3" fivemega reflector melted

flex76italy

Enlightened
I've tested a 100W bulb for only 30 sec. with 3" smooth reflector, and the coating has melted around the bulb........possible?

I've tried some M2 reflector by Modamag with the same bulb for more time, absolutely no problems, these M2 have the bullet proof coating, very well made!

Now i have a bad beam due the melting, and i don't have a replacement :(

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to here about your reflector..... Why in the B/S/T Forum?

Is this your WTB a 3" reflector post too :)

Mac

flex76italy

Enlightened
cmacclel said:
Sorry to here about your reflector..... Why in the B/S/T Forum?

Is this your WTB a 3" reflector post too :)

Mac

Sorry for my post here, but I don't know where to post...........what you have said sound hilarious, however i don't think to find another 3" reflector.

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's not good. Are there any replacements available and how much wattage in a hotwire can these handle? I was hoping to use one on a 100w light.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bogus1 said:
That's not good. Are there any replacements available and how much wattage in a hotwire can these handle? I was hoping to use one on a 100w light.

I had one in my 250 watter which I would say instantaneously was hotter than a 100w with no problems. However I only ran the light for 15-20 seconds at a time.

Mac

chasm22

Newly Enlightened
I thought I saw posts from a couple of guys who used their FM 3" heads on their USL's??

chasm22

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one that has run on a USL from day one with no damage.

I'm surprised to hear this.

However, mine does have some orange peel, so it wouldn't be as noticeable.

Bill

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
flex,

Sorry to hear about your loss :(

Eh' just one more reason fivemege needs to make another run of these and send some into the field for torture testing :wave:

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
ouch. Perhaps see if the beam is ok on luxeon modded mag. You could use it for that I guess. A 5w I hear gets a tighter beam. LuxIII should too.

flex76italy

Enlightened
Thanks to all for the moral support, i'll try to contact Fivemega for a possible solution.

missionaryman

Enlightened
flex just to give you a possible option, I had an over driven 100w running in the Carley RF2101 75mm for over 12 min with no problem, at one stage I accidentally had the bulb touching the side (I was holding it in place by hand with an oven mit - it was a crude test mule)
But as you know these wont fit the FM head

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder how much heat does it take to melt a reflective coating? What bulb were you using? Was it the osram 64625, 62138?

AlexGT

flex76italy

Enlightened
AlexGT said:
I wonder how much heat does it take to melt a reflective coating? What bulb were you using? Was it the osram 64625, 62138?

AlexGT

Hi Alex, i've used osram 64625 at 12V.

Also my deep reflector has melted, but with 1185 bulb, in 2 min. runtime! :thumbsdow