What should I take with me vs. having the movers take?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The subject line says it all.

The movers will be here in six days (05-11-06) to pack up & haul away my stuff. But I will be staying here until 05-22 to 05-25; and have a backpack to transport clothes, tolietries, food for the 18-hour bus trip, prescription medication, and other items that I'll be needing during that time.

I have decided to have my yellow DPSS and blue DPSS lasers, my SureFire U2, plus the loaner spectrometer with me, rather than having the movers box them up and drive them to Sacramento CA. USA along with the remainder of my belongings.

Any ideas regarding what other small lighting product I should take with me vs. having the movers take?
Note I said "small" here, as space in my backpack will be at a premium.

C4LED

Enlightened
Sounds like you're on the right track. I'd say the smallest and most expesive items you have should be taken with you (lights and other things). Also, take at least one light that you could find the most useful if you need it--even if it's not the most expensive. A small radio could be good to have as well when you're on the move.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I'd have to echo the smallest and most valuable comment, and add the ones that have sentimental value, or are irreplaceable. If you have a video recorder or digital camera, perhaps you should photograph your lights as protection, in case some that you know are there don't show up. Not sure if the movers have clause in the contract to prevent responsibilty for loss, but it's what I would do.

Even with my current collection being what it is, I sometimes have a hard time keeping track of them all, especially when I take a couple of them out to play with. Good luck with all this trying stuff at a trying time!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
craig when i moved i pretty much moved all i had it a acura legend 2 door car lol .guess i dont have much stuff .but i did leve some stuff for a naother trip the things that i wasnt afraid to get lost or stolen

magic79

Enlightened
The comments are right on. Everything the movers take is subject to loss or breakage.

I realize money is not in abundance for you, but PLEASE buy insurance...REPLACEMENT VALUE insurance because they WILL break and/or lose something or several things. I've never made a move where it didn't happen.

If they have told you you have insurance ask if it is REPLACEMENT VALUE. Otherwise, when they break that $500 sofa that's 10 years old, they'll give you $75. In my last couple of experiences I had to practically demand the replacement value insurance as they didn't seem to keen on selling it.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
magic79 said:
The comments are right on. Everything the movers take is subject to loss or breakage.

I realize money is not in abundance for you, but PLEASE buy insurance...REPLACEMENT VALUE insurance because they WILL break and/or lose something or several things. I've never made a move where it didn't happen.

If they have told you you have insurance ask if it is REPLACEMENT VALUE. Otherwise, when they break that $500 sofa that's 10 years old, they'll give you $75. In my last couple of experiences I had to practically demand the replacement value insurance as they didn't seem to keen on selling it.
DITTO - DITTO - DITTO - DITTO - DITTO - DITTO - DITTO!!!!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can with your space contraints take with you personally anything that is:

1. Very Expensive
2, Hard to replace or one of a kind
3. Anything with sentimental value
4. Anything borrowed/not yours

And ditto what was said about insurance, when I moved with movers less than 6 months ago my grill got dropped and damaged, several boxes of expensive crystal were damaged, the glass in two of my bookcases was broken, and oddly enough a box of telephone equipment disappeared all together.
The insurance is a must have when moving if at all possible.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out your moving company throughly--references, everything.

Moving Scams:

Please be aware, that "Binding Estimates" are not binding... They can, and do, double the price when they showup at the new place... And legally, it is hard to do anything about it.

Moving Tips:

OK, you have chosen several possible candidates for movers. You have good recommendations and they all are clean with the Better Business Bureau. The next step it to get written estimates. It's important to take the time to have the mover send a representative to your home to see the move and give you a written estimate. This is where most people get tripped up. If you have a written estimate done by a representative who came to your house, you have certain legal protections against the price being jacked up. So long as you do not make any material changes in the move, the mover can only collect within a certain percentage of his estimate on delivery. In many cases, if the actual charges legitimately go more than that, you may owe him the money, but you will not have to pay it on delivery. Many movers will even guarantee their estimate if they come to your home to do a home survey.

Many movers know if they give you a written estimate, they will be legally bound within limits to their estimate, so they may try to actually talk you out of sending an estimator. This is a BIG WARNING SIGN that this is a company you do NOT want to work with, no matter how nice or sincere the fellow sounds on the phone, or how cheap they may seem. In every news story I have ever seen about moving horror stories, virtually all have said 'I got a good price on the phone, but when they did the move, they jacked it way up!'

-Bill

pathalogical

Enlightened
TorchMan said:
I'd have to echo the smallest and most valuable comment, and add the ones that have sentimental value, or are irreplaceable. If you have a video recorder or digital camera, perhaps you should photograph your lights as protection, in case some that you know are there don't show up. Not sure if the movers have clause in the contract to prevent responsibilty for loss, but it's what I would do.

Even with my current collection being what it is, I sometimes have a hard time keeping track of them all, especially when I take a couple of them out to play with. Good luck with all this trying stuff at a trying time!

