2 Stage Options for Surfire KL4 Head

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,
:help:
I am waiting to recieve my newly purchased KL4 head. I also have on order, an L4 body with no tail cap from lighthound.
I have some questions, and i seek your help!
1. Will the L4 body accept E-series tailcaps, like aleph?
2. What options do i have for 2 stage tailcaps? I have a SureFire® z57 tail cap, is their a mod for 2 stages that someone could do? (i cant mod very well)
3. Is their any 2 stage tailcaps for e-series being sold, or does anyone want to sell one?
4.McE2S LOTC two stage FLAT switch DIY Kit --> would this work with the z57 tailcap? has anyone done this mod? would anyone be willing to do it?

The sandwich shop always seams to be out of 2 stage aleph switches
Any input would help out alot, and hope to end up with a 2 stage KL4.
THANK you

-bobby :help:

Last edited:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Will the L4 body accept E-series tailcaps, like aleph?

Yes, the L4 is part of the E-series

2. What options do i have for 2 stage tailcaps? I have a SureFire® z57 tail cap, is their a mod for 2 stages that someone could do? (i cant mod very well)

Maybe, I'm not sure. I'd imagine you could do something..

3. Is their any 2 stage tailcaps for e-series being sold, or does anyone want to sell one?

McE2S!!

4.McE2S LOTC two stage FLAT switch DIY Kit --> would this work with the z57 tailcap? has anyone done this mod? would anyone be willing to do it?

I don't know if you can stick those in there or not, but I'd bet somebody good could tell you..

Kiessling

Flashaholic
1. Yes. That was the whole point of the Aleph System.

2. There are the Aleph tailcaps, and IIRC TrueBlue did a 2-stage mod for the Z57 clicky. You might wanna PM him about it.

3. Aleph tailcaps at the Shoppe or ask the Aleph builders: Darell, Chop, tylerdurden, JollyRoger and kj

4.1 The McE2S module *can* be fitted in a Z57 shell, but you'll lose the clicky, which is more expensice than just buying an Aleph tailcap shell on the long run.

4.2 The McE2S fitted switches do not have a lock-out function

The Aleph System is being discontinued which is the reason why some parts are beginning to be sold out.

bernie

P.S.: oh ... what ACMarina said... :D

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, bernie, I didn't get the 4.1 AND 4.2, though ;) And I just paraphrased what you'd have said anyway, simply because I stumbled upon it right after it was posted :)

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACMarina, Kiessling, thank you for your information. I wassnt sure about the L4 body, because it uses a 2 stage surefire tailcap when it is stock, and i diddnt know if it was different from the rest of the e series. Thank you for your wisdom
-bobby

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Uh ... the L4 does use a single-stage Z57 tailcap ... and the L2 uses a special 2-stage tailcap ... but the L2 IS NOT E-Series compatible :caution:
Just mentioning this in case there is a confusion ...
:)
bernie

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah ok, my logic was right, but not right about the bodies. Good thing i diddnt get an L2 body. I forgot the the L4 was all about Lots of light. SO, i will end up with an L4. Cool!
:laughing:

-bobby

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no need to PM. The mod is easy to do. I won't claim to be the first one to do it but I did do the mod to a Surefire tail cap. It is very easy.

You can find the original Kroll and SF tail cap mod here:

Kroll and SF tail cap two-brightness mod.

Here is what I wrote back then.

"This is another two brightness switch mod for a Surefire L4 tail cap so it might be a little off topic.

The Surefire L4 tail cap can also be made into a two brightness switch. With the modded tail cap you twist to turn on the light. Clicking the button changes the low and high beam. Or it could be high and low beam. Momentary high beam from low is made by a slight push on the button.

4kl4twobrightnessbeamshot9gh.jpg

The tail cap comes apart by twisting the retaining ring on the outside tail. Pull the rubber boot off and the switch assembly falls right out. Solder a 10 ohm resistor from the center spring to the outside ground ring and reassemble. 20 minutes work is all it takes to 'break' the tail cap and turn it into a two brightness tail cap.

The tail cap warranty is no doubt void with this mod. Look at what you gain. Your Surefire L4 can gain a two brightness tail cap for the price of a 20 cent Radio Shack 1/4-watt resistor."

Now back to your normal thread about Kroll two brightness mods.

sfl4minimag3po.jpg

Or you could look inside this thread…somewhere in the thread shows how to do the mod. The mod was done by LED Zeppelin and me on the Kroll switch. It is a VERY LONG and currently a never ending thread with a lot of twists and turns.

A SFIII Mc38 thead that is REALLY long.

You might find out the mod is very easy to do.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
trueblue, thank you. i think even i could do this mod. very helpfull! THANKS!
i will let you know how it turns out
-bobby

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi guys! I did trueblue's method, and it works great! and the funny part is, this was my FIRST time soldering, ever!. Its a bit messy, but no one will have to look at it but me. Wow, you just saved me 50 dollars! i found some old resistors and it has a nice low beam now. THANK YOU!
-bobby

Last edited:

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is true testimony to how modders get started making lights or houses get recklessly burnt down.

Congratulations on your first mod. Did you time it? Was it more or less then 20 minutes to do? Enjoy the light.

dmz

Enlightened
I would just buy a L2 and live with a longer flashlight.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACmarina is right. Personally, the L2 feels awkward in size compared to the L4. The KL4 head can fit other bodies and works with a variety of different size/voltage batteries. I rarely use my L2 so it will remain new forever. The L2 is a close ended design. The KL4 has many different characters.

The L4 is a great all-purpose light with the addition of a two-brightness tail cap.

sfkl4heads4cz.jpg

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
Does anyone know of a source for McE2S switches? Were these switches ever finished in HA that matches the SF bodies?

nirad

Enlightened
Try the sandwich shoppe, they used to have them. They do have em in nat HA too. I actually got mine from Lighthound, on Ebay...you may want to drop him a line .:)

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shaocaholica, just so you know (if you don't already) HA rarely matches completely. Heck, I've purchased complete flashlights brand new in the box and had HA mismatches. It's natural and it happens..

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
ACMarina said:
Shaocaholica, just so you know (if you don't already) HA rarely matches completely. Heck, I've purchased complete flashlights brand new in the box and had HA mismatches. It's natural and it happens..
I guess I meant natural for natural and black for black. I know that HA doesn't always match but I want to be at least in the ballpark with respect to natural or black.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the body on the light to the farthest right?? It is beautiful!

TrueBlue said:
ACmarina is right. Personally, the L2 feels awkward in size compared to the L4. The KL4 head can fit other bodies and works with a variety of different size/voltage batteries. I rarely use my L2 so it will remain new forever. The L2 is a close ended design. The KL4 has many different characters.

The L4 is a great all-purpose light with the addition of a two-brightness tail cap.

sfkl4heads4cz.jpg