Some questions on Streamlight 4AA Luxeon

veleno

Enlightened
Everybody says it has a good throw, but has it also a decent/good sidespill?

Is it submersible (1 m)?

In your opinion which is the worst thing about this flashlight?

steve_vance

Enlightened
Yes, ProPoly 4AA Luxeon has decent sidespill; see beamshot and comments in www.flashlightreviews.com review; webmaster Quickbeam describes spillbeam as "wide"

Additionally, light is actually submersible, rated as "waterproof", not just water resistant. It is also chemical resistant.

Here's some explanation, I hope you find it useful: (sorry for the long post :ohgeez::):popcorn:
It has the following hazardous environments approvals:
Class I, Div II, Groups A-B-C-D
Class II, Div II, Groups F-G
Class III, T3C spec
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif](The National Electric Code defines hazardous location classifications and protection techniques. The basic designation is by ''class'' and ''division.''
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For example, Class I locations are areas where flammable gases may be present in sufficient quantities to produce explosive or flammable mixtures.[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Class II locations can be described as hazardous because of the presence of combustible dust. Class III locations contain easily ignitable fibers and flyings)[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Division 1 designates an environment where flammable gases, vapors, liquids, combustible dusts or ignitable fibers and flyings are likely to exist under normal operating conditions. On the other hand, Division 2 is an environment where flammable gases, vapors, liquids, combustible dusts or ignitable fibers and flyings are not likely to exist under normal operating conditions.)
Hazardous atmospheres are further defined by ''groups.'' These include:
[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Group A: Atmospheres containing acetylene.
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Group B:[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Atmospheres containing hydrogen, gases or vapors of equivalent hazard such as manufactured gas.
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Group C: Atmospheres containing ethyl-ether vapors, ethylene, or cyclo-propane.
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Group D: Atmospheres containing gasoline, hexane, naptha, benzene, butane, propane, alcohol, acetone, benzol, lacquer solvent vapors, or natural gas.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Group F: Atmospheres containing carbon black, coal or coke dust.
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Group G: Atmospheres containing flour, starch, or grain dusts.

It is also rated for mining use by MSHA (Mine Safety & Health Assoc.)

So it is not only waterproof, but is safe to use in almost any circumstance, including explosive gases, combustible vapors or particles, etc.

all for under thirty bucks:grin2:

Oh. almost forgot: in my opinion, the worst thing about this light is the looks (OMG) it doesn't look "sleek and sexy" like a Surefire or Pelican M6 HAIII

but that's small potatoes. I own about half a doxen of this light.

[/font]

Last edited:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
This is a fantastic light for the price. Very well regulated, tough, nice beam, bright, uses common AA cells and very comfortable to hold while walking the dog for example. It fills the needs I have for a light with lots of throw.

Probably the worst thing about the light is the rubber covered switch at the rear of the light. It has very light action and will tend to come on if tossed in a knapsack or a briefcase. It will turn on with very little pressure.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
IMHO the worst thing is the switch. It works just fine, but there are lugs on either side of it to prevent accidental (de)activation. These lugs in combination with the oval bodyshape make it a bit awkward to operate the switch with your thumb.
everything else about this light is pretty sweet...

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the bit of reassurance. I thought I went a little overboard in getting that many, but I've found a use for every one of them.

steve_vance said:
I own about half a doxen of this light.

g36pilot

Enlightened
I've acquired four and will get a few more for the family. One was sent to my son for his Florida hurricane Bug Out Bag.

Good throw and enough spill to light up a room. Readily available batteries. Wet weather? No problem.

Allnew2me

Enlightened
I got mine last week after reading all the good things about and I have to say it is a great light. The switch has a great feel, good click sound and feel to but it is a bit sensitive. Other than that the batteries rattle around a little more than a round flashlight but I have not had the chance to fill space between them with something yet. I didn't think I'd use the lanyard but it is actually useful. I don't know if all of yours are like mine, but the beam is really white and bright, tight spot and great throw. It outthrows my XO and is a heck of a lot whiter in tint also.

pbs357

Enlightened
Has anyone compared beams of the SLPP4AA lux versus the DB3 LED drop in for a 3D mag? Ok, I KNOW some of you have both:grin2: , so lemme rephrase - I have the DB3 and am thinking of adding the SL to the family, just not sure what to expect in comparison. Thanks!

Dawg

Enlightened
pbs357 said:
Has anyone compared beams of the SLPP4AA lux versus the DB3 LED drop in for a 3D mag? Ok, I KNOW some of you have both:grin2: , so lemme rephrase - I have the DB3 and am thinking of adding the SL to the family, just not sure what to expect in comparison. Thanks!
I have both. Give me 5 minutes and I will let you know.

Edit......The Streamlight has a Tighter, brighter, whiter hotspot and a better side spill than the DB3. The DB3 out throws it a little. I like the Mags with the DB3, but after listening to Brighteyez, I broke down and got one. I should have ordered 2 or 3. I will be getting one of the 3C models eventually as well. Get 2 or you will wish you had and then regret that you did not. I think the shape is cool and fits my hand nicely. The switch is great and this is not a light I would be traveling with so I am not worried about it going on accidentally in my luggage. You can turn the head out 4 or 5 turns and lock it out for travel.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
The complaint—if ever there was one—is that the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon has a "rattle" of the batteries within the body. But that's a minute irritant only.

