Surefire E2E or L4?

Climb14er

Enlightened
I was about to order the E2E with extra high intensity bulb assemblies but when I went to Surefire's site to get more beta, I noticed the LED L4 'alternative'.

Being that I'm very well aware of LED's from the progression of headlamps I have used while climbing, currently have the Princeton Tec EOS which I like a lot, the question is...

Should I order the more expensive L4, thinking about the present and the future, than the E2E with extra bulb assemblies?

I'll use this for EDC, home self defense, as I also have a CCW, plus this light will be taken with me when I travel and work as well.

Any downsides to the L4 in comparison to the E2E other than initial cost? About the same size? I want a bright light first and foremost. If I could have an LED which I'll never have to change this is a huge bonus.

Is the L4 a light that will run 'hot' with the high intensiey LED compared to the E2E?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and really like both. The E2E is my main EDC, although I have carried the L4 also.

For use inside the house for general use or defense use, I would grab the L4. It is a huge flood beam. You can stand in a doorway and light most rooms from wall to wall and floor to ceiling and see everything really well. Yes, the L4 runs fairly hot, but it is designed for this and tolerates it easily. Also, you have the reliability of the LED. No lamp failure at a critical moment.

The E2E has more throw and is quite bright for a small light. I generally prefer the look and color rendition of an incan. The lamps have proven to be very reliable and I have not yet had a failure. I use the MN03 always.

The standard CPF answer would be to get both. You would use and enjoy both. Fortunately, with the E series you have available a great compromise.

Buy an L4. then buy just the E series incan head and a lamp from Lighthound or here on B/S/T lights. A ten second head change gives you either the L4 or E2E as mood or situation dictates.

Mark

zehnmm

Enlightened
I second what Flash_Gordon says.

I have an E2E and the KL4 head. Additionally, I bought an Aleph 2x123 body from Lighthound. Bought an Aleph 2-stage tailcap from the Sandwich shop. This gives me at the least the following options: 1) E2E and its stock bulb, MN03; 2) E2E with the KL4; 3) KL4+Aleph body+Aleph tailcap. In the latter 2 options, I use a protected 17670 battery (from Lighthound) where I get 20 hrs. of runtime on the KL4 with the tailcap on low (the tailcap has a 15 ohm resistor; I think they are out of stock right now on the Sandwich shop website....)

The KL4 head is the same head used on the L4. L4 essentially = KL4 head on E2E body, except for minor differences such as lettering.

Bottom line: You cannot go wrong with the L4 or E2E + KL4.

a99raptors

Enlightened
Same dilemma here. I just got an E2e and am thinking of an L4. Basically, the E2e is great for spotting things in a distance, but I considering the L4 for 95% of daily use.

Climb14er

Enlightened
I appreciate the beta so far! I do like the throw of a beam, the clarity of an incan.

Re: self defense capabilities which is the main aspect of the flashlight, in my house, the bedrooms are at the end of a long corridor, from my room looking downward, approx forty feet to the end wall, and then that room opens up to a much larger area to the left.

My thoughts are is the light to be used to light up the corridor to the end and then whatever light 'remains' will spill over to light the other area.

The brightness is what's important, both to blind any potential intruders and to give me the ability to see through the light to the target area.

Also, in a self defense situation outside, the light would be used to illuminate the area, say twenty to fifty feet distance, with the potential to blind the potential assailant.

In these situations, I'm sure both lights would work fine. Is there one which would be more 'ideal'?

Also, the quality of the light is important as you all know too well.

dragoman

Enlightened
why not buy the E2E and a KL4 head?

By switching the bezels, you would have an L4, right?

dragoman

The Porcupine

Enlightened
Climb14er,
Others here will say the same, but don't rely on your flashlight for self defense! You may be able to blind an intruder for a very short time with both the E2E and L4, but don't count on it! Turning your light on, will give your position away.
It may sound "mall ninja'ish", but if I suspect there are intruders in my house/on my property, I bring both a gun and a flashlight!
That said, both lights are great. If you buy the E2E, you can get a KL4 head for it and if you go for the L4, you can get an E2 bezel and lamp.
If you are interrested in "blinding factor", my experience is that (tested it on myself!) the E2E is more "blinding" than the L4.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's just in your house, use a 15MCP Thor and laugh at both. Plus it's cheaper..

