ever actually need your lights?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i find myself with all these lights, and nothing to do with them. Kinda stinks- makes me think i am wasting my money.

-David

jwl

Enlightened
David - depending where you are in Kansas you might actually get to use them tonight. (if you're in the road of those storms that are on the radar, I am.) Then you might get to use them during a blackout, hopefully that's as bad as it gets.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am or was legally blind and used one all the time in a lit room to find stuff, read fine print or see in the cabnets. One problem I had was never being able to find one when needed or one bright enough. Second, it seemed led worked best, however none of them were bright enough and I would buy every new model that came on the shelf at walmart or target.

Since I got my new glasses, they dont have the same effect I use to have, but still find I need one for the few moments I go into closets, cabnets, bottom of file cabnets, etc.

howiesatwork

Newly Enlightened
Yep, every day at work.
At home in the garage, where the lighting sucks, too.
Used one the other week changing a tire in the dark (had to do it again, because the spare was flat).

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an idea!

Send me those lights and when you feel the withdrawal setting in, let me know, deal?:lolsign: :nana: :p

I use mine every day from the photons all the way up to HID

Soooo... How much for that Neo T3?

AlexGT

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome to the forums howie.... why dont u stay a while. :)

-david

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
cheapo said:
i find myself with all these lights, and nothing to do with them. Kinda stinks- makes me think i am wasting my money.

-David

Maybe you are. Personally, I like lights, lots of nice lights. Sure you cant use them every hour of every day. But when you need a light, its nice to have one, and one that is overkill at that. :rock:

I consider myself a casual collector of lights. I dont have to have every custom mod, but if I see something that strikes me, I want it. Doi I feel like I'm wasting money? Nah.

You can pretty much sell a light on CPF for what you paid for it (Custom lights), assuming you take good care of it!

roguesw

Enlightened
cheapo
maybe you can try rotation of your lights, carry a different one everyday, so that none of them feel neglected, then, make sure u light up for a full minute everyday so that each one of them are used
that way, u are keeping the flashaholic spirit burning bright
or u could send some my way and i would treat them all with respect :)
cheers
Des

carrot

Flashaholic
I really don't need such powerful lights. I could get by just fine with a 5mm LED light like the Streamlight Stylus or a Minimag + NiteIze. In fact, I usually only use my A2 on low for that reason. I work on computers a lot at my school, and a lot of times, a light is incredibly handy for peering inside dusty machines. But most of my lights-- those are overkill. But once in awhile, I find myself glad I have such a bright light, whether it's showing some unenlightened person that their Maglite isn't the brightest pocket light around, or spotting that "threatening" stray cat in a dark alley.

I'm sure a lot of us take extra steps just to justify our lights...

NeoteriX

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I feel like I want to check out an old abandoned house and go exploring just so I can break out the flashlight :)

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
jwl said:
David - depending where you are in Kansas you might actually get to use them tonight.
If my time in Kansas is any indication, finding anything to occupy your time is precious.

Actually, last time I was in Kansas, we had quite a bit of fun (except the mosquitos) running around the farm at night with flashlights.

nuggett

Enlightened
Go for a walk at night, its healthy for you and makes your lights happy.

PJ

Enlightened
I got to use one last night. Our company had its annual Employee of the Year banquet at a hotel ballroom. Right after dinner they started drawing names for door prizes. After about 5 names the lights dimmed and then went out. Everyone stayed calm and about a dozen people started using their cell phones to try to read the names. I had a Dorcy Super 1 Watt 1x123 with a stop-light green Luxeon in my pocket. I fired that baby up and caught everyone off guard. I took it to the front of the room and offered it up to keep reading but no one wanted to use it. I then offered the Arc AAA from my keys and still no takers. I went back to the table and set it up to bounce of the ceiling. It worked out well until the lights came back on in 10 minutes or so. I couldn't tell for sure but I got some weird looks for having such a bright green light in my pocket. I'll bring it to work tomorrow and see if anyone remembers it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I don't need a bright one very often, but whatever pocket light(s) I happen to be carrying around the house at night see a fair amount of use, instead of regular room lights.

Geoff

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to show off to LEOs alot or put their maglite/streamlight to shame. Basically the whole I have a brighter flashlight so suck it. And it doesnt hurt to practice on regular people everyday. Of course some of you will think that as immature but hey what do u expect from a teen.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Cheapo,

Correct you are. You are wasting money and time on too many lights. If you don't get your money's worth of enjoyment from the lights, or are sacrificing more important things, like saving for retirement or putting kids through school - time to re-evaluate the situation.

I'm way way past having enough lights to meet my every need - but am still always looking. In my case, I now look, read, and investigate new lights far far more than actually purchasing them. I also am starting to give away a lot of lights. Yes - a couple hundred lights is probably more than I "really" need :)

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a HOBBY, which may - occasionally - have some practical value, or at least provide a little convenience sometimes; but it's point is not to meet a universal need. Certainly not after the first one or two you own.

You should be enjoying them even when you don't need them or you are indeed wasting your money.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine all the time on hikes and night rides. ANd in the city of Berkeley there are many dark nooks and crannies, so it never hurts to have one...

WHen I'm back in my hometown, we have the spetacular Santa Cruz Mountains to play in, or the beach at night. Life is never dull when you are on the go....

tobjectpascal

Banned
Yup, as a Security Gaurd, i use them all the time at night, to inspect fences, make sure doors are locked, etc etc...

But i want to get into a situation where there's a powercut or something like that where i live so i can switch on my 10 million candle power torch and go ner ner to the neighbours, but in the last 3 years i've been here, no such luck lol...

out of curiosity, I've also got a 12 volt battery on trickle charge constantly which is connected to an 800 watt inverter, i've also got a small portable Generator which if need be, i can use to charge the battery which in turns powers the inverter which in turns powers all the lights in the house...

I'm what you might call paranoid and always ready for a nuclear fall out, got all the lights, can't say the same for food supply though, i'd run out of food before i'd run out of light :ohgeez: