SF 9p vs SF C3

batman

Enlightened
Greetings everyone. I'm a newcomer to the board but have been reading up like crazy on tactical flashlights in the last few days.
My only highpower flashlight is that Brinkman maxfire lx that i got for my birthday. I guess that's why I'm getting interested more in tactical flashlights.
The Surefire 9p is a light that seems to be very good lumen output for the price,..80 dollars but 105/200 Lumens! Why aren't more people seeming to be interested in it? I was thinking about the A2 but for the price,..I can't get my eyes off that 9p. I guess my exact question is if anyone can rate their experienced opinion of the 9p light vs the more expensive SF C3 Centurion as well. Hell if I get some overtime in on this next paycheck I may just get an A2 instead. Thanks for all comments, advice and ideas.
(Ps. Brinkman Maxfire can really reach out and touch someone. I used it once as an urban mini-spotlight while searching for a lost friend of mine's car. I felt like a God with it's power.)

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The C2 is available in a hard anodized finish (the 9P is not), and the C2 has that tacticool rubber ring around the body, which I find to be very ergonomic.

Personally my current fave light is a C2 body with a KT-1 Turbohead. I assembled it as a Dad's Day gift but I may well end up building one for myself too.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome To CPF!

The Brinkmann LX is an excellent light, especially for the price.

The SF 9P and C3 will put out the same amount of light with the same runtimes. A question of form and style. The C3 has a HA III finish. The 9P is type II making it slightly less durable. The C3 is designed to accompany a handgun in use. The C3 has a clip.

My preference is the C3, but then there is that price difference. The A2 is more of an addition to the above choices, IMO, and not a direct replacement. The A2 will not have the incandescent output of the 3 cell lights with the HOLA.

Mark.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also was considering both the 9P and C3. I ended up with the 9P. Why? Price.
Comparing MSRP's, the C3 in HAIII costs $60 more. This is enough to buy 4 rechargable batteries and charger (Pila or AW's) or enough to almost buy second 9P or add a P91 bulb and 35 batteries CR123 batteries.
I have been using several of my Surefire 6P's since the mid-eighties at work. Thats twenty years! They do show worn areas (character markings!) but the regular Type II finish holds up just fine.

Of course if you just like the feel, look and knowledge that your light has the best of everything and you see it as a thing of beauty then that would be more than enough of a reason to pay the premium.
If you really want the clip, LAPolicegear.com is clearing out the old model D3 which is just a 9P with a clip for $69. Gotta act quick on those though, when they gone there will be no more.

Last edited:

Flakey

Enlightened
my first real light was a C3 and it is a great light, in my opinion thousands of times better than the P series because of the grip alone. To date i havent found a flashlight body that fills my hand better, or stays put as well as the c3. ALL that being said, if i had to start all over again ....... here it comes ..... I would buy an A2 Aviator. I dont even have one, but done enough playing around to know whats what, once you get your bright, c3 or 9p your going to realize that realisticly its brighter than you need more than 1/2 of the time. And those little floody led's fill the bill in so many different situations. I have a U2 with an 18650 and i love it but even i am tempted by the A2 every now an again.............

in the history of man i dont think anyone has purchased an A2 and not liked it =P

batman

Enlightened
Awesome!! Thanks for the replies. I've narrowed my choice down to the A-2 or 9P now, as the main difference between the C3 and 9P is it's urgonomics. I'm just a city kid that likes to spotlight the night from time to time and once every year or so I go cave spelunking. Hopefully bye the time I have an A-2,9P,M6 and of course my disposable brinkman my collection will be complete, as this could turn into an expensive hobby. (but a really fun one:)

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
While I like both the 9P and C3 if you're going to try to get by with three lights may I recommend the A2, L2, M6. I also recommend the ARC AAA and the HDS EDC.

I think you would be very happy with any of these lights. That includes the 9P and the C3.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The D3 is/was standard type II anodised black.
It is.was not Hard Anodised (type III) black.

Also, the D3 in the photo does not appear to have a Pyrex (glass) window because it appears to lack the retaining ring which means it has a snap-fit Lexan (polycarbonate) window.

Certainly with it's PocketClip I consider the D3 to be a more useful flashlight than the 9P for most activities.

Al

dragoman

Enlightened
As the owner of both an A2 and a 9P, I would buy the A2 first.

Reason is that it is more useful. The regulated incandescent is the most useful feature (imho) that can be put into a flashlight. The only reason LEDs are so popular is that they are regulated. Direct driven LEDs get dim quick.....and stay getting dimmer and dimmer.

Regulation changes this. See my thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/115467

you can see the A2 is just as bright or brighter as your Maxfire (I have one too) to start with, but it MAINTAINS that brightness for the usable length of the batteries.

Plus, once the incan is not driveable, you have these LEDs to find new batteries with.

The 9P is very nice for a bright light, but at 105 lumens it is only about a 1/3 brighter than the A2.

Buy the A2, you won't be disappointed.

dragoman

P.S. If cost is an issue, get one from Ebay....I did, $143 shipped... :D

Paladin

Enlightened
Mine came with the 9P style anti-roll bezel and DOES have an external retaining ring. The package states the lens is Pyrex.

Paladin

batman

Enlightened
Hey guys these are really great answers. That D3 seems like a great deal...because of money concerns maybe I'll start out with one. THe A-2 is also in the not too distant future, unless that SF Kromo is better.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you feel more radical then go for the C2/C3 body. With slots and protrusions it looks aggressive and feels great in the hand. I started with a 6P. With a Surefire extender and the higher voltage bulb I converted the light to make it a 9P. It was great until I got a hold of a C3 body then my love for the 9P faded.

My C3 is more expensive but I get 200% more satisfaction with my C3 and Turbo Head. Leave the light stock or in my case I added the ARC mania Tower Module sporting a XX1S emitter running 1000mA. Both stock and modded configurations are great. The modded C3 acts as mean as it looks. The modded setup is a very satisfying area light with punch in the spot beam. The light is not cheap. Today I had to 'persuade' a fellow worker to give up my C3 that I call The Surefire "Ugly." It has a 'wow' factor of 10; it looks like a Klingon weapon or war staff. It looks evil but is surprisingly comfortable and lightweight to hold.

Another advantage to the C2/C3 is the hard anodizing. My 9p with the less durable paint chips too easily.

The C2/C3 has a much more aggressive look with the right parts. It is so ugly no one would give it a home. :grin2:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome To CPF!

The Brinkmann LX is an excellent light, especially for the price.

The SF 9P and C3 will put out the same amount of light with the same runtimes. A question of form and style. The C3 has a HA III finish. The 9P is type II making it slightly less durable. The C3 is designed to accompany a handgun in use. The C3 has a clip.

My preference is the C3, but then there is that price difference. The A2 is more of an addition to the above choices, IMO, and not a direct replacement. The A2 will not have the incandescent output of the 3 cell lights with the HOLA.

Mark.

Old thread, I know. But I am at the same junction, I just got a 9P but then realized it didn't have the HA-III finish while C3 does. Thus far, its type II seems to hold really well. I think if it starts to peel, I will get the Robar NP3 finish on it, it seems to be the best there is and should adhere to aluminum.

I got my 9P for $65... After NP3, it should cost the same as a C3. Not counting the Malkoff module of course.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old thread, I know. But I am at the same junction, I just got a 9P but then realized it didn't have the HA-III finish while C3 does. Thus far, its type II seems to hold really well. I think if it starts to peel, I will get the Robar NP3 finish on it, it seems to be the best there is and should adhere to aluminum.

I got my 9P for $65... After NP3, it should cost the same as a C3. Not counting the Malkoff module of course.

Keep in mind that that NP3 article was written by the manufacturer. Unless you have additional evidence of good performance from other sources, I would take it with a grain of salt.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumens Factory D36 lamps are not compatible with the Wolf Eyes 9DX. I would consider the Wolf Eyes M90 Rattlesnake for brightness.
for those that are really sensitive to price...the Wolfeyes 9DX is a great light for $52. I have a 9P and a got a 9DX when it was first introduced. I still love the 9P but I wouldn't hesitate to get the 9DX knowing what I know now. Also, Lumens Factory is bring out a D36 LED bulb that should work well in the 9DX.

http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-140-4-16-6022

Last edited:

cl0123

Enlightened
Adding my 2 cents.

Form - 9P
I like its simpler and rounder shape, aesthetically speaking. C3 looks too aggressive and military. Black is actually a good color.

Function - C3
Someone already mentioned the $60 difference buy ergonomics. I think the combat ring coupled with its squarish body make "cigar holding" much friendlier.

Old threads add depth to a good knowledge base.

With Aloha,

Clarence

JJV

Newly Enlightened
Why is C3 easier to hold than 9P?

It doesn't even appear to have knurling (?)

The C3 is easier to use in the "syringe" or "cigar" method-you can activate the light with your thumb easier (if you hold it like a syringe) because your fingers are locked around the rubber ring. I find that I like using a light that way, more so than the overhand grip (all fingers wrapped around the body with the thumb activating the light; hard to describe but I hope you catch my drift).