how to change firely led

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
my original firefly led, which was changed out when new, has failed and I want to put a new led in the firefly head but can't figure out how to get to it. I've screwed the head off so now I have a threaded section where the body attaches and a threaded section where the head attaches and two o rings 3/16 of an inch apart. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Here is a link to a picture
http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/robberding/?sc=1&multi=1&addtype=local&media=image

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Keith, you will need to get an internal retaining ring plier and remove the retaining ring which holds the sandwich in the head. Picture here.

Larry

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
tvodrd, hi
I had a pair of pliers like that and easily removed the retaining ring and I took the bottom half of the 3 watt led that I had off and I guess I have to desolder the old led off of the firefly head and what is the best way to attach the new led to the old head or should I just solder the long portion of the lead coming off the head to the solder points of the led. The firefly led is soldered to the the flat washer via the small lead coming off the led?

roguesw

Enlightened
keithr
dont forget thermal compound between the led and the aluminum
just a heads up incase u havent done any LED transplants before
otherwise, u end up burning the LED.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is my first attempt at changing or modding anything with an led. What kind of compound to attach the led to the head would be good and where might I find it?

roguesw

Enlightened
keithr
arctic alumina is good, you can find it at the sandwich shoppe
arctic alumina, ceramique thermal compound, either is fine
if u want to be able to upgrade the LED in the future, dont
use the thermal epoxy, basically, once epoxied on, there is
no non destructive way to remove the LED

arctic alumina is find, squeze a small amount like the size of a small pea, enough to cover the bottom of the LED, then put a bit of pressure to make sure the LED is firm on the aluminium.

i use ceramique as i got it in a big tube at work but any thermal paste is fine
good luck with ur upgrade and enjoy

cheers
Des