Q-III vs Big Q-III

Marcus Aurelius

Newly Enlightened
My interest in flashlights began only a couple of weeks ago when my wife gave me a Nuwai Q-III for my birthday :rock:. I was blown away by how much light could be produced from such small package and in no time I was carrying it with me all the time. I really like the form factor of the Q-III but I was also interested in seeing whether I could find something similar with a better throw. So I decided to go back Amondotech (no affiliation) for a big Q-III :sold:. Here are my thoughts after having had the latter light for about two weeks. First off, My Big Q-III puts out the whitest light of all my LEDs. Where my Q-III has a hint of yellow in it, and my Dorcy Metal Gear tends toward the blue, the Big Q-III is snow white.

Second, although both are 3 watt lights, the Q-III is a single cell light measuring 3.75 inches whereas the Big Q-III takes two of the cr-123 cells and is about 5 inches long. As a result, the Big Q-III is predictably much brighter than its smaller counterpart and has a longer runtime. Since both lights appear to have the same head and reflector, the beam characteristics are the same: a powerful spot surrounded by a generous spill. The main difference is that, as you would expect, the Q-III puts out much more light. As an example, when I walk my dog through a local park at night my Q-III can throw enough light down range to illuminate the outline of a tree over 60 yards away. That is, you can see that there is a tree there, but you can't distinguish any of its features, other than its outline. The Big Q-III, in contrast, lights up the tree and most of the surrounding area enough that you can see bark patterns on the tree and other details. Because my wife and I like to spot deer in the woods near our house, we now carry the Big Q-III with us when we walk the dogs because of its ability to penetrate deeper into the woods.

Indoors, I find that the output of the Q-III is more than sufficient for any of my needs. So the extra output of the Big Q-III is not necessarily an extra advantage in this setting. However, unlike the Q-III, the Big Q-III is a two-stage light. The first click of the firm clickly turns the light onto a low setting that is great for most indoor purposes. However, it is probably too bright for reading and for most close-in work in situations in which you want to retain your night vision. Still, this gives the Big Q-III a kind of versatility that its more diminutive counterpart lacks, especially since the low setting preserves batter life.

Although I tried carrying the Big Q-III with me on a regular basis, it won't replace the Q-III either in my pocket or on my belt. I don't use a flashlight for work, just for fun, and the difference in size is just enough that the I prefer the smaller Q-III. Having said that, the big Q-III is still smaller than my old mini mag and fits easily in my back pocket and in my backpack. In fact, when I hold the big Q-III in my fist, the bezel sticks out the bottom of my hand and the switch end protrudes slight above the top. On the off chance that you know how to use a kubaton, the Big Q-III can effectively fill this role in a way that I think the smaller version cannot. That is another reason I like to carry it in my walks through the park.

As a result, I think the Big Q-III would be an great light for camping and is ideal for anyone looking for a light that has a great output that could also be used as a kubaton. So mine lives in my satchel while my Q-III lives in my pocket.

pbs357

Enlightened
Great review! :goodjob: I love my QIII too, and even more so with a 3.6v rechargeable (free lumens!). It's even brighter with the rechargeable, another plus.

QUESTION: Can the "big QIII" handle 2x3.6v rechargeables?

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran my Big Q3 on RCR123's for a few weeks OK (but YMMV!) until I dropped it (less than two feet onto a concrete floor) and broke the resistor off it's board. The DD board (it's not regulated in any way, it relies on battery internal voltage regulation) was cheap and I soldered on some new routing with copper solder wick wire for a more rubust connection instead of relying on the board's thin and not well connected ribbons.
Mine has a distinct green tint on low that mostly goes away on Hi. It is better than blue for outside use and for long time use it is easier on the eyes than blue. Just that, as a CPFer, I notice it.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
Hail Caesar,

I considered the big Q3, but opted for the Q3 for its' size. Also because I plan to install a FluPIC board to make it a multi-function light. . .2 lights to be exact - the other will be for the missus. And like pbs357 wrote, the rechargeable makes the lighter brighter than regular batteries (I was playing with it after receiving it today).

I don't know if other Q3 owners have it also, but one of the Q3 has a tactical clickie while the other is a reverse clickie. Maybe it's a malfunction? Either way, the missus gets the reverse clickie and I get to keep the tactical/malfunction clickie (haha).
ciao,

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newer ones have the standard clicky, which is really a modified reverse clicky with an added on circuit when the switch is in the middle of it's travel - it goes through an on-off-on-off cycle as you switch it off.
Dark Vapor said:
I don't know if other Q3 owners have it also, but one of the Q3 has a tactical clickie while the other is a reverse clickie. Maybe it's a malfunction? Either way, the missus gets the reverse clickie and I get to keep the tactical/malfunction clickie (haha).
ciao,

mark_on_web

Newly Enlightened
I've lost 2 of the QIII's at work - they slipped out of my pocket in conference rooms or in taxis! Now I carry the big QIII and it's never slipped out of my pocket. I prefer the smaller size, but I can't afford to keep losing them! Plus, the 2-stage switch on the larger model makes it more useful :)

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
You're right, BAAB, it's like a reverse clickie once it's on.

I know it might be a little late for you, MOW, but what I did was attach a retractable tether (made by Gear Keeper) to the Q3. The light and tether are attached to each side of my cell phone holster (Nextel but similar product was sited at COMPUSA).

As for Amondotech not showing the Nuwai's on its website, there are other web dealers that sell it. These dealers are mentioned throughout the forum on various threads.