Orb Raw reliability query

dirobesh

Enlightened
Every so often, when I put my Raw onto full power it turns off after a fraction of a second. It will do this for a few times running and then start working normally again.

My rechargeable batteries are fully charged and the Raw has not been dropped or man-handled in any way.

Has anyone else experienced this at all and if so did you manage to sort it?

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to clean the contacts? Get some Deoxit/Progold from Radio Shack. If you've got gunk or lube on the contacts, it can interfere with the operation of the light.

dirobesh

Enlightened
Not sure if it would be dirty contacts - the Raw switches off after the twisty is fully on - ie. it works and then almost immediately switches off, without the twisty being moved at all.

pianoman

Enlightened
I have an original RAW and edc it everyday...its been washed several times...and works like a charm....

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the protection in the battery. The cell has a built in circuit to stop you drawing too much current. The Raw operates right at the top of this protection so if you take it straight from the charger into full beam the protection cuts in. Either get a non protected cell, use on low for 5 mins or just leave it a few hours between charging and putting on full beam for the voltage to drop a bit.

Last edited:

dirobesh

Enlightened
It's the protection in the battery. The cell has a built in circuit to stop you drawing too much current. The Raw operates right at the top of this protection so if you take it straight from the charger into full beam the protection cuts in. Either get a non protected cell, use on low for 5 mins or just leave it a few hours between charging and putting on full beam for the voltage to drop a bit.

Ah! I didn't think of that - thanks for the info.

Dawg

Enlightened
Jay R said:
I experienced that myself, but figured it out. Now after I plop a hot one in, I run it on low for like 20 seconds to draw of a little steam and its good to go.

orb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wondered when this would catch a few of you out. :thinking:
It is the protection circuit on the PRCR2. If used straight of the charger you need to run on Low for sometimes 5 Mins just to take the Top of the cell.
Or allow your Charged Cells to rest for 24 Hours before use.
:thanks: for the faster answers chaps.