Recieved my 9P/KL3 today

dragoman

Enlightened
Hi,

Today I got home off the road and unwrapped my 9P w/ KL3 module that I bought last week off of B/S/T.

I'm very happy with the light.

First impressions were that this is an excellent size light to hold. It has enough weight and heft to make it feel like it is THERE. I also like the finish, the Black Type II is very nice looking.

The knurling is also very pronounced. My A2 knurling is very under-stated, almost feels like a rough/smooth kind of surface. The 9P is definately rough, which I like.

The switch is also nice, although is has "Surefire USA" and www.surefire.com in bright white lettering around the tailcap button. I could have done without the bright white lettering on an all-black light.

Another small gripe is the lack of a clip or a lanyard. I work with my lights, and a lanyard or belt clip is essential for me not dropping/loosing my light when I need my hands. I'll probably be ordering a P91, lanyard, and spares carrier from Surefire soon....

The bulbs:

The P90 is very bright, brighter than my A2. I'm not doing beamshots tonight, but I might post some when I have more time. I also haven't done a runtime on it, so the 1 hr advertised runtime is also not confirmed. From my experience with the A2, however, SF tends to under-rate their lights with regards to brightness and runtimes, so I expect a little better than an hour from the P90.

KL3 - very nice. VERY nice. I put this on outside for the first time after illuminating the tree across the street with the P90. The KL3 throws at least as well as the P90, althouth it is not quite as bright. I'm fairly sure the SF ratings are a bit under-stated also......I'm pretty sure its more than 28 lumens that SF rates it.

The regulations seems good, and the tint is perfect. I own another light with an optic driven luxeon III (riverrock 2c spot) and I have to say the beam is gorgeous. Bright center with nice spillbeam. Very useful when walking. I'm taking the RR back, its pretty much useless with that spot and no spillbeam.

Supposedly the KL3 will get over 7 hrs of regulated runtime with 3 cells before dropping out of regulation. I will have to compare this with my Pelican SuperSabre, which is my current "throw" light for work. If the KL3 throws as good or better, I may start using the 9P in the plant instead.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase. I like the flexibility of using both an incan bulb and a LED on the same body. It would be nice if SF made a 3 or 4 cell A2 that had longer runtimes. I would use an A2 that is the length of the 9P that gave me 2hrs regulated on the incandescent.....

I'll post beamshots when I have time....

dragoman

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Dragon,

I'm missing my setup already:awman:

I'm glad your enjoying it, I almost hated to give it up.
Just needed the funds for a new project.

Enjoy and Take Care !!

Ray

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I've got a KL3 onthe way that I just purchased on B/S/T. I'll be running it on either a 9P or 6P. Reading your review has made the waiting even worse!

If I like it enough I might get a C2 body from lighthound and make it a dedicated light, at the moment the plan is to use it as an alternative to either the Turbo head or standard z44, depending on the mood I'm in.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
Is it true that the same KL-3 head will work on both the 6P and the 9P, just change them out? If so I'm buying one. Are the ones you guys bought on BST used or new?

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Yes, the KL3 will work on both the 6P and the 9P. You do not get a brighter light out of the 9P, but you do get longer run time.

Mine is the new style, can't remember how much use it has had, I think it was being sold 'as new'.

dragoman

Enlightened
Mine was used, but barely. It still had the white dot sticker indicating the tint of the LED on the side of the module...

Further use of the KL3 module and I am very pleased. It is very bright, and with 7hrs of regulation you can't go wrong with a 3-cell light for this thing. It is simply awesome. Easily the best optic-based emitter I've yet seen....

dragoman