New Chameleon...woot! But, batteries...

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
I received a new Chemeleon from Lighthound (thanks!) yesterday.
It's a cool little light, with many configuration options. I must say I'm pretty new to the world of CR123s, and I was scared my light was broken when I popped in a brand new BatteryStation 123 primary and only the lowest two light levels would work. I set the light to CT3, not knowing what it came at from lighthound, and still only levels 1 and 2 (and maybe 3, I forgot). I tried another new BS 123 primary, same thing. So, I popped my new RCRs on the charger and waited overnight.

I got the RCR/charger kit that HDS sells (via lighthound). I hope it's a pretty good kit. I had the charger on a timer so its power was cut off after 3 hours, since I had gone to bed. Having read scary things about RCRs, I did not want them on a powered charger unattended all night.

Anyhow, this morning I popped in a charged RCR and finally was able to get all 5 levels. Wheeeew, no broken light!

I have not tried these BS primaries in any other lights. I guess the reason I'm writing all this is to ask if it's more likely that the Chameleon has "special" needs not met by the BS primaries in order to show all light levels at less-than-max CTs, or do I maybe have bad batteries? I just got them from BS about a week ago - I had bought some Pelican cases full of batteries.

Thanks! I continue to find this forum a helpful source of information (and entertainment). Shine on...

nethiker

Enlightened
While I'm sure you will get a more inteligent answer than I'm able to give, I'll chime in to say that your batteries are most likely fine. There are lights that are made specifically to take advantage of the properties of rechargable batteries. You can use primaries in a pinch, but as you see, performance suffers considerably.

Welcome to CPF.

changsn

Newly Enlightened
The Chameleon requires a lot of current and primaries will do exactly what you experienced. Only use primaries if you haven't a choice. Rechargeables actually also struggle to provide enough current at the highest table settings from what I've read. There are lots of posts on this...you may want to wander over to the Flashlight Forum for more info.

Sam

Paul6ppc

Enlightened
That light is designed to run on rcr123 which are 3.7 v vs a primary that is only 3v.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Chameleon is one of the unusual lights that CANNOT take primary cells.. well, cannot meaning you won't get full output out of it. You need rechargeables.

CT1 is the recommended way to run primaries, it runs from ~20mA to 350mA and it is adequately bright.

Oh, and even rechargeables don't last tremendously long if you are driving CT4 or CT5 at full blast. I ran some runtime tests at CT4, Level 5, and you are basically looking at 10 minutes of juice before the cells quit on you. It's one light that you really need to knock down from maximum power to get reasonable runtime. Not to say that's a bad thing - it's the equivalent of providing an 'afterburner' setting on the throttle for all those moments where you REALLY need all the light you can get, at whatever cost it may take.

.. it's just that itchy fingered folks like me can't leave Level 5 well enough alone and thus find ourselves wishing for the belt-feed-R123 attachment for the Chameleon :D

Oh, and one caution. CT5, Level 5 dangerously overdrives the switcher chip too. By the time the switcher goes into automatic thermal shutdown you have already run the risk of causing severe damage. So you've been warned.. CT4/Level5 (1000mA) can be considered 'afterburner' and CT5/Level5 (1200mA) may rightly be considered 'point of no return' :naughty: :sold:

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having never seen a Chameleon....what type switch does it have? Thanks!

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chameleon with all the options when it first came out. Large Head, Slim Head, Slim Battery Tube, (123 Battery), Large Battery Tube (Stock, 123 Battery), Lanyard Clip, and Pocket Clip.

dsc01742small1kv.jpg

Chameleon uses side switch.

dsc01796small5sr.jpg

Optional 150A Flared Battery Tube Built by Otokoyama.

dsc02179small1oy.jpg

Optional 168 Straight Battery Tube built by Otokoyama.

dsc02180small5fb.jpg

Large Head installed. Top, Chameleon. Bottom, Lion Cub

dsc01749small3zj.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Light Hound has them in stock. http://www.lighthound.com/sales/mr_bulk_chameleon.htm

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have two Chameleons, one sporting a 168A battery tube and standard head, the other the standard CR123 body with flaired tail and standard head. I have been keeping up on the info on the Chameleon, and it is now deemed safe to use CT 5/5 for extended periods of time, even with 168A, 18650 cells. It is cautioned that one should never replace the led with anything higher than an H vf when using CT 5/5.

Bill