Tritium vial removal..??

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I could not find much info on a search so I will ask this here as I also could not best figure out where to put this question.

I am ordering a new style body for my old style RAW internals. I did not think to include a spare tritium vial as I already have one on my old body. I am wondering if anyone has been able to safely remove one of these vials and transplant it to another body.

I know the vial is glass however it seems to be too fragile to force loose. I have used the supplied epoxy when installing it and I am not sure if it is even possible to remove it from the old body. Would there be any type of chemical I could safely use or maybe even heating body to soften the epoxy? I really do not know how strong the epoxy is that was supplied by ORB when I ordered these vials. All I can remember is that it was a 2 part epoxy that I had to mix together....any ideas would be appreciated.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I removed some GID+wpoxy mix from the bezel and body of my Pila GL3 by boiling the parts for a while and then prodding the epoxy with a toothpick. The mix came right off. The epoxy I used was clear 2-ton (I forget the fancy brand-name, it wasn't "generic").

From my day of cleaning epoxy off Arc pills... make sure to work with hot epoxy only. The stuff cools fairly quickly and that's when things go "crack". :(

Hope that helps.

Robocop

I assume that since the rear tail section has no other electonic parts it will be easy to heat it by boiling it. I also hope that the sealed glass vial should not be harmed by boiling however I do not know how the tritium will react to boiling. I hate to waste this vial on the older style body as I really do like the new style.

I think I will try boiling it slowly and gently prodding with a toothpick to see if I get any movement. Any idea if the heat will effect the brightness or the lifespan of the tritium itself?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello :)

If your tritiums are swiss-made, the glas is saphire-glas.

This is more reliable than normal glas. But don't work with any metal on it.

The boiling heat will not be a problem for the radioactive process.

But don't use a open flame on it.

You can try to use "Aceton" thats the word in German.( I hope it's the same word in english) Aceton will destroy the most of 2 component glues.

The statement above was telling me from a co-worker of the manufacturer.

Best regards

____
Tom

Robocop

Ok problem solved....

I have decided to simply purchase another vial as I really do not think any Orb light is complete without the tritium. It does add a classy touch and the original RAW body is nice with the green tritium so I would hate to mess it up.

One day the original body will be highly prized I believe as it was the one that started it all so I have decided to leave my original as is. I have a total of 3 Orb lights now and they all never cease to amaze me...Rob does make some nice lights.