Are ya going to buy a LRI Proton or a Fenix L1T/L2T?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or the CPF mantra of all of them? Sight unseen and devoid of reviews I am leaning towards the L2T. For me personally unless you need the pocketability, I find the single AA cell lights uncomfortable to hold and prefer the longer barreled two AA cell lights. I realize this may be a personal preference. But I have seen the light output from a LOP and assume the L1T/L2T will be similar which means a nice beam albeit with overstated brightness but nice nonetheless. I have modified my Eternalight with Nichia CS leds which were an improvement yes but do not give me reason to believe the Proton will deliver the advertised output with a whiter beam yet until reviews would confirm this.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have trouble deciding, too, it seems like all the time a new light is offered but not enough information for purchase and since it is a prototype no reviews are available too how does one decide I tend to like single AA lights because they are pocketable and really, until one can hold the light, how can a purchase really be justified what if it has some undesireable feature like reverse clickie or threads that do not fit tighltly and then if the light needs modifying, can it be opened all the way or are the pieces fit in such a way that modifying is inconvenient then buying the item may not be adviseable after all.

HayJab

Newly Enlightened
The LRI Proton really sounds like a great light. But, I think I'll wait for a review or two before I purchase one.

Other than factory installed variable brightness, I don't really see what the T series Fenix offers over the P series. Am I missing something here?

HayJab so states...

W4DIZ

Enlightened
I had a L2P and gave it to a co-worker.I just did not like the switch.
I won't be getting the L2T.
I have a Proton on back order.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
After all the problems LRI have had with the Proton, I think if it fell short of what they say it will do then they are gonna have the mother of all back-lashes !!

I doubt they would risk that ..... plus I gather they are a company with integrity and long term plans .....

I'm definitely gonna get a Proton ..... the only choice for me is whether I go for this first release ..... or wait a while for their next version ..... :D

dmz

Enlightened
I read on this board that you can get a 1AA fenix tube for the L2T at lighthound.com

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
An L1P is my EDC, but I've gotta see what this Proton is all about. I like the dim-ability, the fact that it comes on full blast, and apparent ability run a long time on the red LED, but after buying 4 Fenix lights I'm mostly going with a Photon just to have a new toy thats unlike the others.

cheers

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to get too political, but if they weren't made in China I'd be all over it. Just my 2 cents worth....

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has an explanation for Fenix's choice in the switch ever been offered? I don't like it either. Maybe I could deal with the reverse clickie but when on, all you have to do is very lightly touch the tail for "momentary off" feature.

W4DIZ said:
I had a L2P and gave it to a co-worker.I just did not like the switch.
I won't be getting the L2T.
I have a Proton on back order.

Apollo

Newly Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
Not to get too political, but if they weren't made in China I'd be all over it. Just my 2 cents worth....

Why should it make a difference where it's made? Fenix LED lights are great lights in my opinion and I'm looking forward to the L1T. Anyway, to each his/her own, but what isn't made in China thes days?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wouldnt expect the LRI to have near as much throw due to the use of 5mms. Also, the beam quality will be affected by the cluster of LEDs as opposed to a single luxeon.

-David

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have the L1P/L2P, I like the L1P for its size, L2P for its runtime,
Its a hard choice, I will give the proton a miss not a great fan of Nichia leds.
I have made a choice it would have to be the Fenix L2T, I have always liked the
T bin Luxeon LED,

paulr

Flashaholic
The 1AA form factor is great. I'm very happy with my L1P. I don't feel like I need the L1T's two levels, but it's possible that its electronics are more efficient than the L1P's. So I may buy an L1T. The Proton is a different kind of light and I suppose I'll end up buying one on general principles. I do worry about the side switch turning on by accident in my pocket.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I already have a MillerMods L1P with two-stage switch. Gives me the punch of the Photon and hi/lo switching of the L1T. My Pacific AA pocket body is smaller/lighter than either light and has 13 hours of runtime on a lithium AA cell.

Maybe in a year or so, the Proton will have a ???? high flux LED inside and two 3mm reds like the original. That would be interesting but for now I don't have a need for either light. :( Is admitting I don't need a light the first step towards the cure?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll wait for all the reviews to come in before getting either. I doubt I'll get an L1T, since I've got a Jetbeam on the way and it'd jsut be redundant, but possibly I'll get a Proton. But again, I'll wait for the reviews.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will get the L1T and also L2T.
2 stage single LuxIII vs clutered 5mm in the same form is quite an unfair comparision in terms of max output. But I will buy those cute photon freedom max.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
Not to get too political, but if they weren't made in China I'd be all over it.

The more dependent we make them on the inflow of capital from the western world, the less likely they are to nuke us someday. And in the interim, they'll be taking one more step toward capitalism without knowing it.

Back on topic :), I went ahead and pre-ordered a Photon. It'll be nice to have it show up in my mailbox sometime when I'm not expecting it.

cheers

*Retired*
geepondy said:
Or the CPF mantra of all of them? Sight unseen and devoid of reviews I am leaning towards the L2T. For me personally unless you need the pocketability, I find the single AA cell lights uncomfortable to hold and prefer the longer barreled two AA cell lights. I realize this may be a personal preference. But I have seen the light output from a LOP and assume the L1T/L2T will be similar which means a nice beam albeit with overstated brightness but nice nonetheless. I have modified my Eternalight with Nichia CS leds which were an improvement yes but do not give me reason to believe the Proton will deliver the advertised output with a whiter beam yet until reviews would confirm this.

Yeah, I understand your issue with the Fenix. The new T models show lower lumen numbers on their website:
http://www.fenixlight.com/flashlight/fenixl1t.htm

Since the entire rest of the Fenix line is questionable on the numbers, if Proton actually tests their light for lumens, and it is the same as the Fenix or better, than it is a no brainer for the Proton.

I know they have been working on the Proton for some time now, hopefully the fruits of their labor will show.

Apollo said:
Why should it make a difference where it's made? Fenix LED lights are great lights in my opinion and I'm looking forward to the L1T. Anyway, to each his/her own, but what isn't made in China thes days?

Well, it is kinda funny to see lights that claim to be Made in the USA, with the LumiLEDs Luxeon's all being made in Malaysia....

Last edited: