C2 with KL3 combo with me at the time. He was,as a matter of fact, heavily armed with an automatic rifle thingy and a holstered sidearm (and baton,CS,cuffs - you get the picture). Overall,better prepared for his job than the last Constable I had seen using a yellow 2C Maglight!!!

I'm thankful they've got good kit in these uncertain times!

PS - the KL3 at night was awesome - similar beam to my INOVA T1 but way more power!!! - I suggest you buy as many as you can!!! I know I will.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the all throw variant. I really like it. Between 3-50 meters it is a very effective light IMHO. I also have the FM64 beam shaper which is very useful albeit hideous to look at. Mine is mounted on a 3 cell tube. It gets the spent cells from my 9P and runs about an hour in regulation on the "leftovers."

Get one! I don't think you will be disapointed. I don't have one with the fresnel rings but I do like the one I have.