what r IR leds used 4?

bexteck

Enlightened
Two things come to mind right away. Almost all remote controls use IR LED's to send a signal to the device they control. Also, IR LED's are sometimes used with night vision or security cameras since they will see the IR light, but it will not be visible to the naked eye.

BobVA

Enlightened
Pretty much every electro optical system that doesn't have to be visible. IR LED's are cheaper than visible ones and nicely match the sensitivity of common detectors, so IR is usually first the choice.

Examples (cribbing some from above to keep the list complete):
Remote controls
Opto isolaters (isolates two sections of a circuit by optically coupling a signal from one section to the other)
Position sensors (industrial, inside VCR's, etc.)
Beam break detectors (industrial control, safety interlocks, security systems)
Optical scanners (grading "fill in the dot" sheets, etc.)
Fiber optic communications (short range; long range uses semi-conductor lasers)
And, since semiconductor lasers are specialized LED's, you can add long range fiber optic communications, pump lasers for other colors, etc.

And, as pointed out above, they can also be used to hide illumination from people, either for covertness or to avoid distraction, when used for lighting or signalling.

Cheers,
Bob

Miracle

Enlightened
can I use IR to detect heat ?

for example if some 1 stood on the floor bare footed

if I shine IR light on it, his heat trial wills how up?

:huh2:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Miracle said:
can I use IR to detect heat ?

for example if some 1 stood on the floor bare footed

if I shine IR light on it, his heat trial wills how up?

You will need a thermal imaging device to see something like that. Thermal imaging devices operate at much lower wavelengths than the most common IR LEDs which are techically "near IR" and typically barely visible to the naked eye.

Shining near IR on something that's absorbed heat from something (like a bare foot) won't do much anything.

Latest posts