My flashlights are used for utility, and I find the KL4 to be more or less exactly what I want. The wall of light just works well :)

Climb14er

Enlightened
The Porcupine said:
Climb14er,
Others here will say the same, but don't rely on your flashlight for self defense! You may be able to blind an intruder for a very short time with both the E2E and L4, but don't count on it! Turning your light on, will give your position away.
It may sound "mall ninja'ish", but if I suspect there are intruders in my house/on my property, I bring both a gun and a flashlight!
That said, both lights are great. If you buy the E2E, you can get a KL4 head for it and if you go for the L4, you can get an E2 bezel and lamp.
If you are interrested in "blinding factor", my experience is that (tested it on myself!) the E2E is more "blinding" than the L4.

When I shared the light for self defense, it is in conjunction with my pistols, as I have a CCW, concealed carry permit, and loaded in my nightstand are fifteen rounds of 124gr +P JHP Gold Dots ion the pistol with another fifty plus rounds in extra mags.

I think I'll order the E2E to start and get a price on the KL4 extra head.

Thanks all!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd order the L4 and get a price on the E2e bezel + MN03 from Lighthound - it might work out cheaper that way. The KL4 head is fairly expensive.

It's interesting to note that the KL4 head is also used on the Surefire Scout Light for long guns. If it's good enough to serve that role, it's good enough to be a weapon light.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend an E2e with a MN02 lamp. Smaller hotspot but with about the same throw as the MN03 but with twice the runtime.

I'd get an L2 before I'd get an L4. I had both but gave the L4 to my brother.

All are great lights and I don't think you can go wrong or will be dissapointed with any of them. If you haven't handled an E2 platform, you will be very suprised at how small they are and how much light comes out the business end. Since you have a LED headlamp I would go with the incan SF. And with the lower initial cost of the E2e you can also get a holster, spare lamp (MN02!), box of batteries, and a SC3 spares carrier for about the same cost as the L4. Also get a small split ring for the pocket clip so you can use the lanyard from your spares carrier for you flashlight. A complete system!

Where are my manners, WELCOME!!!

kelmo

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and would get the L4 first. The L4 with the two way switch is an awesome combo for a edc. Like Porcupine said, I would never rely on a flashlight for self defense purposes!

The Porcupine

Enlightened
Climb14er said:
When I shared the light for self defense, it is in conjunction with my pistols, as I have a CCW, concealed carry permit, and loaded in my nightstand are fifteen rounds of 124gr +P JHP Gold Dots ion the pistol with another fifty plus rounds in extra mags.

I think I'll order the E2E to start and get a price on the KL4 extra head.

Thanks all!
Sounds good! :) In that case, I'd get the L4. It puts out a lot of light and you won't need to move it much to keep it on target.
Apart from that, it's a fantastic light for everyday use!

crouchingrooster

Newly Enlightened
if it's strictly between the E2E and the L4, then it's straight up the L4. No compromise, better security, reliability, insurance. The L4 is undoubtly the winner in my circle. Trust me, it's a very tight circle... Just my two pennies worth!!!

Climb14er

Enlightened
I ordered the L4, two dozen titanium batteries and a holster from Michael at www.opticshq.com

He treated me really well especially when I mentioned the referral from the forum.

I'll post an update when I receive the package in a few days and get to put the light through its paces.

Thanks again forum!

CLHC

Flashaholic
I see you went with the SureFire L4—Congrats!

My personal preference would lean towards the SureFire E2e and pretty much what everyone here summed up.

Enjoy!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Climb14er said:
I ordered the L4, two dozen titanium batteries and a holster from Michael at www.opticshq.com

He treated me really well especially when I mentioned the referral from the forum.

I'll post an update when I receive the package in a few days and get to put the light through its paces.

Thanks again forum!

Well done :)

Think you'll like it..

Climb14er

Enlightened
Got the package and definitely glad I purchased the L4! Powerful, more light than I could imagine, small in hand too. Great service from Michael too!

Flashdark

Enlightened
Climb14er,

Yah done good!!!, Flash Gordon and KevinL hit it right on the nose. Keep in mind that with your self-defense priority, the KL-4 LED reliability and shockproof characteristics are the primary requirement. You absolutely will not be sorry. Good luck!!