Surefire L.e.d's

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello fellow flashaholics, yes its me i need more advice i decided now i want some flood light for my night walks in oregon. Just wandering should i get the L4 or L5 i heard some problems of the l4 of the led bulb decreasing in light output but none of the l5 which of these should i buy. thanks

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm not aware of any reasons why walking at night in Oregon would be different from walking at night at any other place but if you can't fill up your own gas tank my mind boggles at what other laws there might be! :naughty:

If there is any decrease in light output as a result of the LED being used to output light it will be after a significant amount of use (perhaps 500-1000 hours) and even then you may not be able to tell even if you compared it to a second, unused flashlight that at the time of the original purchase was as similar to the one you were planning to use as your eyes could tell.

Bottomline: It is not an issue you should even be remotely concerned with (imho).

You should be concerned with how the L4 and L5 differ in features from the practical aspect of using them for illuminating [your path] on your night walks in Oregon.

The L5 is larger in length and diameter. It is also heavier. If your application does not require you carry the L5 for extended periods on your person then the difference in size and weight is not an issue.
The L5 has a larger reflector in depth and diameter resulting in a more intense beam compared to that of the L4. This will allow you to see farther ahead compared to using the L4.

If I had to pick either an L4 or an L5 to take on a night walk I would pick the L5. If I had to pick either the L4 or the L5 to carry around with me in case I needed to go on a night walk I would pick the L4 and clip it inside my pocket.

I hope this helps?

Al

P.S.
This photo shows an L5, an M2, an E2e and an L4:
L5a.jpg

There is an obvious difference in size between the L5 and L4 as you can see.
The reason the body of the L5 is significantly different in colour/hue from the bezel and the tailcap is because it is from a very early M2 (in case you were wondering)

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, well i meant to say that i own a ranch in oregon and usually have to inspect inside barns and walk about 1/2 a mile in complete darkness. I already have a L6 but not very EDCable. L5 has both flood and some spot right? Thanks for your help

Size15's

Flashaholic
The beam of the L5/U2 is very similar to the L6/L7 and very different from the L2/L4 so if you like the type of beam the L6 has you'll likely like the type of beam the L5 has.

Al

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thanks, a few questions thought a light for flood which should i get the l4 or l2? why is the l4 more expensive and the l2 has a higher output? The L5 still produces a wall of light? thanks for your help and sorry for all the questions.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L2 is about $175 and the L4 is about $165.
For the extra $10 you get such a better flashlight in my opinion.

The L2 / L4 beam will produce a similar beam shape - that is to say a 'flood' beam and a wall of light.
I consider the term 'wall of light' to mean that beam centre is very large and uniform in intensity - you can not avoid the beam when it illuminates you - it is too big.

The L5/L6 beams have intense centres which gradually decrease and blend well with the surround beam. You have to pan the beam to keep a moving or large target in the intense centre. You gain throw of course.

Al

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i am asking since many good people are here :p

when you compare the l2 to l4, is the head the same?

secondly, $8 for two stage :0

i can get the l2 for around 158 and the l4 for around 150.

and as an extra question: is the pentagon l2 good compared to the two above?

Miracle

Enlightened
it is written in reviews that the L2 will not consistenly give out 60+ lumens for 1 hour.

Has this issue been fixxed?

:huh2:

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Quickbeam reported this in the earlier models, but it's been corrected by now I'm sure..