I also have the DB-3W, but I've "misted" the reflector to produce a W-I-D-E F-L-O-O-D lighting pattern, and I don't remember what it looks like prior to that since it's been awhile now. But more than likely, what Dawg said.

Enjoy!

Another thing—What I really like about the SL.4AA.ProPo.Lux is its durability. It really can take quite an abuse and still keep on shining! Believe you me, I know. Although, mine has somehow "vanished" from off the worksite. :awman:

Last edited:

Dawg

Enlightened
CHC said:
The complaint—if ever there was one—is that the Streamlight 4AA ProPolymer Luxeon has a "rattle" of the batteries within the body. But that's a minute irritant only.

I also have the DB-3W, but I've "misted" the reflector to produce a W-I-D-E F-L-O-O-D lighting pattern, and I don't remember what it looks like prior to that since it's been awhile now. But more than likely, what Dawg said.

Enjoy!

Another thing—What I really like about the SL.4AA.ProPo.Lux is its durability. It really can take quite an abuse and still keep on shining! Believe you me, I know. Although, mine has somehow "vanished" from off the worksite. :awman:
I have a buddy that hates Streamlight. When I told him I bought a Propoly, he was ticked that I did not respect his opinion. I told him what you were doing to yours and he would not believe me.

veleno

Enlightened
Bought! It's quite ugly ( :grin2: ), but the positive opinions in this forum make me take it.

Thanks to all!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like the way the head is heavier than the body. If you rest the light with the handle on a table and the bezel off the table, the light falls off. Another test showed that when dropped, it drops bezel first.

sl4aa003.jpg

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
CHC said:

That rattling noise in the SL4AA comes from the 'keyring' that the landyard attaches to. I got rid of the keyring and fed the landyard directly into the plastic body. Much less rattling.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'm a flattered, but I really wouldn't go out and buy a bunch of anything based upon any individual posting on a forum/newsgroup. Buying one first to try it out and then buying more if you like it would probably be a more prudent move. After all, forums tend to be anonymous and you never know if the post that you're reading might not be coming from a manufacturer's rep or a dealer, or someone in their employ. And while I have bought quite a few of the 4AAs, I did buy one first to try it out before I bought the rest of them.

Word of caution regarding the 3C ... it might make you disappointed with the output level from the 4AA version ;), but bear in mind that it is larger (about the size of a 2D plastic light.) And a more serious caveat ... if you're thinking of using NiMH batteries in the 3C, they may not work. The battery positive buttons on the NiMH batteries (in particular, ones of Chinese origin) are larger than the buttons on primary alkaline batteries, and the 3C has a plastic ring and a pin to accomodate the positive contact. Primary alkalines and AA NiMH batteries in C adapters work fine, but the 4500-5000 mAh NiMH C sized batteries may not.

Dawg said:
I like the Mags with the DB3, but after listening to Brighteyez, I broke down and got one. I should have ordered 2 or 3. I will be getting one of the 3C models eventually as well.

Dawg

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Well I'm a flattered, but I really wouldn't go out and buy a bunch of anything based upon any individual posting on a forum/newsgroup. Buying one first to try it out and then buying more if you like it would probably be a more prudent move. After all, forums tend to be anonymous and you never know if the post that you're reading might not be coming from a manufacturer's rep or a dealer, or someone in their employ. And while I have bought quite a few of the 4AAs, I did buy one first to try it out before I bought the rest of them.

Word of caution regarding the 3C ... it might make you disappointed with the output level from the 4AA version ;), but bear in mind that it is larger (about the size of a 2D plastic light.) And a more serious caveat ... if you're thinking of using NiMH batteries in the 3C, they may not work. The battery positive buttons on the NiMH batteries (in particular, ones of Chinese origin) are larger than the buttons on primary alkaline batteries, and the 3C has a plastic ring and a pin to accomodate the positive contact. Primary alkalines and AA NiMH batteries in C adapters work fine, but the 4500-5000 mAh NiMH C sized batteries may not.
Nice catch. You obviously had first hand experience with the C cells not working. I would be perfectly content to use only primary cells as these lights will be pressed into service in a place where they won't be used every day. NIMH are not good for anything but regular use appliances, IMHO.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Dawg said:
I have a buddy that hates Streamlight. When I told him I bought a Propoly, he was ticked that I did not respect his opinion. I told him what you were doing to yours and he would not believe me.
Well, guess I'll have to do it again to another "newer" SL.4AA.ProPo.Lux and then maybe send it to you for evidence. :huh:

Hey that's a neato green glow paint you've done there greenlight! I wonder why you chose green though? :thinking:

monkeyboy said:
That rattling noise in the SL4AA comes from the 'keyring' that the landyard attaches to. I got rid of the keyring and fed the landyard directly into the plastic body. Much less rattling.
I can see that from the "keyring" adding additional rattle to the light. But it rattled prior to me attaching the lanyard and ring. I tried teflon taping the batteries together, but the light would not turn on. "Now what was I thinking?" :thinking:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The batteries just rattle, there's nothing in the body to separate the batteries in each direction and there's a little more play to allow for those fatter batteries. It doesn't stop them from working, nor does it break contact when they rattle, it certainly doesn't bother me. I suppose if it bothered someone "that" much, they could probably use a thin paper tube or something, but that seems to be just needless tinkering.

And with the "drops" that you've already experimented with, it would seem that it doesn't impact the performance of the light either. ;)

CHC said:
I can see that from the "keyring" adding additional rattle to the light. But it rattled prior to me attaching the lanyard and ring.