XRGT LED bin ?

Soniq7

Newly Enlightened
Anybody know which bin HDS uses for their various models?

Last edited:

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: XRGT LEN bin ?

Henry knows but he's not saying. I would guess that he buys the best bins available then tests thems himself. The most efficient ones from the bin go into XR lights and the ones with the best tint go into GT lights. (The bins are big enough that there is a noticable difference between the top and the bottom of the bin,)

Greg

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic

what's the big secret?

YO or XO produces a nice white tint, leaning twards blueish.
Hbin Vf is generally most effecient available for 3watt
Ubin generally produces highest flux for 3watt

a few years ago premium bin's were indeed rare, but premium bins are getting common.

IMHO you're not going to get 85+ lumens out the front end from a three watt, unless you luck out and get a overachieving LED. aka mutant LED simular to ARC4X.

I've only seen one three watt, Ubin light that possibly could produce 85 lumens out front end.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've heard (not seen myself) that the HDS lights with the GT mark tend more towards a warm white. I only own one light that I know is a Y0 (RY0J) but I would describe it as very cold tinted. It's downright blue, at least as far as white Luxeons go.

Personally, if I bought a GT and it came with a Y0, and it happened to be as cold tinted as my RY0J, I'd be very disappointed and send it back. I guess I'm saying that everyone has a different impressiion of what "white" ought to look like. The problem is further complicated because our brains are constantly trying to "adjust" what we see to make white out of the things we think should be white. If you have a Lux with a tint (and they all do, don't they?) it really starts to play games with your head.

I find that my perception of which of my Luxes is the closest to white will vary from day to day; perhaps even from hour to hour. I also have an RV1K which I find is very white during casual use. But, if I use it right after I've been staring at the RY0J, it looks very green. I've got an old QYAJ which I used to think was my "benchmark white" Luxeon, but these days it's looking rather pinkish/purpleish to me.

Ah well. Tint is a terrible thing to try to get a handle on. I'm finding for myself, it's best to try to accept that all my Luxes have different tints, none of them a truly white, and try not to let it bother me.

Navck

Enlightened

This is a guess, but they might be UYOH or UWOHs. Or they might be very nice TYOH or TWOHs, since Henry could of designed a highly efficient reflector for all we know. Or it might be coated with some special coating that minimalizes losses.