Oops... first go-round with dead batteries

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
heh. I've been playing with the A2 since i got it, definately an EDC for me. I was out playing with it just last night and thinking "wow! thats COOL!" and flashing peoples houses...

>sigh<

A few minutes ago I was reading this thread and my eyes perked up at the mention of the A2 beam becoming yellow and dim when the batts are dead. I dunno I guess I was kinda thinking the incan wouldnt work at all after the batteries die.

so... just for giggles... I busted open one of my spare battery packs and popped it in... WOOOOOW:drool: my batteries were dead and I didn't even know it!!!

I swapped the batteries back and forth a few times to make sure... yep. they're dead.

the cool part was, i was all impressed with the flaslight just last night, and it wasnt even BRIGHT then :ohgeez:

so... what to do with the dead (comparatively) batteries?
I guess I HAVE to get a U2 so they dont go to waste!:grin2:

anyone else ever replace their batteries and think "wow... cool!"?

Flakey

Enlightened
no, i always get angry. im thinking wait, this thing seems yellow? wtf, it was brighter than this a minute ago ..... alright ill pop my spares in to see if that helps ..... Hey look, bright light! that just cost me $3, son of a B@$%h! This is why all of my lights are now running on Lithium ion rechargeables .... cant beat the free lumens and longer runtimes!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Sgaterboy said:

I used to use them in my ARC LSH-P. I got about 20 minutes of runtime before the LSH-P dropped out of regulation.

You can also use the Inova X5. The X5 will dim, but you can get pretty long runtimes. The X5 with red LEDs only uses one battery.

You could also use the HDS EDC, McLux PD, Surefire E1L etc.

It is recommended that you not mix batteries for safety reasons and by using one cell lights the problem of mixing cells with different voltages is eliminated.

I mark the cells as used with a marker so that they don't get mixed with other batteries by mistake.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking x5 too... I kinda spent my budget for the next four years on the A2. too bad I live literally hundreds of miles from the nearest target :-( maybe target.com would have what i want... any dealers you can recommend?

Illum

Flashaholic
Sgaterboy said:
heh. I've been playing with the A2 since i got it, definately an EDC for me. I was out playing with it just last night and thinking "wow! thats COOL!" and flashing peoples houses...

>sigh<

A few minutes ago I was reading this thread and my eyes perked up at the mention of the A2 beam becoming yellow and dim when the batts are dead. I dunno I guess I was kinda thinking the incan wouldnt work at all after the batteries die.

so... just for giggles... I busted open one of my spare battery packs and popped it in... WOOOOOW:drool: my batteries were dead and I didn't even know it!!!

I swapped the batteries back and forth a few times to make sure... yep. they're dead.

the cool part was, i was all impressed with the flaslight just last night, and it wasnt even BRIGHT then :ohgeez:

I guess I HAVE to get a U2 so they dont go to waste!:grin2:

anyone else ever replace their batteries and think "wow... cool!"?

Personally I stick with LEDs for EDC [not that incandecents are bad at all] but Surefire models have problems with the lamp refusing to light when the batteries are around 50% rate of discharge while LEDs will run the Lithium till its bone dry.

Um, don't light up peoples houses, someone from my old neighborhood threatened to call the cops [old woman with cane and a very very sharp vocals] when I was given a 2D dorcy for Xmas...9 years old made that mistake...

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
ya I wasnt being irresponsible :) the houses were unoccupied. I know most of the people in my neighborhood so I'd definately have to answer to it if i woke someone up. Thanks for the caution tho :)

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the A2 do the exact same as the X5 if you just use the LED's? That's the beauty of this light, it does everything.
Sgaterboy said:
I'm thinking x5 too... I kinda spent my budget for the next four years on the A2. too bad I live literally hundreds of miles from the nearest target :-( maybe target.com would have what i want... any dealers you can recommend?

Illum

Flashaholic
Blindasabat said:
Doesn't the A2 do the exact same as the X5 if you just use the LED's? That's the beauty of this light, it does everything.

Deh...yes..
in perspective yes, but your comparing a 3LED to a 5LED...
the A2 is expensive over the X5 because of the ability to run xenon lamps

According to www.flashlightreviews.com [Thanks Quickbeam]
SF A2 [LED only] [Advertised 15+ hours]
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_a2.htm
Throw: 40
Overall: 520
~7.436 Lumens +/- 17%

INOVA X5 [Tested 6h12m to 50%]
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_x5t.htm
Throw: 225
Overall: 2000
~28.6 lumens +/- 17%

Im a bit surprised my self....:huh2:

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
yep, plus with the X5 i'll have an entirely seperate flashlight with which to fish my A2 out of the gutter when i get surprised by something silly and drop it.

oh wait, thats what the lanyard is for :) the light DOES do everything!!!

Illum

Flashaholic
Sgaterboy said:
yep, plus with the X5 i'll have an entirely seperate flashlight with which to fish my A2 out of the gutter when i get surprised by something silly and drop it.

oh wait, thats what the lanyard is for :) the light DOES do everything!!!

Surprised by something silly? Usually when I get surprised by something, that something will be blinded by my light pulled from the holster in a speed I cannot replicate in practice...
let there be LIGHT!

Ow, My eyes!

I dont use Lanyards much, I should, shouldnt I...
I usually fit snugly the light into my nylon holster and the holster into my pocket...Even though my lights are Hard anodized [HA-III] Im still afraid I might scratch it by another HA-III light, I bring 2+ EDC on a daily basis,and the Minimag [with nite-ize bulb mod] is pretty much scratched beyond recognition.... [HA-II]

My avatar tells why I carry 2+ EDCs, Im very very paranoid

InfidelCastro

Banned
The A2 is supposed to be one of the few regulated incandescants, I don't know why the beam would turn more yellow.

Sgaterboy

Newly Enlightened
Illum_the_nation said:
...Even though my lights are Hard anodized [HA-III] Im still afraid I might scratch it by another HA-III light. . .

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :lolsign: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

dragoman

Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
The A2 is supposed to be one of the few regulated incandescants, I don't know why the beam would turn more yellow.

It is a regulated incandescent. However, when the bulb drops out of regulation, contrary to popular belief, the incan does not just shut off, but behaves like a direct-driven incan and drops in brightness.

My thread here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/115467 illustrates this.

dragoman

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:
No one's mentioned the Milky Candle for draining cr123s.

Hmm... that's largely my own fault in that I've never really done a big run of them! Only a handful of folks have 'em. :(

More info on the upcoming MC2 over here.

image-cpf-mc1-on-with-clock-small.jpg