I agree with video and photographing as much as possible before the mover arrives. Write down serial numbers, make and model etc. I've seen on tv some horrible stories of moves-gone-bad. Stuff will break, go missing, get warehoused somewhere or just not show up at all on the arrival date. I've never had to move, but I wouldn't trust anyone with any of my stuff no matter how cheap it is. Now a days, the biggest concern might be with your computer. If you have a laptop, BRING IT WITH YOU !!! Think of all the personal info on it. If it's a desktop, back up your files and bring them with you as well. Think of it as bugging out...what would you take with you ?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have insurance for somewhat over $25,000.00 for all of my belongings.

I won't have the room to take the ProMetric system (a loaner instrument), but I *will* br taking the USB2000 spectrometer because it's about the X and Y dimensions of a pack of playing cards, and about twice as thick.

Radio - I packed up my CountyComm GP-4L radio; it has AM, FM, and several shortwave bands.

Difficult-to-replace - probably my EN McLux with white Luxeon, and my Arc LS modified with a royal blue Luxeon III LED - if it turns up before moving day of course.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. :thumbsup:

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You know, that's a very, very, VERY good idea!!! :twothumbs:
I think I'll put that in my pack right now!!!
Thank you!!! :) :D :thumbsup: :D :)

There, done.
Now I won't have to take a chance of putting that awful little
x2.gif
icon next to its listing.

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
ditto on the irreplaceable stuff.
and check out any movers very carefully.a neigbor got moved by some fradulant movers that after payment called and stated that the agreed apon amount wasnt enough and to have the updated amount ready or they were coming to reposess the stuff!
they arrived to find 30+neigbors on the lawn waiting.some with pump shotguns.
we gave them 30 seconds to leave before we would overturn the truck for some exercise.they left and were never heard from again.

amlim

Enlightened
snakebite said:
ditto on the irreplaceable stuff.
and check out any movers very carefully.a neigbor got moved by some fradulant movers that after payment called and stated that the agreed apon amount wasnt enough and to have the updated amount ready or they were coming to reposess the stuff!
they arrived to find 30+neigbors on the lawn waiting.some with pump shotguns.
we gave them 30 seconds to leave before we would overturn the truck for some exercise.they left and were never heard from again.

awww.... man.... just shotguns? what happened to the semi auto assault rifles? that's the spirit of neighbourliness ...:laughing:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
snakebite said:

I would've loved to see the look on their faces just before they ran! :laughing:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Craig, I've been a professional mover for 13 years now. The advice everyone has given so far is very good. Here are some questions I have that you should make sure you get the answers to.
--Did the salesman state who was responsible to actually do the packing? Are you supposed to box everything up, or are the movers? If you are doing the packing yourself, make sure the boxes are full. They have to be stacked upon one another in the truck, and if they are not full, the ones that are on the bottom will collapse, causing boxes to fall, damaging your posessions and possibly hurting someone. If something is very light weight and easily crushable in the box, label it "TOP LOAD". Don't leave smaller items unboxed. Make sure everything is packed and ready to go BEFORE the movers show up at your door. (Unless the movers are doing the packing).
When packing plates, or framed pictures, use lots of paper (be sure to put lots on the bottom of the box too) between each one, and don't lay them down on top of each other, make sure they are vertical. Lots of things get broken because of poor packing, not just because it was handled poorly.

--As far as the estimate is concerned, is it a "bound" or "not to exceed" estimate? This will help prevent charging more than you were quoted. And make sure you get a copy signed by the salesman. Don't go for a "phone estimate". Many times these are innaccuate, and cause problems. Also, make sure you have the salesman's cell phone number. Call him/her if you have any concerns on moving day.

--Was it specified if you are paying hourly rates for any packing or loading, or are you being charged by the weight of the shipment? Interstate moves are generally supposed to be charged by the weight.

--Ask the salesman for a "High-Value inventory sheet". Most reputable movers will give those to you when the estimate is performed. It is for you to list items of extraordinary value, usually things that exceed $100 per pound per item. Sometimes, however, the insurance you choose will make this form not applicable. The salesman should be able to determine this.

--Have a cooler with pop, water, Gatorade or juice for the guys when they are loading. This will help a bit with the mover's attitudes on loading day.

Good luck with your move, Craig. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

s.duff

Enlightened
i have never used movers but i was talking with a friend who has used them in the past and he says that out of everyone he knows that has used movers, things always come up broken or stolen. always buy insurance. he told me that he even knows guys who have had their boxes show up with different tape on them and jewelry and other pricey items missing. obviously not everyone is bad and will rip you off, but you just never know when it could happen.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I label all the rooms in the new place with big signs like Bedroom1 ( or sometimes more abstract labels like blue, green, etc). I tape the boxes well to make casual searching harder. Nothing with any value has the right label on it. My shortwave gear is always marked kitchen -- fragile -- glass. Be creative. Make sure none of it looks inviting.

I also try to pull a marker on a good friend and move the stuff I'm really twitched out about the night before.

Photograph the stacks of numbered packed boxes and try to have a friend camp at both your old and new locations on moving day -- that way you will at least appear to have things under control. Even if it's not as well organized as you'd like, give 'em clipboards with multipaged lists and tell 'em to act like they're on top of things.

Last edited:

Navck

Enlightened
LEDMuseum, I'd really, REALLY suggest that you bring any flashlight you value, like your ARC LS Prototype, or any light that you fear can be lost, and never obtained EVER again.