Best 100+ lumen, small light

CharlesAFerg

Newly Enlightened
Let's get some suggestions! I'm looking for any light that is, preferrably, smaller than 6 inches in length that has 100 lumens or more.
-Charles

Macaw

Enlightened
Last edited:

Allnew2me

Enlightened
I have the SF 6P that with a P61 bulb is supposed to shoot 105 lumens. I don't know if that is true but it is one really bright, small light even with the P60.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3.6 volt X2, 7 Watt Golston from CPF member Mr. Xu's QualityChinaGoods.com. He may also still have a special price on the Forums for members.

It is about 5.5 inches and output about 200 lumens, sometimes a little less depends on the batteries and LED lottery. I have provided a few to law enforcement types and those folks seem impressed with them.

CharlesAFerg

Newly Enlightened
Really? 200? That seems rediculously high... Is this on flashlightreviews.com? Does anybody else have experience with this light or this Mr.Xu? I will check this out for sure if I can get some more information, I'm sure interested...
-Charles

Northern Lights said:
The 3.6 volt X2, 7 Watt Golston from CPF member Mr. Xu's QualityChinaGoods.com. He may also still have a special price on the Forums for members.

It is about 5.5 inches and output about 200 lumens, sometimes a little less depends on the batteries and LED lottery. I have provided a few to law enforcement types and those folks seem impressed with them.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm..... i think, you could but a super cutdown 1D mag then run it on li ION D cells with a lux III r/o with some sort of driver.(super cutdown as in, there is no more mag switch but a switch in the tail cap.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think chesterqw is on the right way.
F.e. a good U-bin LuxIII in a short Mag, good reflector and UCL with a Fatman.:thumbsup:
I would be careful with an overdriven light like the Golston.

Best regards

____
Tom

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize this is the LED forum, but this light is five inches long and produces 350+ lumens for 35 minutes. Rechargeable, too.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
bfg9000 said:
I realize this is the LED forum, but this light is five inches long and produces 350+ lumens for 35 minutes. Rechargeable, too.

HID:
  • Can't use it in repeated momentary use
  • It will break if you drop it
  • $280?!

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ Charles AFerg:)

For which uses you want the light?

My maxim is "You get what you pay for". And my experience is, that's mostly true.
F.e. I own several "LED-Lenser" lights. They costs here in Europe much more than oversees. Why? Is there a reason for? It's a german brand.
But in comparrisons with other lights, they are junk:thumbsdow

If I will buy a new light, it must be reliable in any situation of my uses.

So I would spend more money for a well build, reliable technology light with high-grade parts on it.

Surely, there are a lot of cheap "eyecatcher" lights on the market.
And for a lot of people these lights will satisfy their pretensions.

But if you want rely on your light "Pay what you get for":)

Best regards

____
Tom

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDninja said:

I second that motion. Peter Gransee of Arc has done intergrated sphere testing of some LED lights. The Fire~Fly III punches around 75 lumens at the first minute and 72 lumens at the second minute with a premium bin T--H Luxeon III at one amp.

HDS Ultra 60 punches 62 lumens and McGizmo 2 cell light pushes 68 lumens. Your option is either a LuxeonV or multiple Luxeon III's to break the actual out of the front of the light 100 lumens. Elektrolumens My Little Friend has three Luxeon III's so it should meet your requirements.

KuoH

Newly Enlightened
Are you sure about that 200 lumen output? I've got one of the 3.6x2 Golstons from Dae running on LIRs and it doesn't seem to be discernably brighter than the CPF VB16 4 watt. Guess I haven't been in flashlight collecting long enough, but I would've thought 200 lumens would be much brighter.

KuoH

Northern Lights said:

It is about 5.5 inches and output about 200 lumens, sometimes a little less depends on the batteries and LED lottery.

rikvee

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF CharlesAFerg!

Less than 6 inches long pretty much includes all 2-cell lights.
More than 100 Lumens means incandescent, and in that size less than 20 min runtime...

- the winner in that category is a P90/G90 bulb driven by 2 R123's
- a 3-cell light could run the same bulb for longer in a safer way (on two protected 17500's)
- drop to less than 100 Lumens and you can have a smaller size and a longer runtime on LED's (Pelican M6 3W LED is excellent)

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once I get the bodies cut, I'll be offering a 1D cut down Mag Quad-Lux that'll crank out an estimated 240 Lumens for about an 1 1/2 hours from a single NIMH 12 Ah D cell for $175. I will also offer a PIC controller option with high, low, and flashing modes for another $25. Leef will have my first pre-production models this week. I shipped them out Priority on Friday.

Last edited:

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the golston has a good reflector to my opinion but thats about it. It has never 200 Lumen - the LED is a Luxeon Knock Off 3W that is overdriven. Forget 200 Lumen, its probably more like 100 but with an excellent reflector...