• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mag 2D Mod Idea - Am I crazy???

cavanaug

Newly Enlightened
First a big thanks to everyone at CPF. Ive been reading articles for days & days and I know I still havent covered everything here. The sheer volume of information is amazing...

Ok so Ive been getting into the whole flashlight thing. Got my first taste of something semi-decent with the Cyclops deal from Sams Club.

Im in the process of upgrading my Mag 3d's to the 3watt DB-K2-WHT. But I still have a 2d sitting here.

Im wondering if I could utilize say the bulb from a SF 9P, in my 2d, and drive it with 6 123a's (2 x 3-123as in parallel). I figure this entails creating a holder for the batteries and finding the right bulb.

My theory here is that at the end of the day I would have:
- a really bright output (~120 lumens, unless I switch to P91 bulb)
- double the runtime of the sf 9p
- excellent "shelf" life if say the flashlight sits for 1-2 years without usage
- a flashlight I could still crack over someones skull if i had to

Am I nuts here??

--
John

Timson

Enlightened
Don't know how you could integrate a surefire lamp into a Mag.
Even if you could do it - It sounds like a lot of unnecessary work when there are better options out there.

If I were you...For simplicity and a satisfying and useful first mod - I'd do a ROP (Roar Of Pelican)

Get your Pelican 'Big D' bulb Here
and use 6xAA cells in either Fivemega or Modamag's custom AA battery carrier.
Alternatively you could use 2 x Lithium 18650 cells.

The low output lamp of the Pelican pair will embarrass a 6D Mag :)

If you're going to try the high output lamp you'll need an aluminium reflector and a glass lense due to heat issues (Reflector will melt quick time with a 24W lamp) and high performance cells such as CBP 1650's which can provide the oomph required by the big lamp.

Happy modding

Tim